Senator Specter (R-PA) Tries to Lift Stem Cell Restrictions

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DynamoKiev_USA, Jul 12, 2005.

1. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050712/ap_on_go_co/senate_stem_cells

I hope other Senators join Specter in speaking about this in similarly personal and urgent terms to counter the hypocritical language of the so-called "culture of life" conservatives.

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Stem Cell lobby, apparently finally recognizing that Ron Reagan Junior was not the best posterboy for their crusade, hooks up with cancer-stricken Senator Specter and uses his ailment as a crutch to pass Federal funding for new embryonic stem cell lines! Ridiculous if it wasn't so sad and pathetic!

3. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Culture of life = support for cancerous cells reproducing like crazy?

Got it.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, calling a Republican stalwart and committee chairman a sad and pathetic posterboy? Do the lefty moonbats know you've switched sides?

5. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when is (was) Specter a Republican? He, like Jeffords, are conservative in name only! I am sad that the man is suffering from cancer but if he inherits the title of Stem Cell bill advocate, surely he knows the GOP will come at him swinging!

6. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    The GOP is smarter than that. They realize that most reasonable people know the difference between healing millions of sick and suffering people and cells in a petri dish.

They're not going to pander to the freaks who can't figure out how simple the moral equation is.

7. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Why?

8. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Republican stalwart?

9. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly... I might positive rep you John! The GOP got where it is today by not pissing off its base of support! Protection of embryonic stem cell lines is favored by BOTH the President and the Religious Right, as well as thinking Americans all across the nation! If you think the GOP is going to abandon this issue then you are wrong! But I do like the fact that you are finally acknowedging the GOP's intellectual acumen!

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoken like a true Christian.

11. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I finally had to give the idiot negative rep. I can deal with the wacky right-wing crap, on some occassions even sympathize, but when you're risking millions of people's lives, you can go to hell.

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Im my opinion, yes. It's not his fault that the lunatics are now running the Republican asylum. He's pretty much where he's been all along, which was center-left of the Republican Party.

Initially the right-wing hate towards Specter focused primarily on his pro-choice stand.

13. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Their death is necessary in order to preserve the culture of life in this country. In their honor, Constitution Avenue will be renamed Martyrdom Boulevard.

Seriously though, where did such incredible religious fundamentalism come from in this country? ITN is not a lone wolf, there are (seemingly?) millions who share his views :confused:

14. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like how ItN makes himself look like an idiot.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoken like a true moron! Do you have anything - ever - to say on topic or do you go post-to-post hurling driveby stupidity TheSlipperyJerk?

The topic du jour is Senator Specter and Stem Cells: Think you can handle an intelligent response? Anything at all, pro or con.... let's see if you can handle it!

16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Well if you can't, why should he?

17. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    I asked you earlier why you feel it is necessary to kill the federal funding for life-saving research, but you didn't say anything.

18. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I have commented on this previously... in brief, I don't believe that public monies should be spent on it, due to the moral issues involved. Many don't like their tax money paying for such things. However, I don't believe many oppose private funding, myself included.

DynamoKiev_USA: Like abortion, the issue here is federal funding[/i] with stem cell research; move the research to private funding and the issue becomes moot! We should not force taxpayers to subsidize the murder of children, in either the embryonic stem cell issue or the abortion issue.

19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    How about in the 4 or 6 year old Iraqi citizen issue? :eek:

20. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I don't. In the immortal words of Jon Stewart, he's hurting America.