Semi-Official 2022 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Seismothusiast, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, with today's announcement it is time to start to 2022 edition. Thank you to Abecasis, Akanyirige, Marie, Calvillo, Fierro, Rios, and Alanis as well as Williamson, even though we never got to see you play. Bersano and Vega are also out of contract, though I suspect there is room for Bersano to sign another one. Of these I am really only surprised by Marie and Fierro, who both has some good games. These plus Wondo's retirement mean 10 open senior roster slots, so this will be a big rebuilding year! Show us what you've got Chris Leitch!
    ________
    Salary Budget Roster
    1. Nathan Raphael Pelae Cardoso #13 (D) (Brazil-INT) {5/13/95} [$???K]
    2. Marcos Lopez # 27 (D/M) (Peru-Green Card) {11/2/99} [$370.3K]
    3. Tommy Tompson (D/M) #22 {8/15/95} [$265K - Homegrown Player]
    4. Shea Salinas #6 (D/M) {6/24/86} [$280K*]
    5. Judson Silva Tavares, #93 (D/M) (Brazil-Green Card {5/25/93} [$365K]
    6. Eric Remedi, #5 (D/M) (Argentina-Green Card) {6/4/95} [$450K]
    7. Jackson Yueill (M) #14 {3/19/97} [Generation Adidas - $636.9K]
    8. Eduardo “Chofis” Lopez #9 (M) {9/17/94} (Mexico, INT) [loan-$860K]
    9. Christian Espinoza #10 (M/F) (Argentina, INT) {4/3/95} [$1,265K]
    10. Jeremy Ebobisse #11 (F) {2/14/95} [$691.3K or more with new contract]
    11. [Empty]
    12. [Empty]
    13. [Empty]
    14. [Empty]
    15. [Empty]
    16. [Empty]
    17. [Empty]
    18. [Empty]
    18. [Empty]
    20. [Empty]

* Indicates a known guaranteed contract.

Supplemental Roster (Off-Budget-min $65K)
    21. Siad Haji (M) #19 {12/1/99} [Generation Adidas - $104K]
    22. Tanner Beason # 15 (D) {3/23/97} [$110K]
    23. Casey Walls (D) #77 {1/10/03} [$88K - Homegrown Player]
    24. [Empty]

Reserve Roster (Off-Budget-in $50K, under 25)

25. JT Marcinkowski #18 (G) {5/09/97] [$177K - Homegrown Player]
    26. Benji Kikanovic (F) #28 {1/6/00} [$69.3K]
    27. Jack Skahan (M) #16 {2/7/98} [$66.7K]
    28. Gilbert Fuentes #35 (M) {2/21/02} [$92K - Homegrown Player]

Homegrown Players (Additional Reserves Slots)

29. Cade Cowell #44 (F) {10/14/03} [$130K - Homegrown Player]
    30. George Asomani #18 (M) {[$3/26/99K]

Unavailable
    Emi Ochoa (G) #41 {5/5/05} [$75.1K - Homegrown Player]

CURRENT SALARY TOTAL (Not updated for 2021) for 2019 the cap is was approximately ($4,240,000), and our overall salary is unknown (-- above, DPs=530k).

Allocations, Slots, Rights, & Trades
    Allocations

***We traded $667K of GAM for 2022 and $500K in GAM for 2023 to Portland for Ebobisse, traded Jungwirth to Vancouver for 200k in GAM with another 100k in GAM based on performance based incentives, as still have 200K plus consideration in 2022 GAM from Austin FC for Lima ***

Trades, waivers, losses
    ---* ABECASIS, AKANYRIGE, MARIE, CALVILLO, FIERRO, RIOS, & WILLIAMSON-Waived. ALANIS, BERSANO & VEGA-not renewed - 12/2/21.
    ---* JUNGWIRTH to Vancouver for 200k in GAM with another 100k in GAM based on performance based incentives - 8/6/21.
    ---* LIMA to Austin FC for $500k of GAM - 12/13/2020
    ---* VAKO, KASHIA, FELIPE, HOESEN released - 12/4/2020
    ---* ERIKKSON to Djurgarden for undisclosed fee - 8/21/2020

Slots
    ---* DP's - Espinoza and Chofis occupy a DP slot, so one slot is currently open.
    ---* We currently have no open INT slots. Four players require slots (Espinoza, Chofis, Lopez, and Nathan = INT).

