Semifinal: USA v Germany [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Ikari, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree this will be the first real test for the entire US team since Germany is the only team capable of matching them on all fronts. Until Riise came in late, Norway's offense didn't have anyone to *create* much problem for the US backline and they didn't seem to be pushing enough people up to do anything elsewise. Germany plays an attacking style where they WILL push bodies upfield to pressure the backline and both Meinert and Prinz will need to be monitored closely the entire game.

It's too bad Steffi Jones got injured. I was really hoping to see her and former teammate Wambach go at it.

And I'll have to say that Prinz > Wambach in almost every way. They're equal on tenacity but Wambach is just too sloppy (elbows & kicks flying everywhere!). In dribbling speed, playmaking, and maturity, Prinz is more sophisticated by far.

Someone made a good point about them being two different types of players, but I measure forwards by their total offensive contributions and Prinz supplies much more than Abby.

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Prinz is a better finisher than Wambach. Whilst Abby is better in the air.

While Meinert is a concern, Boxx should be able to slow her. I'm not sure the US has an answer for Garefrekes, though. She reminds me of Klinnsman -the way that she runs - but plays R-Mid than FWD

The way to beat Germany is quick passes down the middle after pulling Hingst out of position. Wombat over the top is always an option, but Minnert will be tough to beat in the air - better to attack her with speed.

Prinz seems to like playing out Left which I find surprising. She loves going to her left to beat defenders.

Predictions of US fatigue may be onerous. While Germany had opportunities to rest their offensive stars, the coach decided to play Meinert (30) and Prinz (25) every minute while only resting Weigmann (31) for 38 minutes and Lingor (27) for 27 minutes.

The US offense is much better rested with Mia (31) playing only 3 of the games, Abby (23) only 2.5 games, Parlow (25) little more than 2 games.

The only concern would be Lily (32) who only had a half off, but she has amazing energy and recuperative powers and Foudy (32) only had 55 minutes off.

I think Lily should be able to beat Steggman down the left to setup crossing opportunities.

Wildest prediction - late heriocs - Shannon Macmillan coming off the bench.

In PK, I favor US Scurry is a better athlete. Meinert's last meaningful PK was stopped by Siri in WUSA playoffs.

US should be able to win 2-1.

3. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Don't forget the 12th man in this match: PGE Park crammed with 30,000 USA partisans. This is a huge advantage together with a pretty fair USA team that defeated a good Norway team not a weak Russia team. Germany had the luck of an easy draw; will they continue their run against top competition? Maybe, but I'm not convinced.

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had to remind me of this.

No. Meinert's last meaningful PK nearly took my head off 30 yards behind the goal. I was closer to catching that ball when it landed than Siri ever was. :(

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Germany has not had an 'easy' draw, although they've certainly helped make it look that way by playing very effectively. It wasn't as hard as the US draw, but it hasn't been a cakewalk.

That's the key loss, even though Steffi Jones has not been at peak form for a while I'm sure she could have competed at least effectively against Wambach and raised her game in this match to do it. I think the other defenders, including Minnert, will find it too physically tough for a full 90 minutes or longer.

US to win 3-2, again, and this will be Wambach's best match of the tournament. But it will be tight.

6. joan6

joan6 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    comparisons

So true. Prinz herself has said she hates heading the ball - Wambach prides herself on her timing and power in the air. Prinz is also 4-5 years older than Wambach and has that much more playing experience, so it's no surprise her technical ability is better than Wambach's. But Abby is playing pretty well already, and she's just 23. Her game is only going to improve. She has scored great goals with her feet as well as her head, and her ability to see the play and feed the ball to her teammates is coming along well. If you've only seen her play these few World Cup matches, you haven't seen everything she brings to the game.

For those who think Wambach is "sloppy" and a "thug" - Charmaine Hooper said it best when she said if you don't like to play physical, you need to find another sport - soccer is not for you.

As to the first half of Germany-Russia, Germany was, frankly, very sloppy and I wasn't very impressed. They gave away a lot of balls in midfield, and Russia didn't take advantage. If they give that many balls to the US midfield, they will be punished.

Second half, it was a whole different team. Will be interesting to see if Germany shows up from the first whistle in the semis, or if they will again take 40 minutes to get going.

7. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have said that Wambach is *much* better in the air. I was really surprised last year to see Prinz come to the WUSA and end up taking corner kicks instead of Hege Riise - it made me think at the time that she had 'Akide Syndrome' :).

While Birgit isn't afraid of the ball, she seldom seems to be in position to do any heading (yes, I know about that one goal this World Cup, it surprised me a lot to see her semi-dive forward to get her head on it!.0

So, who will be playing defensive midfielder in place of Steffi Jones? Will the other midfielders be able to get back to help out when possession changes and the US starts their counter-attacks?

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    In the ARG game, Steffi was playing center back. Lingor was playing def mid (and same against RUS).

