Semi-Official 2009 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Roblar, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    New thread for 2009, continuing where we left off.

Please mention all mistakes you find. For example, the line about us getting a supplemental pick from LA for Kirovski is no longer correct seeing how the supplemental draft no longer exists. ...or something like that. (Is that right?)

....Onwards!

Senior Roster

1. Joe Cannon #1 (G) [$213K]
    2. Ryan Cochrane #5 (D) [$133K]
    3. Eric Denton #2 (D) [$52K]
    4. Nick Garcia #3 (D) [$143K]
    5. Jason Hernandez #21 (D) [$48K]
    6. Ramiro Corrales #12 (D, M) [$203K]
    7. Kelly Gray #22 (D, M) [$38K]
    8. Ned Grabavoy #11 (M) [$90K]
    9. Ronnie O'Brien #7 (M) (Ireland, greencard) [$259K]
    10. Arturo Alvarez #17 (M, F) [$177K]
    11. Darren Huckerby #6 (M, F) (England, INT) [$355K]
    12. Ryan Johnson #19 (M, F) (Jamaica, not INT on MLSnet) [$33K]*
    13. Shea Salinas #15 (M, F) [$33K]*
    14. John Cunliffe #20 (F) (England, INT) [$51K]*
    15. Gavin Glinton #9 (F) (T&C, greencard) [$60K]
    -------------Likely off to Europe!----------------
    19. Francisco Lima #10 (M) (Brazil, INT) [$207K]
    20. Scott Sealy #33 (F) (Trinidad, INT) [$35K]​

CURRENT SALARY TOTAL unknown. I get $1.898M PLUS everyone gets a raise, plus Lima and Seally if they stay. I figure that gives us in the $400K ballpark for 6 more players. ....And we should have a "You Suck!" allocation to play with if we need to as well. I bet we move up a few of our Dev guys (my candidates = Gustavson, Roberts, Ayres, Somma and/or Ghebru).

Developmental Rosters no longer exist.... but we get four "El Cheapo" salary spots that don't count against the cap. Here are our current reserve candidates. (Some may be moved up to the senior roster for the league minimum.)

1. Michael Gustavson #24 (G)
    2. Jamil Roberts #18 (D) (Senior Dev) [$18K]
    3. Jay Ayres #27 (D, M) (Senior Dev) [$18K]
    4. Matt Hatzke #14 (D, M)
    5. Adam Smarte #8 (M, F) (Liberia, Senior Dev) [$18K]<--not INT at MLSnet
    6. Michael Ghebru #23 (M) (Germany, greencard)
    7. Mikel Arce #16 (F) (Spain, INT)
    8. Davide Somma #32 (F) (South African/Italian, INT)

Injured Players

.....tba.....​

Allocations, Slots, Rights, & Trades

Allocations
    ***Current allocation status unknown -- but we have at least one major "You Suck!" allocation.***

Trades
    ---* KIROVSKI. Shipped to LA for a conditional 2010 Supplemental Draft pick. Originally acquired from COL as part of a package deal that sent Burpo and a 4th round draft pick to COL in exchange for Gray and Kirovski. COL is paying an undisclosed amount of Kirovski's salary.
    ---* RILEY. Taken by Seattle in the expansion draft.

Slots
    ---* DP slot - open
    ---* ZERO International slots open (Cunliffe=INT, Huckerby=INT, Lima=INT, Sealy=INT; Arce=INT; Somma=INT; one INT slot traded to TOR for the right to sign Huckerby)

Rights
    ---* Rights to Clarence Goodson if he returns to MLS
    ---* 2009 Draft Picks: 2nd, 3rd
    -------Natural 1st pick to TOR (O'Brien), 4th to COL (Gray/Kirovski)
    -------Houston's 1st pick to DAL for Alvarez
    -------Supplemental: 1st, 2nd, (3rd to DAL for Roberts, 4th to LA for Hatzke)
    -------2010 Supplemental Draft Conditional Pick: From LA for Kirovski **but it's conditional and we don't know the conditions.​

Staff

* John Doyle (General Manager)
    * Frank Yallop (Head Coach)
    * Ian Russell (Assistant Coach)
    * Ronnie Ekelund (Technical Advisor)
    * Jason Batty (Keeper Coach)
    * Bruce Morgan (Head Trainer)
    * Jose Vega (Equipment Manager)
    * Joe Dincecco (Team Administrator)​

SSV
    centerlinesoccer

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the first thing I notice is that you cheated! It's not 2009 yet! :p

Well OK, close enough.

