Semifinals attendance prediction

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by okcomputer, Nov 12, 2003.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    chicago-20k
    san jose-15k

2. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Optimist :)

Chicago - 35K
    San Jose - 20K

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe someone on the Fire boards will pop in and give us a good grounded estimate. the fact it's a friday night shouldn't hurt too much i would imagine.

over on teh quakes board they're a bit worried 'cauase it's owen nolan's first return trip to play the Sharks on the same night and it's almost a sure sellout for the hockey game, which may cut into the earthquakes attendance.

but i feel optimistic too:

Chi 21K
    SJ 14.5K

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Optomist as well....

Chicago - 27, 000
    San Jose - 17, 000

5. i'm an optomotrist too.

Chicago 25k
    San Jose 5k

6. woodwork

woodwork Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Cool, do you have to be a AAA member to be one of those?

7. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Attendance

Chicago:27,000

San Jose: 15,000

8. For two weekend games straight (one of which was a Friday) at Soldier Field they drew 30K and 28K. Last Sunday still drew 15K despite the day and time, 12 Noon). The papers and broadcast media have been going apey over the Fire this week, giving well deserved note to Chicago's only Championship calibre team since the Bulls in the 90s. It's a charged game, considering this season and last post-season's Rev-Fire unpredictability so all those who follow the league and team seriously will definitely be there.

For those reasons I am predicting at least 30K. I'm hoping for more than 35K, but that's just hoping.

9. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    Earthquakes sales guys have said the game is selling well. Buzz is pretty good here.

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: Attendance

Good guestimate :)

11. Steve D Mihaljevic

Jan 21, 2000
    37 k at our last semifinal game

IN 1998 we had 37k at our semifinal game against LA. We are getting great press coverage the last few days It wouldn't surprise me that we break 30k for the game. Now if the powers that be just push the game to 8PM

12. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that this game is going to break the MLS record for a playoff game (Not including MLS CUP). The record is 32,744 in 1998 Chicago vs. Los Angeles. I think the attendance will be 35,000 for this game it could have been alot better but the game is going to be on FSC. If there was no TV for this game I believe that this game could have drawn a crowd of 40,000+.

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The buzz is awesome here. News programs are still talking about the game on Sunday.

I predict 19,000. (I can't bear to go...)

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Revolution players are preparing themselves for a big crowd in Chicago:

``I think it's great that it's a one-off to go to the final. I would assume Chicago's going to have a great crowd..." Brian Kamler, New England Revolution midfielder, featured in today's Boston Herald.

In the Boston Globe, Steve Ralston ssays he's expecting a crowd of 40,000 in Chicago.

The Magpie

15. TG

TG New Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Aptos, CA
    The SJ sales office told me that they expect better attendance than last week, but they didn't want to give any numbers. Considering the effects of word of mouth from last weeks game and the fact that this game is still being talked about in the local media, I would expect a crowd of around 20,000 if there is no threat of rain, due to the increase in walk-up sales. If there is a threat of rain, that will obviously hurt the walk-up and pre- sales and I predict the attendance will then be around 16,000.

Go Quakes, I can't wait!

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago - 18.4k
    San Jose - 15.2k

17. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Spartan's capacity?

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One good thing about this is how well "large" crowds translate on TV at Spartan Stadium. With a crowd of 14,000 the other night, the stadium looked competely full, save for the end on the right side of the screen which only contained the Ultras if I'm not mistaken. But the stands opposite the TV looked completely full, behind the goal on the left looked full, adn when they did low shots from the camera side showing the camera side seats, it looked full too.

20,000 would be awesome.

19. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    Maybe I'm way off but I think Chicago will only see 18-20k, unfortunately. We've been getting a lot of press for sure but I sense ticket sales are only so-so. I hope to hell I'm wrong because 30k really rocks the place and this matchup deserves it.

So I'll predict 18-20k in Chicago and about the same in San Jose.

20. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the "soccer capacity" is 26,000.

That number may be outdated though...I've heard that there are fire code concerns or something along those lines that have limited the number of fans allowed in to somewhere even below that figure.

The listed capacity per SJSU's website is 30,456.

[​IMG]
    The left side of that image is the side the cameras face away from.

21. TG

TG New Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Aptos, CA
    No, you are not mistaken.

22. TG

TG New Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Aptos, CA
    No, you are not mistaken.

Actually, there were some empty seats on the west side(camera side). The reason for this is that
    the west side is $25.00 per seat, while the east side is $15.00. With the sun setting early, it doesn't make sense to pay the extra $10.00(unless of course your lazy; the stair climb on the east side can be brutal).

23. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Forecast is for rain saturday in San Jose. Unlikely to get over 15k.

24. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Seems to me that if they drew 14,000 with the threat of rain on Sunday, that they should have no problem getting 15,000 for this one, what with the added excitement lingering from the Galaxy game.

My prediction: 18,700.

25. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I wouldn't expect much more than 15 in Chicago. Trib today said more than 15k are expected, which means probably not much more.