Semi-Final Post-Game(R)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Weymouth Dave, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    "I think you have to give them a lot of credit for the season they've had," Washington coach Jim Gabarra said. "They play attractive soccer, and they don't try to destroy the game."

That's from the Charge website...

2. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I have been silent for too long. Did anybody see the article on CyberSoccer about the semifinal? I have to agree with a lot of things that the author wrote about. The formation. Carrie Moore's coverage of Pichon. Still all in all. I am upset that we lost and still mad about the lack of people at the game.

3. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    The Freedom folks are screaming bloody murder on their forum about this, saying it's another bit of cheese being served with whine by a Philadelphia writer. I don't know if the guy who wrote it is from here....I was screened by the camera position on the midfield sideline so I can't say if Wei did wrong to Clemens when they went up for the 50-50. But he's dead wrong on the Wambach-Moore car wreck of a play.

What would have happened if C. Moore was man-marked? I guess I'm trying to say is couldn't the equivalent of a pick and roll occur, say, if a midfielder drifts over to where Moore is, and then sets a pick to spring Pichon loose? I know that's screwy...

Paul

4. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    The screwiest thing about the article was his crying about Wambach being in an offside position on the pass to Jacqui. The guy just has zero feel for the game and its laws...

5. sushibait

sushibait New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    I"ve been out of town, but I did see the game. I have a couple of comments. I realize it's way late.

I think the ref did an okay job. The coach, however, that's another matter.

Lihong had her hands on her knees before halftime. Both she and Ailing could hardly move by the end of the game. Coach K always talks about the great depth on this team. Why didn't he use it?

Mandy was not only ineffective, she was productive for the Freedom. I counted 8 CONSECUTIVE turnovers in the first half. There were more. Since she didn't do anything, try someone else.

Connors should have gone out earlier.

Why sub in a defensive midfielder when you are down and need a goal?

Benson was awesome. Mitts really struggled. But she is pretty!

I think that the coach of the year cost us a shot at the championship.

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I agree with Sushibait, the coach had one of his lesser matches.

You have to account for the extreme heat, and I agree failure to use subs affected the outcome.

If he had a do-over, getting Tullock and Monroe in earlier in the 2nd half was needed.

I liked the use of Liu as a starter.

And Clemens seeing too much of the ball presented losing it too much.

I think he was playing his cards too closely and never got a chance to play his full hand. If the match had gone OT, DC would have played all theres and Krikorian would have had cards to play.

Problem was DC got the goal, and changed the entire strategic outlook.