Looking at our roster, I would ditch Cunliffe [$51K] and Glinton [$60K] and save $111K and an international spot right off the bat. My next thought is that Ned, the Mighty Grabavoy, makes way too much. If we can't get him to play for less, then we trade or cut him. (I think he'd do great in Portland, by the by.) So that gets me to $201K saved, and an international spot.

Now I've got real cash and three open roster spots to play with. Cool!

That's enough cash to offer Sealy $70k. He might or might not go for it, and then that 6'3" Scotsman might be more what we have in mind, but dumping Cunliffe and Glinton gives us immediate options.

If Lima doesn't come back, and I half hope that he does not, then we get another $207 and international spot.

I might trade or cut Garcia too. Can we get Aron Pitchkolan from Dallas? Can we sign a quality central defender from elsewhere? If not, then we keep Nick.

This gives us some room to sign that mystery disgruntled striker from Central America. It allows us to make a play for other MLS clubs starting central defenders.

The thing is, we absolutely have to get better, and that means replacing some of our starters from last season.

GOOOOOOO QUAAAAAAKES!!!!!!!! :D

- Mark

3. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Rights
    ---*San Jose holds first ranking on the allocation list.

Here is the link and quote. As winners of the wooden spoon, we were second on the allocation list. Now we are first. This is a big one. Hopefully we do better with it this season.

Sounders FC Announce the Signing of Goalkeeper Kasey Keller

4. IrishWilliam

IrishWilliam New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Alameda
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Mark
    I agree about Cunliffe, Glinton and Lima,
    But I would trade sealy, and go for the Scotsman. Sealy just seem uninspired at the games.

And I would Never!! trade Garcia, he was awesome, and I think he played real hard and will continue to...
    As for grabavoy, idk, one thing we really need on this squad is physical players, most of them are short and are merely skilled passers, grabavoy being an excellent example of that. I thing we could improve alot in that area.
    Sure getting a good central defender for depth wouldn't hurt, but we need a good central midfielder that can match huck and ronnie's ability on the wings. Our defense was already pretty strong (with the exception of denton, who had as many good games as he did bad ones) But if we get a good offensive central mid our strikers might get a bit more service and be a bit more productive.
    But you're right the only way we'll move up is if the starters that stay improve, and we bring in some stronger players to start/add depth (and we had very little of that in 08)

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Birchall and Kyle rumors 2009 could start like this

------------Alvarez-----Kyle----------------

Huckerby------Corrales-----Birchall-------O'Brien

Denton-----Garcia------Cochrane------Hernandez

---------------- The Joe-------------------

Would also like to experiment and see Ramiro dropped back into Denton's position, slide Alvarez into the midfield, and pair Johnson with Kyle.

Ramiro would be much more effective then Denton on the overlap, and Arturo's speed and slashing runs might play off the two power guys up front better than Ramiro would.

Shea would still be our super sub, but would probably see more time with Ronnie and Darren's knees a year older.

Still think we need another quality centerback.

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think that Sealy was especially great. I do think (hope?) that if he plays with our guys for a full year he'll do better. But in case, I suspect that he will leave us for Europe. So bring on Kyle! (or some mystery player from Central or South America, or elsewhere.)

Sorry, we disagree here. Garcia, especially in the last few matches of the season looked old and slow. He got caught out several times even when he had not ventured very far forward. He doesn't direct Cochrane or the other defenders well either. I want my main central defender to direct traffic in back. I don't see Nick doing that. (Of course, I could be wrong about this, I just do not observe it on TV or at the one match I attended.)

I think we need to bring in several guys who can play central midfield so that we have some choices. We're going to need backups too in case of injuries or national team call ups. Some of us think that Somma can play central midfield, and some think Alvarez can. We need to make sure that one of them can, at least as a back up. Then we still need to score two more guys at least. We've got more forwards on the roster than we need, so we can afford to let Cunliffe go and Sealy is probably moving on of his own devices. We're going to need guys who can play more than one position as backups, so RJ, Kelly Gray, Somma (if he can play forward and central mid), and similar guys. Our roster will be four players smaller next season, so that flexibility in our backups will be more crucial.

I still hope that somehow we get to keep Jay Ayres. I think he could develop into a serious central defender.

GOOOO QUAAAAAAKES!!!!!! :D

- Mark

7. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Given cap considerations, I don't see how we can afford NOT to keep Ayres. We'll need to fill in out our roster with (close to) min salary guys, so ...unless the coaches aren't as convinced as you are... I'd expect to see Ayres stay.

8. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Just tidying up a little bit, changing the supplemental info, and adding Seismo's allocation-list-order update.

Am I right that the only contract questions this off-season are:
    The Joe, Sealy, and 'sort-of' Lima?

I won't add names to the roster until they are announced officially. (Or until I feel like it, or Seismo tells me to. ;) )

Senior Roster

1. Joe Cannon #1 (G) [$213K]

CURRENT SALARY TOTAL unknown. I get $1.898M PLUS everyone gets a raise, plus Lima and Seally if they stay. I figure that gives us in the $400K ballpark for 6 more players. (IF the Cap goes to 2.3M -- anyone have the 2009 cap number?) ....And we should have a "You Suck!" allocation to play with if we need to as well. I bet we move up a few of our Dev guys (my candidates = Gustavson, Roberts, Ayres, Somma and/or Ghebru).

Developmental Rosters no longer exist.... but we get four "El Cheapo" salary spots that don't count against the cap. Here are our current reserve candidates. (Some may be moved up to the senior roster for the league minimum.)

1. Michael Gustavson #24 (G)
    2. Jamil Roberts #18 (D) (Senior Dev) [$18K]
    3. Jay Ayres #27 (D, M) (Senior Dev) [$18K]
    4. Matt Hatzke #14 (D, M)
    5. Adam Smarte #8 (M, F) (Liberia, Senior Dev) [$18K]<--not INT at MLSnet
    6. Michael Ghebru #23 (M) (Germany, greencard)
    7. Mikel Arce #16 (F) (Spain, INT)
    8. Davide Somma #32 (F) (South African/Italian, INT)

Injured Players

.....tba.....​

Allocations
    ***Current allocation status unknown -- but we have at least one major "You Suck!" allocation.***

Trades
    ---* KIROVSKI. Shipped to LA for a conditional 2010 pick in the no-longer-existant Supplemental Draft. So, rephrasing: Kiro to LA for cap-space.

Slots
    ---* DP slot - open
    ---* ZERO International slots open (Cunliffe=INT, Huckerby=INT, Lima=INT, Sealy=INT; Arce=INT; Somma=INT; one INT slot traded to TOR for the right to sign Huckerby).

Rights
    ---* First on the allocation list
    -------Supplemental Draft No Longer Exists: ...but we had 1st, and second round picks (3rd to DAL for Roberts, 4th to LA for Hatzke), and the LA-Kirovski 2010 conditional pick.

Staff

SSV
    centerlinesoccer

9. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Birchall is listed as 1.75 m (about 5' 8") so i dont know about him being any more of a physical presence over Lima or Grabavoy, but he's probably a tidy player w/ int'l and championship experience that could work well w/ Corrales. Corrales is good cover at LB, but recall how badly we dropped off as a team when we lost him for two months and after a long layoff, he came in for the last game against TFC and just bossed 'em around. he's our CM, until somebody better comes along. if alvarez can play in the middle ala the way holden progressed from wing to CM for houston, maybe arturo can too.

Agree that we need another solid starting CB and fullback. Cochrane while capable of having good games is not the answer, and you usually have to have a young stud matched up w/ a longer in the tooth veteran. maybe ayres will be that guy one day, but Gray is a versatile player who i recall in some of his first games for SJ was a right back who could get forward, so maybe his playing time gets a bump by showing this side of his skills again. haven't seen enough of Somma to say where he may work best. he's a big guy and can worry defenders so maybe's he's a 3rd option behind RJ (unless his finishing skills are better).

10. Schoey

Schoey Member

Apr 12, 2001
    San Anselmo, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe after watching their shots that Somma's finishing is stronger than RJ's

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Possibly, but RJ's not a guy that you play for his finishing. It's probably the weakest part of his game. But he has a lot of positives in other areas.

13. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for sure, I would want the identy of the team to reflect his on field attitude as well. The guy is ravenous.

I'm just happy to be hearing rumors again. No news + my xbox360 away at the repair center = drop in my geek stock (without the Sharks i woulda lost it).

It's crazy how much the league is changing every season, and near impossible to guess what teams will be powerhouses (besides them Quakes)

14. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    I agree, before I knew who Somma was. I saw him on the pitch with the ball, I said to myself, this guy is a dangerous player around the defense, I hope he plays more next season.

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the best part of Johnson's game is making Eddie Robinson his biatch.

16. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good one! :)

17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yep, that's exactly one of the things I had in mind when I wrote "a lot of positives in other areas". :)

18. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Hey Mark -- always appreciate your posts.

First, I think it is safe to assume that Lima and Sealy are gone. That gives us two INT spots -- looks like one of them will go to Burchall (sp?).

I think Glinton is a Yallop fav, and he probably stays. At $60k, Yallop probably even thinks that's a deal. Remember - Glinton did almost as much for LA under Yallop as any other player. I think our best hope there is that Glinton actually produces for us. (If you would like arguments for why keeping Glinton would be a good move, .....maybe spejic will post them!!)

I also agree with you about Cunliffe. He got a few chances and didn't do much with them. Unless he's doing something amazing in practice (doubtful) I think he'll be cut, given, or traded away. Too bad really, I actually liked Cunliffe -- I remember him as a good finisher, and that's something we need. Too bad he didn't really show it (or get a chance to) for the Quakes.

Grabavoy? $90k is too steep for the production he gave us. If he has any value at all, he should be traded. If not, he may even be cut. The coaches would be smart to hold on to him until we get someone better, though. Let's hope that Birchall is just that.

Keeper? ...Come on Cannon! I also don't get the Gustavson disappearance - I liked that guy.

On defense, I don't see Yallop cutting or trading Garcia - he likes his veteran players too much, and Cochrane is not the answer. I have a feeling that we're going to see a Garcia--Cochrane pairing with Hernandez out right (Denton on the left). If that happens, it's too bad - Hernandez should be one of our starting center-backs.

Finally, I hope that we'll draft at least one player capable of contributing (at least off the bench).

19. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Some questions.

I just compared our Semi-Official roster with teh MLSnet roster, and I think it raises/answers a few questions -- what exactly are the new roster rules? Anyone have an official link MLS link-- I couldn't find one. (I think we get 20 senior players and 4 dev-like salary players who are not counted against the cap -- I'm just looking for official confirmation of that.)

Also, only four of our former Dev players are listed there. I made a small adjustment to our 2008 player list -- keeping our unlisted players there, but not numbered -- only with an asterisk.

Q#1: Do the new roster rules allow us four Dev-like players (min-salary players who don't count against the cap)? -- Can someone confirm/deny/correct that?

Q#2: Anyone know if we will get to keep the MLS rights to former Dev players? I think there was talk about a rule change that makes cut players 'free agents' -- is that right? Was that only discussion?

Senior Roster

1. Joe Cannon #1 (G) [$213K] ***In contract talks!*** :eek:

CURRENT SALARY TOTAL unknown. I get $1.898M PLUS everyone gets a raise, plus Lima and Seally if they stay. I figure that gives us in the $400K ballpark for 6 more players. (IF the Cap goes to 2.3M -- anyone have the 2009 cap number?) ....And we should have a "You Suck!" allocation to play with if we need to as well. I bet we move up a few of our Dev guys (my candidates = Gustavson, Roberts, Ayres, Somma and/or Ghebru).

Developmental Rosters no longer exist.... but we get four "El Cheapo" salary spots that don't count against the cap. Here are our current reserve candidates. (Some may be moved up to the senior roster for the league minimum -- those marked with '*.' are NOT on the MLSnet roster list, but were on the 2008 reserve squad.)

1. Jamil Roberts #18 (D) (Senior Dev) [$18K]
    2. Matt Hatzke #14 (D, M)
    3. Michael Ghebru #23 (M) (Germany, greencard)
    4. Davide Somma #32 (F) (South African/Italian, INT)
    *. (Michael Gustavson) #24 (G)
    *. (Jay Ayres) #27 (D, M) (Senior Dev) [$18K]
    *. (Adam Smarte) #8 (M, F) (Liberia, Senior Dev) [$18K]<--not INT at MLSnet
    *. (Mikel Arce) #16 (F) (Spain, INT)

Injured Players

.....tba.....​

Allocations

Trades
    ---* KIROVSKI. Shipped to LA for a conditional 2010 pick in the no-longer-existant Supplemental Draft. So, rephrasing: Kiro to LA for cap-space.

Slots
    ---* DP slot - open
    ---* ZERO International slots open (Cunliffe=INT, Huckerby=INT, Lima=INT, Sealy=INT; Arce=INT; Somma=INT; one INT slot traded to TOR for the right to sign Huckerby).

Rights
    ---* First on the allocation list
    -------Supplemental Draft No Longer Exists: ...but we had 1st, and second round picks (3rd to DAL for Roberts, 4th to LA for Hatzke), and the LA-Kirovski 2010 conditional pick.

Staff

SSV
    centerlinesoccer

20. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I just checked, and MLS.net is yet to post the roster rules for 2009. I believe that all of our information came from a Garber speech following an owners meeting. I don't think details about how those four developmental spots would work were given at that time.

That last question is a really interesting one. As I read the rules it seems to depend on what action was taken. If their contract all expired (an I think all dev contracts are one season or less), then we hold their rights indefinitely. If these players were waived, then they should be available in the next waiver draft, becoming free agents if they are not chosen.

Here is the link to the 2008 roster rules. This being MLS, who knows how much will apply this year.

21. pguerra

pguerra New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Why Europeans? It seems like the teams that did well had South Americans as impact players. go quakes!!

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reserve teams no longer exist. We still get four Dev Roster spots.

Senior Roster increases from 18 to 20.

Total, we get 24 roster spots, which is four less than last year. Thus, utility guys like Gray and RJ will be more valuable than ever before. (Personally, I think reducing the roster sizes is a HUGE mistake, more on that later.)

Right now, we have twenty-one (21) guys listed on our roster. So, one of them will have to take a dev contract and we will need to cut or trade some in order to sign anymore guys. If we assume that Sealy and or Lima leave on their own, then we get two spots there. If some of our current guys are dev players, then we get more spots. So maybe Hatzke, Roberts, and Somma are all dev players, but then we'd only have one open dev spot for a draftee or invitee this year.

We need to develop more talent in this country. Our College system is weak at best. Our MLS clubs are only just now starting youth academies. (OK, a couple have been up and running for a while, but most teams are only just now starting youth sides.) So killing the dev roster, or greatly reducing it, means that fewer players will have a chance to work with MLS clubs to get better. This is bad. This is movement in the wrong direction. We need to develop more, not fewer US domestic players (and for that matter, any youngsters that come here for college or soccer or both). We have to have a deep pool of talent if our league is to improve.

So I've been looking at our roster with a very critical eye. We need to jettison some guys to make room for new players so that we can get better. My top candidates for the recycle heap are:

Lima (not because he sucks, but because he wants to leave)
    Sealy (not because he sucks, but because he wants to leave)
    Cunliffe - because he sucks
    Grabavoy - because he costs more than he is worth (I feel guilty about this.)
    Glinton - because he costs more than he is worth
    Hatzke - because he's terrible
    Garcia - because he costs more than he is worth, because he is not fast enough any more, because he is too short, because we need to get better.

So the four guys that I would deliberately toss are Cunliffe, Grabavoy, Glinton, and Hatzke. We may or may not lose one or both of Lima and Sealy. I still think we need to upgrade from Garcia to someone younger, taller, faster, and louder. I'd try for Aron Pitchkolan of Dallas, or failing that, there are some USL guys who might be good enough. Nick let us down in several matches late last season.

But the reason I want to ditch some players is that we need the open roster spots to sign new guys who can take us to the next level.

GOOOOO QUAAAAAAKES!!!!!! :D

- Mark

23. Chewie23

Chewie23 Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a depth chart and we lack hardcore in many areas. Upgrades are needed.

2009 Depth Chart

? - Uncertain of a return.

Goalkeepers (Need a 2nd & Possibly A 3rd String)
    Joe Cannon

Right Back
    Jason Hernandez
    Kelly Gray
    Matt Hatzke

Right Center Back
    Ryan Cochrane
    Jason Hernandez
    Jamil Roberts

Left Center Back
    Nick Garcia
    Ryan Cochrane

Left Back
    Eric Denton
    Nick Garcia
    Ramiro Corrales

Right Mid
    Ronnie O'Brien
    Shea Salinas
    Ryan Johnson

Offensive Center Mid
    Chris Birchill ?
    Ramiro Corrales
    Ned Grabavoy ?
    Ronnie O'brien

Defensive Mid
    Francisco Lima ?
    Ramiro Corrales
    Kelly Gray

Left Mid
    Darren Huckerby
    Shea Salinas
    Arturo Alvarez
    Ramiro Corrales

Forwards
    Arturo Alvarez
    Ryan Johnson
    Scott Sealy ?
    John Cunliffe ?
    Gavin Glinton
    Davide Somma
    Michael Ghebru ?

Target Forwards
    Ryan Johnson
    John Cunliffe ?
    Scott Sealy ?

