Semifinals attendance prediction

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by okcomputer, Nov 12, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Crowd looks much smaller than I was hoping for....

2. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Chicago looks better on tv in Naperville. Now the stadium looks empty.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    14,610 in Chicago. maybe it would've been better on a Saturday... But as of now, LA is still the only city that cares about the playoffs.

4. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    We were just about 10,000 off...

5. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    It didn't matter. The acoustics at Soldier seem excellent. Section 8 sounded great all night. Either that, or FSW finally figured out how to mic a crowd.

6. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they already figured out it was safe to mic Section 8 and not safe to mic the Riot Squad in LA. :)

7. OtakuFC

OtakuFC New Member

Apr 13, 2000
    Florida
    Yeah, the Fire supporters were just awesome tonight. If only all MLS matches had that kind of atmosphere.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14,610 in Chicago.

16,108 in San Jose.

Final average for this year's Pre-MLS Cup games: 13,776.

2002 average: 10,907
    2001 average: 11,227
    2000 average: 10,274

Assuming that MLS Cup is listed as a 27,000 sellout, the average for this year's playoffs will be 14,978, which will also be the highest since 1999.

9. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    i think san jose is the only team whose attendance went up during the "important" games, the playoffs?

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You are dividing by significantly fewer games in your average this time, though. It's still a good thing, but how do the total attendences compare? Is it more cost effective to have a higher average or more people? Just askin'...

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    also getting a smaller number for the final due to it being played in HDC.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously. And I don't know. I'm just saying that the last few years, pre-MLS Cup attendances have been dreadful. Given that most MLS teams are still renters, I have to believe that the Fire did better drawing 29,922 to their two playoff games this year than they did drawing 33,722 to three playoff games in 2000.

The situation might be different when everyone is in SSS's, but I don't know each team's break-even point, and whether or not the league (as many other leagues do) takes a larger percentage of playoff gate or not.

14. TG

TG New Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Aptos, CA
    SJ attendance indicates there were close to 2,000 additional fans at the game. I think its important to note that, in all actuality, there were close to 2,500 additional EARTHQUAKE FANS due to the fact last week's attendance included, by my estimates, roughly 500 or more traveling GALAXY fans.

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Congrats to SJ, but anyone find it sad (I do) that SJ used to AVERAGE more than 16k 25 years ago.......and now, there are more people living in area, and more immigrants to draw upon...and yet..

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end....lalalala"...

16. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    we can say the same thing about NY/NJ and the NASL days.. blah blah blah....

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Nice site Kenn...

In reference to Cosmos, they were incomparable....so I don't try....but SJ didn't have any special draws (sure Best came later in 70s, but not 76 or 77 (I think he was still LA)...anyway, today's club has Donovan...so.....let's face it, it was just a better time for soccer then...for whatever reason (at least in Tampa/Mia, one can blame presence of major league baseball now, etc.)

19. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That crowd was absolutely amazing. I was litterally stunned. It was as loud as, or sounded like any European crowd out there. Im just unhappy that they aided in my team losing.

20. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also a great time for lava lamps and pet rocks, and did you notice the bottom of the attendance table? The budgets of the top teams were unsustainable once the fad faded for the "casual fan."

21. Quakes11

Quakes11 New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    Attendacne to the San Jose game would have been better if:

1- Owen Nolan was not making his return to the Shark tank about a mile away, and that the Sharks had their first sellout of the season that night.

2- Stanford and Cal were not playing 15 miles north at the exact same time (there were 2000+ soccer fans at that game)

3- The game against the galaxy was televised so fans could see maybe the best game in MLS history.

That being said, 16,000 looked and felt great in San Jose. I guarentee you the 16,000 that attended Saturday and the 14000 that went last Sunday (most of whome were overlapping) will stop by to check out the quakes at least a few times next season. Those were two great games with great atmospheres... the whole place was into those games.

22. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    4- if I did not have to attend a family function up in Alameda. I can't believe I actually flew up to the Bay Area for this past weekend and I was not able to make it down to Spartan for this game. The good news is that I will be at HDC for MLS Cup, my first.

Whoo hooo.