Semi-finals

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Aug 4, 2012.

1. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pedersen created a precedent by not awarding Rapinoe's handball a PK, which was probably the right call. Minutes later, the other way, she decides to PK one of the most inconspicuous handballs in the box you will ever see, on the heels of another call you may never see again. USWNT fought well for their win but please do not lecture or patronize by claiming the bad calls were equitable. the best thing A USA fan can do is take this and run with it and forget about it, because there is no way to rationalize it to anyone who has seen a few football games before.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  2. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FIFA being FIFA. they'd commit homicide for their officials and probably have.

3. Left Inside

Left Inside Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Anyway, I'm sad that the game was decided the way it was, but nobody can claim that the US women are not a very good side. As much as I think Canada was ripped off, I wish the US well and won't be cheering for either side in the final. I just hope it's a good game officiated by somebody with two eyes and a backbone.

As for the possibility that Sinclair could be suspended for her comments, that's not going to help FIFA's orgainzational efforts for 2015. It would pretty much guaratee that they would have to move the final to another country or provide every FIFA official in attendance with armed guards and body armour.

4. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The myriad of tackles that both sides were not whistled on, Tancredi running around in beastmode and ending up with a yellow for dissension, the fact that 'nobody ever saw that call before' but Solo, Tancredi and LeBlanc all played together in the same game where it had been called. The fact that the goalie was repeatedly warned during THIS game for it, but apparently knew nothing about it. Yep, it sucks that the Canadian women played probably their best game ever and it was ruined by a ref, but the US women were robbed of a good game as well. People can insist it isnt all true and claim it was bias...but it only shows their own bias. If you have to overlook all of the calls you benefited on to say the game was one sided the term fits perfectly. Sorry.

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps FIFA will take the 2015 WWC away from Canada and give it to Qatar?!

6. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just hoping our stadium is done in time for the 2015 WC, who cares if the Bombers play there lol

7. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What did she say that was so bad that a suspension is warranted?

8. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess "It’s a shame in a game like that, which is so important, that the ref decided the result before the game started." could be considered bad for the game. FIFA and FA punish players all the time for these types of comments.

But I am sure nobody has ever seen it before lol

9. Left Inside

Left Inside Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nothing. But this is FIFA we're talking about. Nobody is held accountable for appointing an incompetent official to an Olympic semi-final but you'll be kicked around the pitch by storm-troopers in hobnailed boots for pointing it out in public.

Anyway, I was referring to speculation up-thread in response to the report that FIFA is investigating what happened after the match ended.

10. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

11. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Gotcha. Leave it to FIFA to worry about the small stuff while ignoring the more important issues. :rolleyes:o_O Seriously, if Sinclair is suspended and doesn't have a chance at the golden boot or however the Olympics labels it, I'm done with this sport. Talk about pouring salt on the wounds....

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm just wondering, when did she say that? I've only seen the one interview I posted.

And yes, she wont be the first, or the last, to say comments like that. Far from the case hahah.

13. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was after the game, TSN reported the girls did not leave the field for awhile after the game. Apparently Tancredi said a few things as well that may shake the moneybags in the FIFA castle.

14. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    A question for you Canada fans, who follow the team closely: Has Tancredi always been this big and strong? I never realized that she was so built.:ninja:

15. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I am a big fan of US Soccer. I am a fan of the Women's team, too, and I am very happy they won. But I am a mature rational person also . So feel free to judge my comments through whatever prism you choose.

I think it's a little sad that so many Canadian fans apprear to be sticking with the idea that the ref had it out for them. The ref wasn't very good. I noticed several calls that should have gone for the US that didn't. At least one should have been a pk. The ref was actually a good style of ref for Canada overall because she tended to allow physical play -- and although several of the US players are certainly comfortable with that style, Canada was the more physical team. But one call that went for the US (the pk that was called) was marginal and was called in a situation that made a big difference. That can be hard to swallow, but it's not robbery, or conspiracy. It's just the game.

I believe that if the US hadn't gotten the pk call they would have scored anyway in the last 12 minutes. Obviously you can't know for sure, but would that have really surprised anyone?

Sinclair scored three nice goals, but if she actually said the ref had decided who was going to win before the game started then she loses all respect from me. Saying she thought the pk was a bad call -- well, ok, that's a defensible opinion, but saying the ref was crooked? That's pretty classless.

