Semifinal #2 Paraguay v Venezuela [R]

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by sidspaceman, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't know. A part of me wants the attacking, entertaining team to win it (Uruguay). On the other hand, Paraguay's defending is good enough to get some degree of admiration from my part. It's like Spassky vs. Petrosian on many levels. And ol' Tigran is my favorite chess player, even though he is boring as heck.

So far, I'd say only Spain and perhaps Germany are strong enough to score against Paraguay in normal time. I think it's likely it will go into extra time, and probably penalties again.

2. JohnBlah123

JohnBlah123 Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hopefully it doesnt go to penalties.... also idk about having that good of a defense i mean how many times did Venezuela hit the post?

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Only their defense is not really that good ... just extremely lucky over this short tournament.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No one has had a clear chance against them, all the chances have been muddled or from a distance or with at least one defender in the way.

That plus a good keeper is strong enough. The "palos" were due mostly to good balls, not to open chances.

5. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Paraguay played horrible but these Venecos are thugs

Good riddance, chao

6. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    I think it was 4 times... bad luck.

Too bad, imo Venezuela was the better team and should have won... but that's sort of been the theme for this tournament.

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I just woke up from this game, what did I miss? ;)

What a boring game. Venezuela was decent in extra time but for the most part, it was a competition for which team could miss the most passes.

The commentators in Canada were killing me with their Ortigoza fat jokes. They were saying that Ortigoza is an inspiration for anyine who is out of shape :D He is pretty stocky and might of had a dozen big macs before the game but the man lasted 120 minutes and even able to fight after the game so he can't be in bad shape.

Anyways, i'd like to see Paraguay win so that they could be the first team in history to win a tournament without winning a game.

Paraguay > Catenacio :D

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    post of the week!!!!

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fue un desmadre.

http://www.clarin.com/copa-america/Martino-Farias-Asad-Caruso-Lombardi_0_521347894.html

10. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    lo de 'bobo vos' se le pudo leer facil en la tv!

yeap...even en la transmision de bobovision:p se pudo leer los labios del argentino.

ahora: que desato la bronca a la salida de la cancha?

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    El problema es que todos nos entendemos todo.

Un técnico Paraguayo lo hubiera insultado en guaraní. :D

12. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    martino es Argentino!!:eek:

dudo que hable guarani

por otro lado vean lo contenta que esta esta geva:

[​IMG]

13. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Me gustó mucho más el fútbol de Venezuela.

Paraguay nunca quiso atacar, y con 10 ya fue un ratoneo sin asco.
    Llegaron a una Final sin ganar ningún partido, y podrían incluso ser campeones sin ganar ningún partido:eek:

14. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    no se, lo unico que pude ver es que Fedor le metio una mano neta a Ortigoza..! :D

15. TeSo

TeSo Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Increible lo de Paraguay. En la final sin ganar ningun partido!!!

16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    En realidad, lo que pasó es que apareció un gato, en medio de una barra de chilenos que estaba al otro lado de la cancha, y entre ellos se estaban disputando que ratón arrancaba por el escape primero,........:D

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tough luck for Juan Arango & his team mates, as they had been the better team from what I read & saw in the highlights (how many times did they hit the post?).

Would have been soooo funny if Venezuela did a Greece 2004. ;)

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Efernandez, at least this girl works out. She's got a great six-pack and is lean.

This Paraguay is the 2011 version of Argentina 1990. They play horribly against teams who at least try to score and they advance through penalty shootouts. I never imagined I'd see VENEZUELA corralling a tough team like Paraguay. Even before Paraguay went a man down Venezuela was going forward trying to score. That number 6 left nearly half the Paraguay team behind. I loved that dribble.

I hope Uruguay wins because that's where my man Diego Lugano plays.

19. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah Paraguay played horrible but in the end Venezuela have noone to blame but themselves, they couldnt beat a team playing like crap, down a man, and 2 coaches and acted shamefully after the game.

Venezuela was extremely lucky to tie the first game so I guess this was final destination for them.

20. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    We actually scored a goal, but we were unlucky because Rondon was offside and the ball went right by his shoulder.

21. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    The sad thing is that Paraguay aren't even that great defensively. Venezuela hit the wood work 4 times and forced Villar into some great saves. Similarly against Brazil Villar came up big time and time again. Personally I see them struggling mightily in WC qualifying since you actually have to win games to qualify.

Congrats to Venezuela, great tourny for them. They might have been the best team in the tourny surprisingly. Kept clean sheets vs Brazil and Ecuador, came back to tie Paraguay, beat a good Chilean squad and really outplayed a tough Paraguay side.

22. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Actually, putting aside "cinderella" and "first-time" stories...if we talk about gameplay and tactics only, Paraguay is the one pulling a Greece.

At least Greece won games :eek:

23. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    el comandante chavez, se pronuncia al respecto:

Sin embargo, el presidente amaneció hoy reiterando que el equipo venezolano debió conseguir el triunfo pues, a su juicio, el gol no debió ser anulado.

"En verdad verdad, Nuestra Vinotinto Ganó anoche! Paraguay no nos ganó ese juego. Tanto Fidel (Castro) como yo vimos clarito el Gol que nos quitaron!!", escribió Chávez y después agregó: "Pero por qué diantres ese árbitro iba a anular tan espectacular Gol? Adelantado alguno de nuestros Gloriosos Artilleros? Pues ninguno!".

El mandatario continuó reflexionando, siempre a través del Twitter: "Creo que debemos alzar nuestra voz pues tenemos Autoridad para hacerlo, ante la CONMEBOL. Saludos a nuestro gran amigo Nicolás Leo.!", dijo al referirse a Leoz, presidente de la confederación sudamericana.

"Amigo Leo, debemos cuidar nuestra Copa América! Ojalá pudiéramos conversar sobre esto", dijo, y añadió: "César (Farías, técnico venezolano) habló conmigo ese tema de "algunas cosillas" que a veces se cuelan en estas competencias! Sobre todo en el arbitraje! Revisemos, Leo!!".

Chávez cerró la cadena de mensajes reiterando las felicitaciones al equipo, a Farías y al capitán de la selección Juan Arango.

"A nuestro Director Técnico y Líder, César Farías, mi mensaje: puedes repetir como un César,junto a todos nuestros muchachos: 'VINI, VIDI, VINCI'" y seguidamente agregó: "Arango, Capitán Compatriota, desde aquí un gran abrazo

24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Mensaje desde España :

¿ Porqué no te Callas ?
    :D

25. Schnorrer

Schnorrer Member

May 17, 2005
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Maccabi Tel Aviv FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    y bueno pongale un bozal a este loco, que te pasa hijo una Venezolana te monto los cuernos que la tienes agarrada con nosotros? tranquilo que vienen las eliminatorias y ahi hablamos a ver si sigues asi de bocon..!