Rumored Players
    Chris Birchill

Starting 11 (With what we have & the rumored guy)

Joe Cannon
    Jason Hernandez, Ryan Cochrane, Nick Garcia, Eric Denton
    Ramiro Corrales
    Ronnie O'brien, Darren Huckerby
    Chris Birchill ?
    Ryan Johnson, Arturo Alvarez​

On paper that team should be able to contend, but for the long stretch, Suspensions, Injuries, Call-Ups, The depth will be key. So so much needed upgrades & additions will be in order.

Now in reality a team that will be able to contend with the big dogs would be something like this.

Joe Cannon
    Jason Hernandez, Ryan Cochrane, Nick Garcia/Upgrade/New Player, Upgrade/New Player/Denton/Corrales
    Ramiro Corrales/New Player
    Ronnie O'brien, Darren Huckerby
    Chris Birchill ?
    Target Forward / Alvarez or Johnson​

Things we need most.
    Back Up Goalkeeper (Countess, Saunders, Pickens, Other are available .)
    Defensive Depth & Upgrades. (Pitchkolan & Others)
    Target Forward & Scavenger Forward (Think Graziani).
    And Maybe 1-2 Midfielders to add decent depth.

Out of the remaining players this is what we have.

Goalkeepers - None
    Defenders - Kelly Gray, Jamil Roberts, Eric Denton, Matt Hatzke
    Midfielders - Shea Salinas* , Kelly Gray, Matt Hatzke, Ned Grabavoy, Michael Ghebru
    Forwards - John Cunliffe, Gavin Glinton, Davide Somma, Ryan Johnson*

* - Salinas & Johnson will be in first team rotation regardless. Maybe Kelly Gray & Eric Denton.

I left Sealy & Lima off, because there almost 100% going abroad.

Our Roster

Right now we have a bunch of open spots.

Senior Roster (20 Players) (8 - Can be Internationals) (5 Slots Open)
    1 - Arturo Alvarez
    2 - Joe Cannon
    3 - Ryan Cochrane
    4 - Ramiro Corrales
    5 - John Cunliffe (I)
    6 - Eric Denton
    7 - Nick Garcia
    8 - Gavin Glinton (I)
    9 - Ned Grabavoy
    10- Kelly Gray
    11- Jason Hernandez
    12- Darren Huckerby (I)
    13- Ryan Johnson
    14- Ronnie O'brien
    15- Shae Salinas
    16- Open / Scott Sealy (I) (?)
    17- Open / Francisco Lima (I) (?)
    18- Open / Chris Birchill (I) (?)
    19- Open
    20- Open

Internationals (Up to 8) (5/8) (Possibly 3/8)
    1 - Darren Huckerby
    2 - Gavin Glinton
    3 - John Cunliffe
    4 - Open / Scott Sealy (?)
    5 - Open / Francisco Lima (?)
    6 - Open / Chris Birchill (?) (Possibly A New player)
    7 - Open
    8 - Open

Developmental / Generation Adidas Players (Up to 4) (Full)​
    1 - Davide Somma (GA)
    2 - Matt Hatzke (DEV)
    3 - Michael Ghebru (DEV)
    4 - Jamil Roberts (DEV)

I expect some wheeling & dealing in the upcoming Super Draft, and except around that time, to have our roster come together, and some late pre-season additions & finds.

Ok I'm done sorry for the long rant.

24. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Check Doyle's DVD player - the hardcore might be there.

...and more seriously, a few quick comments/questions:

1) of course we lack depth - we don't even have a full roster. Basically we have serious needs in ALL areas.

2) You count JOE as coming back - is that a done deal yet?

3) Somma is GA? Really?

4) We only have 7 INT spots. We traded one of them to Toronto for the right to sign Huckerby.

5) Our defense: I think Hernandez is one answer at the center of our D. I'm happy enough with Cochrane/Garcia as the other guy (plus depth). With that said, if it were me, I'd put Gray as our right back:
    Gray--Hernandez--Garcia/Cochrane--Denton​

6) I think we can afford to make ONE major addition and a few patches. ....so, I hope we'll find a patch on D (assuming we have The Joe), and focus our major addition on scoring goals.

7) I don't know too much about Birchall, but what little I've seen, I don't think he's an attacking/offensive midfielder. That's okay - Yallop doesn't really use one anyway.

25. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Roblar for keeping this going :)

I hope Sealy and Lima are gone soon. They're not good enough if we want to get better next year, but sooner rather than later helps us a lot to know who to shop for. I still have hope we use the DP slot for a forward.