Rights
    ---* Ranking have not yet been released for the 2022 allocation list.
    ---* All of our 2022 Superdraft picks.
    ---* All of our 2022 Waiver Draft and Re-Entry Draft picks.
    ---* Lottery eligible for the 2022 season.
    ---* We hold the rights to these unsigned MLS draftee: None.

Staff
    * Jared Shawlee (Chief Operating Officer)
    * Chris Leitch (General Manager)
    * Matias Almeyda (Head Coach)
    * Omar Zarif (Assistant Coach)
    * Benjamin Galindo (Assistant Coach)
    * Carlos Roa (Goalkeeper Coach)
    * Chris Leitch (Technical Director)

SSVCF
    SSV
    centerlinesoccer

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  2. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the "Comings & Goings 2021-2022 Offseason News" thread, most of them got Twitter farewells from the team except for Paul Marie.

So Bersano is probably really gone this time. Maybe he actually wants to play somewhere so he's got to take a shot somewhere else. I'm also a little surprised about Fierro.

I'm also surprised about Akanyirige, but maybe he wanted out.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    The Fierro decision is maybe one of the lesser obvious ones but the right one IMO. This is the one that actually gives me the most hope because it shows that they are willing to make the hard calls. He's a nearly $1 mil player, and he really wasn't even good enough to be a regular starter. He had a few goals late in the season but they were either garbage time or one of those goals where there's a scrum in the box and it just happened to hit him last.

He can hit a decent cross and he has a bit of a nose for the goal, but his speed is not really much of an asset in MLS and he seemed unable to take players on. He seems like a good team guy and he's a FoM and I'm sure Matias likes him, which makes it a little harder to part with him, but really he was just not a good value player at $1 mil.

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me too much if they extended him at say $4-500k or something. I'm not sure I'd even be for that because again, I don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter on the team.

Beerking, mjlee22, markmcf8 and 5 others repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on. For nearly a $1 million we need a lot more out of a player than what Fierro provided.

5. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the lack of international slots an issue? All of our adds need to be domestic?

(Didn't MLS change the rules to make it more difficult for any of these guys to move out of this category?)

6. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I’m also surprised about Marie. He’s better than TT @ RB, he’s cheap and would be a great back up to a new MLS proven starting RB…

Also kind of bummed about Jacob and Williamson.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don’t think he’s necessarily better than TT at RB. I’d say they are “different” and it’s hard to tell how the balance sheet goes exactly. But I’d prefer that TT goes back to midfield if only for depth / sub roles and spot starts. He could take Fierro’s role for example.

Sactown Soccer and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  8. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    TT hasn't shown he can play a full 90 @ RB and TT can't score a goal to save his life hence my reasoning that Marie is > than him.

Beerking repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don’t think full 90 is necessarily a requirement for a position with that much movement. As for scoring like I said it’s a bit of apples to oranges. Marie has scored a few goals but TT has won something like 5 PK’s with movement in the box over the last few years. TT is more careful with the ball and a better dribbler. And although susceptible to getting beaten with speed, he’s one of the best ball winners in the team. But yeah Marie has a good shot and TT doesn’t even try anymore because he knows he’s better off distributing.

Even though it’s not the greatest position for him, Matias preferred him most of the time over Lima at RB and at the start of last season TT had beaten out both Abecasis and Marie for the spot. While I don’t always agree with what Matias does he knows the game and I think the decisions he makes should carry some weight. If it was Stahre making these calls I’d be less impressed :).

10. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    True, TT is good at drawing PK's but @ $265K vs $87K (currently) its a no brainer. Marie is >.

