Semifinal: Sweden v Canada [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dandal, Oct 3, 2003.

1. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Re: Happy Birthday Silvana!

for a second there you had me flipping out for missing a CWNT players' bday ... but ... er ... silvana's birthday is on may 10th ... i checked at a few places too to be sure.

but either way, it'll be intersting to see what coach pellerud will do with his lineup w/izzy injured :(

elaine

2. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
  3. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    The referee for this game, Elovirta Katriina, has done two games so far this tournament. She did the Japan-Argentina match and the China-Australia match.

4. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Though I'm happy for Canada's progress over the years, it's pretty hard for me to cheer their style. I guess I'll be pulling for Sweden with their quicker and cleaner physical approach. That Jane Toernqvist is an absolute doll too. Her awareness and composure on defense reminds me a lot of Baresi. I can't believe MasterCard's All-Star ballot has her listed as a forward!?! And their options for midfield are a bit short while the forwards section is overstacked.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/fifamc_2003/static/ballot_en.html

5. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Accuracy of Information at the FIFA site

Sorry, but I guess I should have known better than to trust the FIFA site and post any personal information about a Canadian player without double checking with Elaine first. ;) (BTW - did you receive any of the PMs I have sent to you during the past couple of days Elaine??)

It doesn't look like anyone was double-checking a lot of the information that was posted at the FIFA site because I came across a lot of mistakes in articles posted at the Norwegian site. :rolleyes: In any event, here's the link to the FIFA information about Silvana Burtini that incorrectly gives her birth date as October 5, 1969:

17 BURTINI Silvana

6. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    "Though I'm happy for Canada's progress over the years, it's pretty hard for me to cheer their style. I guess I'll be pulling for Sweden with their quicker and cleaner physical approach. That Jane Toernqvist is an absolute doll too. Her awareness and composure on defense reminds me a lot of Baresi. I can't believe MasterCard's All-Star ballot has her listed as a forward!?! And their options for midfield are a bit short while the forwards section is overstacked"

All true and no Swiatek for goalkeeper either.

Go Canada! But I have liked the Swedes as well. Underdog rules apply then.

The place'll be rocking cause it's Soccer tonight!

7. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    Looking forward to two international derbys for the finals.

8. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Solid first half for both teams. Good performances from the keepers.

9. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Sweden has had a ton of chances and just missed high or wide. Canada takes advantage of their chance, Lang with a rocket shot off the free kick, 1-0 Canada. A Canada-Germany final could be ugly, style wise.

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The ball had an attitude."

That almost makes sense, Tony. ;)

11. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Sweden ties it off a quick restart.

12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It's too bad that everyone has left. I didn't see much of the first hal, but this has been some of the most exciting soccer, male or female, I've seen all year.

13. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Oh, I'm watching..Just being quiet...:)

Sweden just scored another one
    2-1 sweden

14. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Sweden goes ahead in the 86th minute. USA-Canada for 3rd place? That would be a match.

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada just looks tired.

lack of conditioning.

some of them have looked tired since before the half.

16. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    They've been chasing Sweden the entire match. Valiant effort by Canada, but Sweden played very well tonight.

17. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time. Congrats to Sweden

18. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Done deal.
    Germany-Sweden final!
    Can't wait!

19. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Great performance by both teams but Pellerud gave in too early. Should have kept on Latham to counter-balance the bunker defense. She was their best offensive player tonight. She could have given them more time to get downfield. But overall Canada just didn't have the energy after the late goal. That being said, Sweden has the attacking tandem in the world right now.

20. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Too bad. Hate that bunker style. Timko belongs in mid-field, but what can you do.............

Sweden deserved to win with all those chances, but man oh man did Canada almost pull it off! :)

21. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    SON OF A .... so close.

Good game, back and forth. Sweden had the better chances and they finished when it counted.

Lang strike was a beaut.

Both of Sweden's were beaut's and smart.

We were close.

22. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    SO FRICKEN CLOSE!

But you knew after they scored the first, then they kept pressuring and we could barely clear it let alone create a chance for ourselves that we weren't going to take it.

I mean, I still had faith, but they were creating so many chances.

23. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Yeah, I know, Canada started the second half not so bad. Thought they really took it to the Swedes, then Lang scored Canada bunkered and got shelled!

Nice bizarre call by the ref in the second half. The one where she called the ball back for a foul on Hooper after the Swedish player had got safely around Hooper and was heading towards the goal. Clearly the Swedes were unhappy and really who could blame them.............

Thought Sweden owned the first half and we had a few horseshoes.

24. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    We shouldn't have bunker after Kara's goal. It shuld have been OBVIOUS to Even that Sweden's strikers were far to quick for our defenders (I think each of them were made to look fairly silly on a couple occasions).

Our bunker shortened the field ... to half the size ... and gave Sweden more chances to hold the ball and create chances then they would hav normally had if we had continued doing what we were doing.

We are at our best when Kara is running that god damn flank, not sitting on a back line.

25. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    11 minutes from a silver medal. Well done Canada!! :) Next stop the Olympics. Hope we have our back line healthy.