Senior Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Vieri's Left Foot, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Senile old man. I look forward to his swift exit.

2. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Talk of Fiorentina or Everton being interested in him. For me Bove Rovella Miretti Ricci are all acceptable midfield options. Even someone like Sensi I would be happy to see if healthy. We actually have a lot of midfield depth but between suspension injury and inexperience we are in this half in half out mode with Jorginho Cristante where they are barley keeping their places and Fagioli Folorunsho not being used yet. Jorginho Cristante are likely at one tournament too far but at the same time we needed to rely on them for qualifying as Locatelli lost his confidence/form and Tonali was suspended.

3. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    yes maybe to Juve which is interesting. he needs to play regularly.

4. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    FWIW, on the Juve side neither Miretti or Rovella (ex Juve youth player) are rated.

TorontoCalabria repped this.
  5. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Yes and now even Lazio may not want him. I am more speaking of talent that could be there for depth to replace a Cristante type. I was optimistic on Rovella when I first saw him. Maybe he is not the next De Rossi as some hoped but he can maybe become a decent 5th 6th 7th option for Italy in midfield with time. I am more optimistic with Ricci of the midfielders just on the margins.

6. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @TorontoCalabria do you rate Fabbian?

he's one for me that I would have toyed with bringing along due to his age and the season he just had with Bologna.

7. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Given who is planned to come in where would he play?

8. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Spalletti will not be fired if they lose.

Gravina and he have a good relationship and given Spalletti ended his sabbatical early in time the NT's need they won't do that to him.

They will chalk it up to being unlucky, Group of Death, blah blah.

Not sure how true this is but supposedly a foreign media outlet asked him if he would play catenaccio. To which he replied that it was outdated. For simplicity I'm assuming they meant being Defensive. How can it be outdated when Madrid did it just last month? When this is all Cholo Simeone does with Atletico?

Rossonero23 repped this.
  9. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    yes for sure he is just on the cusp between Fabbian Baldanzi Pafundi Casadei I'd like to see our next attacking midfielder emerge. Fabbian is maybe ahead on performance but behind the others on having a super high ceiling. We will see how he does without Motta.

calabrese8 repped this.
  10. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    im not sure he does not seem like a Motta player I suppose as an attacking mid in a 433.

------------------------Fratessi/Fagioli
    ----------Locatelli/Rabiot--------------Douglas Luiz

something like that I suppose.

11. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Frattesi needs to find a team where he’s a regular starter every week. Im not sure Juve is the answer. In hindsight, Roma would have probably been the best destination for him. Inzaghi sees him as only a Barella sub.

12. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    The more Frattesi I see, the more it looks like he is nowhere near the level required to be playing.

Di Marco and Di Lorenzo have been very disappointing.

The Scamacca hate is way overboard given the limited opportunities he's had. Between the Spain and Croatia matches he barely had chances to play the ball and was not set up for success. To conclude that Retegui should be preferred based on the last 10 minutes of the Spain game because he ran hard only shows many don't have more than a 10 year olds' understanding of the dynamics of a match. Retegui starts with Rasp today in a completely different formation, against a so so Croatia side and people are thinking that Retegui is a magic man.

Give Scamacca a real chance. He was really good against Albania. If he truly plays poorly after given a fair shake then so be it. I don't own any Scamacca stock. But thus far, Lucio has set up Retegui for a better shot at success. And frankly, I want to see them both do well

Vieri#9 repped this.
  13. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Frattesi sometimes rather keep dribbling and losing the ball than to just shot quickly, it really pisses me off. For me tho, he should always be a super sub if we need a goal, bc he does make nice runs behind the defense. His passing and touch is sub-par.

Scamacca made some nice layoffs when he came in and his powerful shot from a far got us a corner. We need more of that, his shooting ability is out of this world but at times he is a bit timid about it bc of his slow acceleration and his insane passing ability. I would love to see Jack and Scamacca together but who knows if that happens.

azzurri06 repped this.
  14. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Calafiori suspended against the Swiss, :(

Bastoni---Buongiorno---Darmian please

Vieri's Left Foot and gumbacicc repped this.
  15. Vieri#9

Vieri#9 Member

Real Madrid
    Italy
    Oct 22, 2023
    Di Lorenzo: "I know very well that I'm not the player that played against Spain. We can certainly do better. I wouldn't have played tonight if we had another coach."

16. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    #2766 TorontoCalabria, Jun 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    I wonder if this prompts a back 4 between no Califiori and Zacagni scoring late Spalletti has every excuse to play a 433 that he wishes he could play and has been half playing even though we don't have the players for it.

I am certain that if Berardi and Zaniolo were fit he would have taken Orsolini and played a 433 with whoever played bets on the wing. I have little doubt that we will move to a 433 after the euros with the hope that one of Gnonto Pafundi Baldanzi Zaniolo can find form as a winger to play opposite of Chiesa. It is very obvious Spalletti is rejecting a 352 with every part of his being leaving the players with half in half out instructions.

17. azzurri06

azzurri06 Member

Apr 4, 2007
    san francisco
    Imagine how frustrating it must be to be an injured Spinnazola and Udogie at home watching this train wreck that goes by the name Di Marco.

Alex101 and AGomes repped this.
  18. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Going into this tournament, Dimarco was touted as a world class fullback/wingback. He has been more disappointing than anyone else. Di Lorenzo has been poor, but he didn't exactly have a great season, along with the other Napoli players on this side who have been better in the past. You almost saw it coming with Di Lorenzo. But Dimarco? WTF!?

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #2769 falvo, Jun 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
    I read how Federico Gatti's career is being compared to that of Moreno Torricelli's.

Torricelli also made the jump from an amateur club to Juventus under Trappatoni in 1992.

No one knew who he was until Trap bought him for peanuts and he also went on to the national team.

I used to see him jogging at the Cascine park in Florence but by then he was already on his way to Spain as Fiorentina was relegated.

Gatti also went from the Serie D with Verbania in 2020 to Pro Patria in C, Frosinone in B and then on to Juventus in Serie A.

He is now also on the national team and that is quite a jump.

It just shows how there is Italian talent in the lower divisions that were never given a chance or have been overlooked.

calabrese8 and Rossonero23 repped this.
  20. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Gatti's being compared to Geppetto Torricelli because both were blue collar tradesmen before making it in football.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, poor Torricelli.

He lost his wife in 2010 to leukemia when she was only 40 years old I believe and left him with three kids.

I believe he is now re-married , living in northern Italy and is a commentator for Juventus.

22. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looking ahead to the transfer market concerning Italian players:

Moise Kean is on his way to Florence. Not a bad pickup for them as they needed a new striker. I’m sure Palladino can do something with him.

Zaniolo was on the radar of Atalanta but he has been pushing for a move to Fiorentina too. Probably to join his friend Kean.

Palladino gave a press conference where he said he has high hopes for Sottil and that he thinks he can become a very important player. Let’s see what he does. Trident Sottil-Kean-Zaniolo ?

Gino22, AGomes and Azzurrifan87 repped this.
  23. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member+

Frosinone
    Mar 29, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I love the prospect of Kean and Zaniolo buckling down and just getting minutes for serie a teams that have proven track records of getting the most out of their roster.

I am concerned about where Chiesa will end up. Where do you see this?

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Kean will do ok at Fiorentina but sadly, he won't ever win anything.

25. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Chiesa remain at Juve or Bayern Munich.