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I have only watched the US and German teams in the knockout round of this tournament. I was much more impressed by the German team. With the exception of Wambach and Boxx (and to a less degree Hamm), the US team has not impressed me at all. The passes were not crisp and something seems amiss with the team. If these two matches were good indications of the forms of these two teams, I expect the Germans to win (2:1).

10. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth

..but this group of girls is amazing, they'll always find the way to win, there are two advantages over Germany, mental toughness and game tactic other than that, both teams are equal, physicaly,technicaly, height etc

11. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Re: comparisons

I'm tired of people equating physical play with sloppy play. AC Milan's Maldini has been a physical player all of his career (running hard up the field to support the offense while regularly pressing and making strong tackles in defense) but he's never been known as a *sloppy* player. The same can be said of Nedved, Giggs, Prinz, etc. Do I admire Hooper, Wambach, and the entire Nigerian WNT players for their aggressive tenacity? Yes. Do I think they also have a tendency for dangerous play earning them too many yellow cards? YES!

12. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tactically they are similar. US is playing almost like Germany men's team, and so is Germany women's team.

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a neutral field, all conditions equal, I'd strongly favor Germany. On home soil, I give a very slight edge to USA. Flying across the country a few days before the game, the edge swings back to Germany. Playing on one day's less rest, the edge tilts back to the U.S.

Gonna be close. Should be a classic.

14. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    I agree, Flashman. It reminds me of the '99 final between China-US. Though China looked to be the better team in the run up to that match (likely the best team I'd ever seen), the US stepped up its workrate and pressured the Chinese off their game.

Scurry and her backline haven't had much to do this tournament so I'm predicting this will be a match that seperates the women from the girls. We'll see which rookies are really as good as people claim them to be. An early yellow card could certainly throw Abby off her game, and another controversial penalty favoring the US could ruin a very close match. Hopefully the ref will be reasonable and not mess everything up.

15. RedZion

RedZion New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Exactly.

This is why I believe it may very well come down to the psychological factor. Which team is better mentally prepared. The team that executes best mentally and physically will win.

16. Tom T

Tom T New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Soccer Wasteland
    Re: comparisons

After reading through these, I was thinking it was maybe just me. But like joan6, I wasn't impressed - particularly in the first 45 minutes. I thought that the pace was about 3/4's of the U.S. games (at best). But, it's not the first time I've witnessed a better team play down to a lesser opponent's level.

Should be a good game but I think the US power and speed will prevail. I don't think you can use the Germany- Russia game as any indication of what the US - Germany game will be. Russia was tapped -out, gave-up or whatever.

And......Say what you want about the big, strong players but without Akers in '99 ( and prior) and Wambach in '03, where would we be?
    There's no doubt in my mind that our big, strong players are the advantage - Wambach, the much maligned and doesn't deserve it Parlow, Fotopolous, Welsh, .....there are many and not enough spots.

And.......... although off topic, WHEN women's professional soccer resumes, somebody best get over to Russia and sign that 16 year old Elena Danilova. DiCicco was right, she should have started - not that it would have changed the outcome much but

17. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    You are a sexiest !

18. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    not sure they'll ALWAYS find a way to win, but at home, i wouldn't bet against 'em. they really do seem to will themselves to win. felt this way in '99 as well. despite mixed play. we have a strong, organized defense, including the world's best gk, and weapons all over the field & bench. germany has looked fantastic, but with the fallen form of norway and china, the truth is that no other team really even comes close to us.

19. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  20. boingo

boingo Member

Forward Madison FC
    Feb 17, 2003
    WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am concerned about Pearce's passes through the middle, Reddick has come about lately in that department. Prinz will be a constant companion around our back line; Scurry beware! 30 yard strikes anyone?

I would like to see Hamm and Lilly push forward to mix in some great footwork and shots to complement Air Wambach and Parlow headers. Germans will be looking for the air game and have the skill and height to defend it. Mix it up and throw them off, we need goals in the run of play.

While Wambach doesn't have great foot skills (yet), she can drop back and win the midfield headers when we have the Hamm/Lilly combos.

Pressure Meinert and Minnert and keep their defense spread.

Both teams have what it takes to beat each other: Both well oiled machines, but I believe the US holds the bigger wrench to throw into their scheme.

Gonna be a great game. (heart palpitations starting)

21. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    James Bond

Thanks, but I'm no James Bond... I think you mean "sexist." ;)

She has been a huge asset for the US and every team needs a player who is going to scrap around and mix things up a bit. However, she gets a little too reckless with her challenges at times -- that's all I'm saying. As others have said an early yellow card will neutralize her physical play.

22. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

She may be a thug, but she's our red, white, and blue thug.

Please don't ask about the nasty things I said about her when she wore that g-d Freedumb uniform. ;)

23. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth

we beat them recently at the Algarve cup and the China four nat tournament..

24. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    They weren't at Algarve.
    For Germany, I believe it's their best chance ever to beat the USA. Will that be enough, I don't know.
    Hopefully they don't blow it at set pieces

25. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Geht Deutschland!