Semifinal #2: USA vs. BRA (9/27; PRE & PBP) [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Charge!, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Absolutely.

2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good...maybe we'll win at least one of those...:eek:

3. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Great players, make great plays, in big games.
    She set her own high bar, I like the attitude and conviction.

High profile players in other sports don't set the high bar?

Maybe what we need is a little more attitude and outspokeness.......
    Works in every other sport.

just something to ponder.............

thesoccerphantom

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    +1.

5. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    You're probably right. She will be pressured. And if she can, she should withstand that pressure. The USSF needs to apologize for mis-handling the entire travesty of the youth and national team system for the past 10 years. And then Ryan needs to apologize for not speaking to Solo weeks ago about this possible move. And Scurry needs to apologize to Solo for walking into a position that was clearly not hers to take. Then Ryan needs to apologize to Tarpley for inexplicably not using her. Then the 91ers who played in the WWC03 and Oly04 need to apologize to the youth on this team for squatting on their dreams and robbing them of the experience they should have had for this tournament.

Hope owes an apology to no one. And she should sit against Norway, selected or not. She did her part getting the US to the semis. Her time is coming...

6. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Actually, they didn't play all that well. While they looked more dangerous overall than Germany, Lilly and Wambach were absent in that game just like they were in this one. In 2003, Lilly was the team's attacking midfielder. They played a 4-3-3 just like this year. Hamm and Parlow were the other two forwards. Hamm did not play particularly well, many of her crosses were off. Parlow actually was pretty good but got subbed out at 51' for Wagner, who hit some good passes early and then seemed to fade. Foudy was a d-mid along with Boxx, Foudy in particular had little impact in the game. Tiffeny Milbrett came on later for Kylie Bivens and showed some speed, but Germany exposed the three remaining in the back with ease. Cat Reddick played on the outside opposite Bivens and Joy Fawcett was a bit overmatched centrally. They did test Silke Rottenberg but if they scored a goal it would have been an ugly goal. They did not play with any style in that game at all, and I don't think you can say anyone had a good game in the contest.

This was Brazil's lineup for their 2-1 loss to Sweden which knocked them out of the tournament: ANDREIA, SIMONE, JULIANA, TANIA, RENATA COSTA, FORMIGA, MARTA, ROSANA, MAYCON, KATIA, DANIELA. CRISTIANE came on as a sub. While Brazil got tied by France in their third round robin game, they beat Norway 4-1 in their second game. The US could only muster a 1-0 victory over Norway.

7. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    You've spent a coasching career looking for egotistical, mouth-running, NON-team dissenting players who put their own personal agendas before the team? Don't tell us, you've won everything in sight?

Ms. Solo has lived up to her name. Must be about how she'll be feeling back at the team hotel!

8. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    I cant say whether Hope would have saved the day but I doubt it would have been 4-0. This is arguably the worst game they played in the WC. They actually started pretty good and came out as the aggressor in the first several minutes. It appeared even and and hotly contested in what youd expect out of a a semi-final game. But that OG kicked them in the nuts (literally) though and whatever steam they may have had or created went bye bye.

10. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfectly stated about Hope. I'm glad she came out firing. If some of these players aren't vocal then they'll never get anywhere in an organization that is still living in the past.

11. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    As well as Brazil played, I really was NOT impressed with their wild theatrics and poor sportsmanship, imho, that takes the whole team down a notch.

I hope if Marta does her little "teaser-stepping" in front of Stegemann on Sunday that Stegemann will bitchslap her into the ground.

12. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I can't say for sure, but this seems to be a myth. If this were the case, why didn't more good US players sprout up from the WUSA than Boxx and Bivens (and these two are hardly nimble speed burners)? Why haven't more world class US men's players sprung forth from MLS? Landon Donovan and Freddy Adu? Give me a break.

13. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I thought their wild theatrics were well deserved. And a long time in coming.

14. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    No, what we need is LESS attitude and more self-discipline. If Solo thinks she's above the tteam structure she can just go play by her lofty self.

15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Don't want to get all Joseph Campbell on you, but that's the entire Yin/Yang beauty of the sport right there.

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL, literally? :D

17. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this team and this entire federation for that matter had no attitude before hope solo spoke her mind

18. inflames

inflames New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    what a sore loser

humble pie had taken some time in getting here

19. themchuoisu

themchuoisu New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Ryan, You're Fired ! Good Bye

20. MarshallBR

MarshallBR New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Although I, as a brazilian, can't say I'm proud of things like that, I understand why they do it. First, have in mind that most of the players in Brazil (men and women) come from the poorest layers of society, and most of them do not have access to high schools and college.

Second, this team knew they should have won that Olympics final. They were the better team that day and still lost. No matter what they say about that game not being a "revenge", it was, for some of them.

Third, the comments about brazil being a "dirty" team. I haven't watched that last friendly, and also today's game yet (hope TV shows it again later), but I don think they do it intentionally, in general. Based on what I've seen so far, It's more like clumsy moves by brazil defenders than trying to intentionally hurt the opponents.

That being said, I agree with you. Every dribble that has a purpose (scoring a goal) is welcome, but you can make a statement by outplaying the other team, without being disrespectful.

21. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Well deserved? I was referring to the Brazilian diving and dramatic pretend injuries to nonexistent fouls .... I also didn't appreciate Cristiane's applauding to the Boxx send off after Cristiane had faked a foul. AND I am not even a US supporter.

22. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said.

Cards are handed out in the mens' game when a player celebrates actually scoring a goal for taking off their shirts because it brings disrespect to the game. How on earth can a reaction like this not warrant the same?

[​IMG]

Brazil wanted the game more today. It showed begining to end. The right team won this game.

Who knows what could have been if Ryan didn't cause unneccesary unrest in the squad by finally deciding to use his bench. :rolleyes:

Oh and to add further insult to the injury, he used all 3 subs today...

Lloyd on at the half was a good move as the US needed to try to stabalize the midfield with Boxx out.

But with the other two subs, when you're already down 3-0, he decides to sub in defenders? WTF?

23. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Totally dissagree with your first statement. Watch a mens game or any one of the other countries on the tv. They may be women, but they are elite athletes and will win at all costs.

Totally agree with the second statement...........
    Put your money where your mouth is. Make your statement on the field.

Germany...................big time.

24. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    thats kindda knitpicking what happened between 2 good teams. We know Germany was good and the US was then the team to beat. Thats what happens when 2 good teams play each other; they shut each other down for a rather bland game. The 03 team didnt look near this bad in virtually every game like 07. True you could argue the 03 werent quite the calibre of old but i didnt consider them as playing like shit as I do for 07.

25. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    i doubt she says those things if she doesn't think most of the team is behind her. i just wish she'd worded it differently, as it was no way to treat scurry, who's had a glorious career. mark my words, she be apologizing for that.