Beerking repped this.
  11. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not sure I know all the new rules, but my understanding is that players need to hold a Green Card earlier in the process and not right up to the roster compliance date. I do agree that international slots are an issue, but this is also more than we have had in some time. I feel better with CL as GM, since he'll understand the value of domestic players. Point taken though, with 10 senior slots open the majority will have to be legal US residents or citizens.

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    No actually I think it's $0k vs. $87k. TT is still considered a homegrown, which means his salary doesn't count against the cap, though I'm not sure if his salary exceeds the limit. Also if Marie is retained I don't think it would be for $87k anymore. I'm sure he'd be well into the $100k's somewhere.

13. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    True again (on the cap hit) but it's still dollars coming out of Fish's pocket and we all know how cheap the Fish is....

Give Marie a raise to $180ish so he can pay rent in SJ without roommates (sure his wife would love that). Free up $265K by cutting/moving TT to Sac and we still have a ton of money left over to use on a development player (@ $60K) in the RB position that may have a higher ceiling than TT.

We still need a starting RB though so the salary cleared up by Lucho leaving could be used for that.

The depth chart for RB would be:

1. New MLS prove RB @ $250K
    2. Marie @ $180K
    3. Development Player @ $60K

14. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where to spend all this cap space?

A pacy/tricky left winger ala Marvin Chavez? A dominant centerback to pair with Nathan? A pacy right back with a good cross like beitashour so we can stop playing TT out of position? A two-way CM to light a fire under Yueill or take his spot?

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defense consistency is our biggest issue imo. I supposed we start with formation consistency first and get good that before playing with the flexibility MA wants. Then choose what type of defensive player we need to fit that model.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Sexist much? Who knows - maybe his wife is a high $$ Silicon Valley exec! ;)

DotMPP repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #17 JazzyJ, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    What I would do is get good ball winners all over the field. We win the ball in midfield, everything flows from there. Better attacking options, less pressure on the defense. Defensive tactics are a big part of that. I don't believe man marking has helped us with ball winning (not to mention it made us stretched out and vulnerable around goal), I think it's made ball-winning in midfield worse. In MLS the ball is usually won when the guy with the ball is doubled up. And when we backed away from man we got better at ball winning.

I'd also commit to playing all 3 of Judon, Yueill, and Remedi in central midfield and add depth to that - another good ball-winning center mid or two. It could even be more of a 10-ish player that is also quick and tenacious can win the ball for you (like DeRo was).

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    happy that we moved on from a lot of Almeyda's boys (Rios, Fiero, Abecasis, Vega). Chofis was the only one worth keeping around, so that was a good re-up.

Williamson's demise shows we are pretty much done with the draft as a relevant streamline.

Akanyrige and Marie gone also surprises me.

But yeah, total cleaning of house/rebuild is what we needed. New GM already putting his foot down on getting rid of the old guy's stuff.

Hopefully more minutes for Walls and Fuentes coming. Also absolutely need to sign up some backup on defense.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Interesting that the Quakes don't loan Akanyinge out this past year to get playing time in the USL instead deciding to cut him. On the other hand Fuentes can barely get minutes for a below average Austin Bold team but he is retained?

And what about Eric Calvillo? He just won a USLC championship as a consistent starter (about 2500 minutes). He was the one guy that really leaned into developing during his loan spell. What could he have possibly done better to impress the Quakes?

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah the peripheral on some of the younger guys cut is a bit disappointing. Hopefully they can find their feet at Sac Republic or something.

21. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So true, my bad!!

I didn’t give all the info and I made an assumption which was dense.

Marie + wife used to be roommates w Eric Calvillo so I just assumed money was tight.

Apologies to all.

DotMPP and bsman repped this.
  22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    In 2001 the Quakes did a massive roster overhaul. Their new GM only retained 9 players from the 2000 squad. By my count the Quakes are returning 15 (not counting homegrown players).

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

DasMoots repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

IIRC, rosters are rather larger than they were in 2001, so I wonder if it isn't a comparable housecleaning?

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    And the rosters are bigger now, aren't they? Also 2004-2005 must have been a pretty big overhaul also. As I've pointed out before, we won championships after those overhauls. :whistling: