Semi-finals

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Aug 4, 2012.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't want to watch Japan be the first team to win the WWC and Olys back to back?

2. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the US benefited in the indirect call. Canada benefited from the ref swallowing her whistle on several Canadian tackles. Tank got a card for dissent but made at least 2 yellow worthy tackles & should have picked up a PI card. One of the Canadian blond defenders got away w/ a 2nd leg scissor cut of legs from behind which should have been a card (no foul called). Multiple other crunching hits not called.

The ref blew (or didn't blow) multiple calls for both sides.

As for being a homer. I've said several places that Canada bossed major parts of the game and owned midfield.

4. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    this is a prime example of a ref deciding a game. and you darn sure don't make that call with minutes left in a game. what a joke! she was moving forward to kick the ball. was the ref counting, 1001, 1002, etc.? even after that, fullbach got a free setup goal, because the first robbery didn't work out. 2 chances - get the tying goal, all thanks to the ref, but Americans don't want to see it that way, as long as their baby horse :rolleyes: gets to pat her numbers. hopefully, press or sydney will have something to say about the best striker in 10 yrs when they have a new coach

5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The US got problems but they are not weaker than Japan, sure they played OT that could be a problem. Even last year's WWC match US still got more chances.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    120 minutes. 3 days rest after already playing every 3 days. Dodgy defense. Facing a team you're going to have to chase and chase and chase? Sure, I'm going to root like heck for the USA. But I see Japan winning. And possibly in a blow out.

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    You can call me whatever you want but a whole host of people in here need to read through that pdf before they start commenting so vehemently. If your interested in "handling the ball" it is on page 113. The first bullet point in that section is particularly telling. That being said, I could go either way on the handball call. It fits the criteria because of her move with hands spread toward the kick, but I also think "handball" is called too often (and 6 seconds not called enough). Personally, might not have called that one but would have called the Alex Morgan take down so it is a wash.

8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I didn't see Japan made Brazil or France chase, they are mostly making good defense and make chance from set pieces then move deep for counterattack. Especially today's semi, France dominated since 2nd half.

9. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Finish your sentences. I have no idea what you're trying to say, but it comes off as "I'm someone who missed all the horrific refereeeing by male referees during WPS, and have never seen officiating by the likes of Palmqvist and Iringova".

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    japan has no offense. it's worst now than the world cup. the usa could start a-rod, mitts and sydney and let them chase and probably come out the 1st 45 up 1:0. then, they just sub in their strengths. pia wont play it that way but they have enough punch to pull if off. japan blows but i'd prefer them vs this team tarnishing the medal

11. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok.
    I was trying to be tactful. Women referees are not as good as men. The end.

I'm sorry but you just sound ignorant. It was all a conspiracy...riiiiight.

12. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I wish team Japan well and I hope that the fans that do tune in or show up to Wembley are thoroughly entertained.

I will not be watching.

13. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    You know I wouldn't of cared which team won, so long as they gave us a good game to watch. But when you see handballs like the one Rapinoe had not get called, and the ricochet ball bouncing off two defenders get called, then I have to say there is something strange going on. I would of been onboard and happy if that ref called all the handballs, but of the 3 that I witnessed, guess what 2 of them were called on Canada and the one that Canada could of gotten a PK out of wasn't. If your going to call all the handballs that Canada took, then call it the other way as well, be fair and unbiased.

United States were the beneficiaries of all these calls. Whether you like it or not, the US got helped in a big way.

14. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha. Way to take the moral stand...for a football game... Your sacrifice is a message to the powers that be that we aren't going to accept this referee refereeing the game in the manner which she did...YEAH!!! LET'S SHUT THIS MOTHER DOWN!!!

She was warned at halftime about time wasting...didn;t listen to more repeated warnings...and an indirect free kick is part of the rule book...sooooo...

Also guys...you don;t win a game with the score of 3:3...Was there a call I missed that cuased the Canadian defense to allow a cross to be headed off the shortest player on the pitch with 30 seconds left in the game? Ohhhh, there wasn;t. Neat.

15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Americans don't see it that way, they just see baby horse's winning goal and anything Canada did wrong. Corrupt ref and bias American audience.

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Of course you get to say "the end" when you can't substantiate a sweeping statement.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  17. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    You really are a homer, normally they warn you once, and then they card you. Again I am willing to bet, you have NEVER seen a game where a referee awarded a in direct free kick for time wasting, in fact I am willing to bet, NONE of us here has seen it. The Canadian goalie never got carded, the kick was awarded right way, that should tell you something right there.

If you want to be homer, fine, but don't try to convince us this is all justified.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ref's foul recognition and/or willingness to control the physicality of the game was out of hand well before the call on McLeod and then the ensuing PK call. The US benefited from one set of decisions by the ref . Canada benefited from a different set of decisions from the ref. The ref blew the game way b/f the idfk call. A different (better) ref likely sees Tank off w/ 2 yellows well prior to the idfk. And the blond w/ the scissor 2nd leg gets a yellow. And so forth. And yes, a different (better) ref gives out a couple more yellows to USA players.

It is a gutting result. And we can all agree the ref was bad.

19. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The 2 plays were not at all equivalent. One player had her arms at her sides, the other had her arm away from her body. One was a cross that was nowhere near any Canadian players, the other blocked a shot on goal from inside the penalty area.

This game was poorly officiated (the physicality got out of hand, and if the US benefited from the 6-second rule and handball call, Canada benefited from the physicality not being reined in), but those 2 handball decisions were, if not definitely correct, at least understandable. The game itself was fantastic entertainment.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another mistake by the ref. You're right that if she's going to make that call, she's got to also give the card.

21. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to be tactful, but I'm sorry, this isn;t some sexist thing. it's just the way it is right now.

Also, um. My eyes. Common sense. General consensus.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gender of this ref is not the reason she had a poor game. There are good women refs and bad male refs. Look at the particular individual and not their gender.

23. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    It is not a bookable offense. Wasting time while ball is dead is unsportsmanlike and can be carded. The 6 second rule is different as officially ball is still in play. It is not a bookable offense.

j0osh repped this.
  24. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying it wasn;t weird. I've never seen it. But it's about what the ref did. There were warnings and its in the rule book. She decided to interpret the way it was written. That is not my fault. But for all you people saying it some evil plot to allow the Americans to win is just...dumb sounding.

What is it going to tell me? Corruption? Paid off? Just say the ref threw the game for the Americans. Stop beating around the conspiracy bush and trying to make it wherein you've never seen it so therefore it shouldn;t happen. Sorry, its in the rules.

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Can we open a final thread now?