Semifinal: USA v Germany [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Ikari, Oct 3, 2003.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Meinert was in China and that Mac was????

2. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    Yes, you're right with Meinert. She didn't play for Germany for 2 years after the 2001 Euros.
    Wasn't sure about MacMillan, but from the dfb.de side the lineups were:

Germany:
    Angerer
    Bresonik, Minnert (46. Hagedorn), Stegemann, Zerbe
    Odebrecht (78. Omilade), P. Wunderlich, Prinz, Garefrekes
    Wimbersky (66. Kliehm)
    M. Müller

USA:
    Scurry
    Pearce, Fawcett, Chastain, Sobrero
    Hawkins (60. Fair/68. Roberts), Hucles, Tarpley, Wagner
    Parlow (46. O´Reilly), Milbrett (75. MacMillan)

Difficult to predict the outcome based on the 4NT game. A lot of different players on both sides.

3. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Key German Players Missing in China

The U.S. did defeat Germany 1-0 at the 4NT back in January ("Danke" again for the video Woody-99 :) ), but that wasn't the same German team that the U.S. will face tomorrow. (Just thought I would also mention that it was Hawkins who scored the winning goal for the U.S., but it was Unni Lehn's goal in the last match against China that actually won the 4NT for the U.S.)

Maren Meinert retired from the German National after Germany won the European Championships in July of 2001 and just rejoined Germany's squad again a little over a month ago. Midfielder Renate Lingor also did not make the trip to China last January. ("Danke" also for posting the lineups of that match Woody-99 because I didn't see your last post until after I had finished mine.)

I'm not sure if this will be Germany's "best chance ever to beat the USA," but if Maren retires again as expected, this might be the best team that Germany will field for awhile. In any event, I agree with boingo that it is "gonna be a great game." :cool:

4. RedZion

RedZion New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Yep, and Maren made an impact on Devvyn Hawkins when she met her for the first time. Dev was shocked that Maren knew who she was, and Maren told her that she knew who she was; she scored the goal to bet her team. ;)

5. Eurekas

Eurekas New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    For attacking prowess I think Germany will win. This is going to be a nervous teat for the Americans. Norway isn't unbeatable, and the US squad is too nervy against the Norwageans. Brazil did a better job against them. If US can control the German's midfield they will win. This will be a fine;y balanced game.

6. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I'm confident we have what it takes for Germany. We've played and beat great teams. I would be bold enough to say our competition thus far has been tougher that what the Germans have faced.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am MUCH more confident about the US this game than I have been about several earlier ones.

I thought the US would do no better than a tie against North Korea for one.

The play of the front line and the lack of Chastain's lapses of concentration in the back has made this team MUCH stronger and I see no evidence of Germany having the tools to contain the attack.

THe only concern I have is if Milbert gets stuck in too soon ending the US's scoring chances.

Final - 4-1 US. (Could be 5 if the Hamm really turns it on not just scoring but assists and defense)

8. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going to beat them up with a wombat! :)

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    the germany offense is quite powerful and this match scares me a bit too, but the mental toughness of the U.S. should never be underestimated - i expect to see the goals we didn't get in the norway match - US 3-2

and just to remind all, i predicted the US over canada in the final several months ago and everyone laughed at me... could actually happen so i will put a large order of crow on pre-order - do my doubters prefer fries or baked potato?

no i am a sexiest! the sexiest of all! or as alphonse would say 'le sexiest du monde'

10. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  12. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    If the German coach moves Prinz into the middle instead of the left as against Russia, then the US is in trouble. Who can neutralize Prinz? Faucett? I doubt it. Sobrero? Should be a great game!!

13. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    isn't she the one who did not call Dagny Milgren's hands ball in the final 2000olympic and cost us a gold medal ?

14. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Get Over It!

Norway played a great match in the 2000 Olympic Final and deserved to win the Gold Medal. How would U.S. fans feel if the Chinese were complaining four years later that the only reason why the U.S. won the '99 WC was because Scurry cheated on that final PK that she saved? :confused:

15. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Renate Lingor From Karlsruhe

I would be really surprised if the U.S. is able to defeat Germany by more than two goals. Midfielder Renate Lingor is going to be one of the key players for Germany and if she has a big match today and helps to create some scoring opportunities for Prinz, Meinert,and Garefrekes, I think Germany has a chance to win.

16. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taping Warning: If you plan on taping the United States-Germany Semifinal, you may want to start taping at 7:25 pm ET as according to the bottom line ticker on ESPN2, thats when the TV coverage may begin. The ESPN TV section via their website still lists 7:30 pm ET as the starting time. Of course when you go to the World Cup section, it saids 7:30 pm ET under TV but the todays games say USA-Germany starts at 6:30 pm ET start which obviously isn't the case! So who knows when coverage will begin. Well since I'm stuck working tonight and won't be home to watch when coverage indeed begins, I'll just starting taping at 7:25 pm ET. If I get five minutes of horse racing coverage, then oh well. Hey, its better than joining in progress.

17. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Game might come down to how many PKs the US gets.

18. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    I'd hate for another bogus PK to be called. It is kind of understandable that the home team may get a bit of favoring from refs, but it would be sad to see a good match ruined because of that. And Abby does seem to be able to get away with more on the NT than in the WUSA, where she was constantly carded for brutal plays. I guess I shouldn't talk since my favorite team Atlanta Beat were certainly known for that sort of thing too.

19. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    Re: Get Over It!

yes, that pk should've been re-taken and so was that hand ball, with all do respect to Milgren but, she seemed to re-direct that ball by her left hand so that she would be able to kick it (i watched the tape over and over by the way).

20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Re: Get Over It!

Regardless of the handball call, Denencourt is a capable ref who generally calls a pretty good game. I can't say the same about Pendergrast (who I'd be willing to spend 30 days in the pokie to introduce him to my elbow and my knee).

As far as holding grudges, yes I still hold grudges including Pendergrast in Costa Rica, Ruiz for still being on the field in Guat, Gabarra for not playing Minnert until Barr was injured (and his moronic tactics), etc.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    here we go! do i need to do PBP? or is everybody watching?

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Lineups
    United States
    1 SCURRY Briana (GK)
    2 BIVENS Kylie
    4 REDDICK Cat
    7 BOXX Shannon
    9 HAMM Mia
    11 FOUDY Julie (C)
    12 PARLOW Cindy
    13 LILLY Kristine
    14 FAWCETT Joy
    15 SOBRERO Kate
    20 WAMBACH Abby

Germany
    (GK) ROTTENBERG Silke 1
    STEGEMANN Kerstin 2
    LINGOR Renate 6
    WUNDERLICH Pia 7
    PRINZ Birgit 9
    (C) WIEGMANN Bettina 10
    MINNERT Sandra 13
    MEINERT Maren 14
    HINGST Ariane 17
    GAREFREKES Kerstin 18
    GOTTSCHLICH Stefanie 19

23. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'll try and pbp, have to crane my head again :)

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i wasn't gonna do it unless it was needed

25. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    From what little I'm catching, Germany seems to be owning the midfield.