Semifinal #1 Germany vs Turkey [R]

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by sidspaceman, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    June 25th Germany vs Turkey from St. Jakob-Park, Basel.

No flames and no trolls.

Thank You

2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It would be so great if Turkey wins this, sadly I think they will miss too many players (and to me their key player: Nihat) to make enough of a fist to advance. :(

3. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the advantage of turkey is that you cant realy estimate them properly. Germany will have a tough time with them.

4. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    This time, Germany has the pressure though. If they lose this game, they'll be the laughing stock of Europe.

But I'm confident that this won't happen. In fact, it's not even going to be close. :cool:

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are players allowed to play in crutches? Otherwise, Turkey may have to forfeit.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm so certain that Germany is going to win it that I've put my money on them (something I seldom do).

Yet I'm so partial to the Turks for their huge hearts that, were they to win, I wouldn't rue losing the money at all.

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Sounds like a win-win situation for you ;)

8. HakanGS

HakanGS Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas & Turkiye
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    may this be the biggest game of all!
    it is just getting harder to find a new realistic scenario that will top the previous two Turkish games.

9. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly how many players will Turkey be able to dress for this game?

10. HakanGS

HakanGS Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas & Turkiye
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    14. Just enough.

11. midnightman

midnightman Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Don't like either team, but I'm afraid Germany will win the whole damn thing.

Russia might be able to stop Germany

12. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Amazingly, Turkey is setting up the 3rd string goalkeeper to possibly come in as a late substitute in defense or even center forward.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2008/June/22/hard-up-turkey-mull-putting-keeper-outfield

Personally, with the play on Friday and Saturday which shows anything can happen and as Turkey explemplifies that anything can happen the way they've played in this tournament, I'd give them a good chance to keep on and I admit contrary to all logic!

But Terim was at the game today, all smiles, so he may know something but it might not be a good lineup for a penalty shootout. Is there a coach of the tournament? It could be Hiddink so far as we see it, but I'd vote for Terim. Of course, all of these coaches have done fine such as Aragones for coaching a team to have the mental strength to not wilt under the pressure in this last game.

Going back to the story at soccerway, can you believe that in '96 Germany was in a similar situation of missing players due to injuries and suspensions and UEFA let them bring in at least one player it appears for the final with the Czech Republic which the Germans went on in fact, to win?

"But there was a notable exception 12 years ago, when the game's European governing body allowed the Germans themselves to bring in Jens Todt with the German squad bereft of six players through injury and suspension for the final against the Czech Republic"

- http://www.soccerway.com/news/2008/June/22/hard-up-turkey-mull-putting-keeper-outfield

One more detail of tournament history, doesn't seem quite fair.

13. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    if you use this example then you shouldnt ignore that turkey has also so few players because of suspension.
    Germany had in '96 really all those players injured and thats where the difference is.
    Turkey created this problem themselfs..

14. David-G

David-G Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    It's a shame for the Turks. They have some very dangerous attacking players that could've kept the Germans on their heels in this match. But almost all of them are out. Looks like they'll have to play a very cynical style which is not in their nature...too bad. If Germany fail to win I'll have to refrain from making any assumptions about any football match for the rest of my life. :D

15. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    in 96 germany only had a couple of suspensions and heaps of injuries so uefa let them call up some players

16. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is the matchup that never should have happened!

Anyhow, Germany is obviously the favourite in the game, but the Turks proved three times now, that they can get back into any game, no matter how much time is left and how unlikley a comeback might be!

If Germany plays as they did against Portugal, they should win this game easily, but if for some reason they get back to the way they played against Croatia and Austria, Turkey would have a good chance to win this match! And if they have any chance, they´ll use it...against Croatia, they didn´t even have a chance and they used it...

17. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen
    I won't dream a second that Germany would have an easy game against Turkey, no matter how many players Turkey has available. Turkey has developed a kind of mentality that before I saw only in Germany (specially Germany 1954). I think at the moment every single person in Turkey's camp has got this mentality. We must be very careful against them. No underestimation at all!

18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's the wrong way to be scared!

ok, it could be that Turkey is blessed, they are passionate. But to care 'bout is the biggest mistake we can do!

The Mannschaft has to concentrate about its strenghts and go concentrated into the match, playing fast and efficient like versus Portugal. Then we're going to win this.

19. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    Germany Crush Turkey

Spain/Russia Crush Germany

Equals perfect Euro 2008:cool:

20. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My biggest concern is the police at the public viewings in all big towns...hopefully there will be enough, otherwise we´ll have a "civil war" in Germany! No matter which team wins, this is really worrying me!

21. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Despite where I live, who I support in club football, and the fact I picked the Germans to win it before this thing started, I can't say that scenario would make me unhappy at all.

Would be nice to have a "new" winner........ :cool:

22. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    If you want a new winner, you should be pulling for Turkey. The other three have had the pleasure before.

23. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but I can't recall their winning. I can recall two of Germany's three.

Would be nice to hear all the shit talked about Spain to stop and would love to see how all the people who say that Russian football's resurgence is all about money (I think it only partially is) explain this one.

24. wallstreet123456

Nov 2, 2005
    NYC
    I think Turkey will sit back and crowd the box making difficult for Germany to Score. They will be playing for a penalty shoot out. I think this game will be like Germany -Argentina Final in the world cup a few years ago (1990 I think) which Germany won on a Breme Penalty

25. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am definitely pulling for Germany, but it's a win-win situation at this point. Ultimately, I'm a neutral, so seeing an underdog like Turkey or Russia take it would be cool, but I do like the Spanish team as well. I'm not going to be totally displeased no matter which of these four wins it.

Germany should beat the Turks just based on how many guys they will be missing.