I hope the bronze medal match is exciting.

16. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Also, wonder what the consensus was on the ref from the Canada fans when they had this same CR in the opening round? I will try to look into that.

17. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So she didn't know about the 6 second rule before the game started? Surrrre

18. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    lol she was not warned multiple times. this is exactly the type of inevitable exaggeration that takes over anything the USWNT are involved with. years from now the story will be Pedersen reamed her out prior, rather than the reality of the 4th official informally telling her to speed up play with no indication of consequence. despite the rarity of the call, if Pedersen herself had given clear instruction and indication of consequence (much like a yellow) to McLeod, i would have no serious issue with the call.

19. Left Inside

Left Inside Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It may be technically defensible in some sense, but I wouldn't use the word "correct" in any sense in the context of this decision.

I have never played/coached/refereed at the A level, but I do know what gets said as advice to players/coaches/refs regarding warnings, cautions ands sendings off. Supposedly, the philosophy of cautions is not just punitive but corrective. Warnings are used to avoid the need for punishment, not justify it. For that reason, clarity is essential. I know that some referees think that a sardonic raising of the eyebrow is worth a thousand words, but they're just poor officials, not evidence that players have an obligation to understand a referee's body language. If that was an offence worth an idfk the referee had a duty, especially in a match of this importance, to be clear about what standard was being applied and what would be considered trifiling.

Every authority on the six second rule makes clear that in its application it is secondary to the keeper making an honest effort to put the ball in play without improper delay. In the case where the official applied the rule so disastrously there was no delay between McLeod pulling herself off the ground, moving to the top of the area and putting the ball in play. Any violation, if there was one, was trifling. Referees have a duty that is clearly spelled out in all sorts of places to avoid calling "trifiling" violations of the laws of the game.

So no, it was not correct, at least not in anything but a trivial, pettifogging sense. Frankly, anything I saw suggests that the referee in question didn't understand the rule she applied.

That would have been "correct".

On the other hand, if it's not clear what's being communicated, no warning for a cautionable offence is actually being given. McLeod is adamant that she was never given anything that could be called a warning about time wasting and had only a general comment from an AR between halves about keeping things moving.

The fact that she rushed to put the ball in play does not mean anything at all. It's a bloody miracle that she didn't end up tossing the ball at an attacking player's feet in a panic after that travesty. The inapproapriate application of the laws of the game will modify behaviour. That doesn't make it right.

20. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We feel like we got robbed in this game," McLeod said.
    Wambach disputes that, saying that after she started the counting routine Pedersen continually told McLeod to speed up play and McLeod would acknowledge it by raising her hand to the referee"

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympi...women-s-soccer-s-comeback-against-canada.html

You were saying...?

21. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    nothing like a self proclaimed "mature, rationale" USWNT fan to put everything into perspective! legendarily bad calls are ultimately OK because it's possible that team might have scored anyway! thanks for my intelligence upgrade.

btw, Canadians don't actually think this was conspiracy. but yes, we do think it was robbery.

22. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    so if Sinclair thinks it was conspiracy all i have to do is find a quote from her and post it and it's suddenly truth? who cares what players say or report post-game, including Wambach.

officials regularly attempt to provoke quicker play from the goalies in the second half. Pedersen gesturing at her from 60 yards away is not unusual and can't possibly be considered "multiple warnings" predicating what she would ultimately end up doing. it doesn't help that it's obviously not something she would come up with on her own, either. she was emplored to call it and she did.

23. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I can edit your quotes too.

Sorry you still feel like lashing out.

24. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quote from Wambach...watch the game and observe the hand motions. Perhaps Abbi set the whole stage and the ref and player were just waving hello to each other during the game!!

So getting a verbal warning and being hurried on the field repeatedly isn't enough warnings. Should the referee have taken out a full page ad in the Sun?? You went from "It's a made up story" to "They made her do it!" awfully quick.

25. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    HAHA thank you for creating the dumbest post i have ever encountered on the interwebs. i selected specific, unmodified sentences of yours and somehow it isn't what you said? you play individual word mash-up and compare it as the same thing? truly funny stuff, sometimes i wonder why certain people even try.

you should really learn some basic fundamentals before you climb the high horse and preach. i haven't lashed out yet, i'm mostly mopping up this masturbatory attempt to preserve USWNT divinity.