Semifinal: Sweden v Canada [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dandal, Oct 3, 2003.

1. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you are saying may be true, but the "bunker down and hold the lead" style worked very well against China, so they had every right to think they could hold off Sweden's attack in the second half.

All in all, a very well played match by both teams.

2. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Yeah me too. On the plus side in tonight's game, I thought Lang and Sinclair had better games. I also saw Matheson pass the ball to Canadians which made me happy :) Don't know what it is about playing defence on the Canadian team that is harzardous to your health! First all those pre-WWC injuries then Morneau and Burtini!

3. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    God, I hate matches that start 4.30 in the morning. I managed to kill the alarm clock while still asleep and didn't wake up until ten minutes into the second half. And I was just taking my first sip of coffee when Canada scored. As if monday mornings ain't tough enough. Good thing that didn't last very long.

So, my view of the game was essentially canadian bunker defense with all creative play from the swedish side, who eventually managed to wear down the canadians. Those of you who saw the entire game appearently has a somewhat different view. That's good. I'll see if I can catch a Eurosport replay some time later this week.

4. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
  5. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hanna LJUNGBERG

I have to give the toughwoman award of the 03 WWC to Sweden's Hanna LJUNGBERG. I thought she took a hell of a beating in this year's WWC. She got hit by the ball many times, got roughed up a lot and she still manages to play. She is tough. Do you guys agree?

6. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    China slow, Sweden quick. That was the (obvious?) difference.

Agreed.

7. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    Re: Hanna LJUNGBERG

definetley a skilled player with sexiness to boot

8. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    great run by the canadians to get to the qf's. for me the true test of a team is who steps up in a tied game in the 2nd half...and in this case it was sweden all the way, w/ an utterly dominating performance. canada seemed unable to lift their game when it counted...and by that i mean threatening in any way. sweden's the most improved team in this tourney, imo, and won't be surprised if they beat the germans.

9. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    "definetley a skilled player with sexiness to boot"

For sure. And Tornqvist as well. Anyway, the field was bad. Too many players were slipping. That is not good.

10. joan6

joan6 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Don't know if you were at the game or watching on TV, but I was there and I'll tell you why I think she got subbed - she was losing control of her emotions and was about to get herself into a boat load of trouble.

Not too long before the substitution, one of Sweden's players tackled the ball away from her and her response was to wrap her arm around the other player's neck (World Wrestling Federation-style) and pull her down to the ground. The ref warned her but should have given her at least a yellow card. It was one of the more flagrant, ridiculous fouls I've seen in the tournament.

11. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    You're right. I saw that and later she was really crying on the bench even before the 2nd goal. Okay. I understand but they needed a spark. She was one of them. But Hooper then should have been moved up quicker then.

12. otto

otto New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    The Belly of the Beast
    Canada tried to take the exact same approach as they did against China. Score first goal. Sub out Latham. Bring in defensive players. Bunker down. Unfortunately for them, Sweden did their homework and had enough attacking creativity to break through Canada's defense.

I really really hate teams that use bunker defense by sitting on a 1-0 lead. I know you can win some games that way but it's the most boring kind of soccer to watch. And as with this game, you sometimes pay the price, just as Italy did against South Korea in WC2002.

13. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Canada really seemed tired midway through the second half. Like the China game they tried their best to hang on to a 1-0 lead, but this time there was no gas left in the tank. You knew it was only going to be a matter of time for Sweden to score. But it was a brave effort by the Canadians and this team should only get better with time. Good job by the Canadian coach, too -- he did an excellent job maximizing his resources...

14. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw that on the replay -- it made me laugh. Probably more out of exhaustion/frustration than anything malicious, but still uncalled for...

15. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    There you go on about fouls again. This losing control stuff is a big issue with you. First Hooper and now Latham.

Latham played the way she always does. She gives as good as she gets and never backs down from anyone. Pellerud subbed her out and Wilkinson in for the same reason he did against China. Nothing as dramatic as an emotional crisis. She'd run her butt off all game and was almost out of gas. With one lone striker, Pellerud wanted fresh legs up front to pressure defenders and run down long balls.

16. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    #1 Canada got to the semi-finals (not the 1/4's)

#2 Sweden definitely had more chances ( 7 to 4 SOG's) but imo you've overstated your case. Canada actually scored first on a great free kick by Kara Lang. Then Canada bunkered and held the lead till the 79'th minute. With 11 minutes to go and 0 goals, Sweden looked in serious danger of losing to Canada the same way China did. Good chances, possession etc. but nothing to show for it. Hooper (for one) got caught napping on a heads-up, quick restart by Sweden in front of the Canadian box. Sweden scored, got renewed energy and turned up the pressure. Canada's make-shift back line became a bit panicky and Sweden took advantage for the second goal. Time was short, Canada needed a goal and switched to an offensive formation. Sweden gave up some dangerous free kicks into their box (similar to Canada's winner against China). Lang had Canada's best chance at the equalizer in the dying minutes but just couldn't get her foot on a goal line re-direction. Game over.

#3 Statistically, Canada Sweden and Germany are the most improved teams. Germany and Sweden lost in the 1/4 finals in '99 and are in the '03 finals. Canada went from elimination in '99 group play to the 0'3 semi's. Ranked #12, Canada's run to the bronze medal game might considered a bigger improvement than #3 Germany and #5 Sweden's run to the finals. Props to all 3 teams.

#4 I hope Sweden gives Germany a run for their money. I'd be surprised if Germany loses but I really don't care who wins. Good luck to both.

17. joan6

joan6 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    unless you've seen her play a lot of times, as i have, and do this sort of thing in almost every game. then you start to wonder what kind of attitude problem she has. she shoved a chinese player in the back with both hands when the ball wasn't even in play. i think she has a few issues she needs to work out off the field.

it's one thing to play physical, and it's another thing to bring out the wrestling moves in the middle of the pitch. the thing that irks me is that canada obviously has skilled players, but then they go and do that sort of thing which, frankly, with a ref who is not asleep, can get your whole team in a bad spot.

i wish they would realize they can play a better quality of game and leave this stuff to the high school kids. it's time to grow up and move their game up a level. clearly their play in this tournament has shown they have the skill, now if they can just find the maturity and mental focus to stop this kind of BS.

18. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Latham didn't even get a card on the play you're so fixated on and she doesn't have an attitude problem. She plays tough in every game and scores lots of goals, that's why she was WUSA Rookie of the Year. Give it a rest.

19. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    points well-taken. but in the end, what i saw was a canadien team that was beaten w/ a TYING goal after having scored on a very loose goal against the run of play. w/ the score 1-1, one team kept up the pressure, fully took control, and deservingly won.

20. auger9

auger9 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    Ontario
    Im still very impressed with canada. Never winning a single WC game, then qualify for the semis.

the canucks said that when canada was called for 'that' foul, they just kinda stopped to take a breather, Sweden took advantage and scored...funny how something so little can cost you everything.

I've been most impressed with canada and germany this tournament. I hope germany slaughters the swedes. I've been very impressed with Latham (@ the beginning) and Lang...and Swiatek.

What's the average age of the canadian team...23? Take out Hooper, Neil, Burtini (their only old players) and they're probably barely legal Canadian drinking age. The average won't be any older for the next WC. After this, Kara Lang can be in 4 more WCs and 5 more olympics before she's 33...

I loved Latham's wrestling moves out there...

21. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA