Pre-match: Semi-final: Portugal vs Spain - June 27 [R]

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by JaredSS07, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATHBIO

ATHBIO New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Not a good solution, currently there is no much perspectives for eunuchs. Maybe a couple of centuries ago......

2. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    To me it just looks like Pepe is ballwatching, and too slow in his mind to get the situation.

3. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He is not slow. Notice that he left Gomez to attack the ball before it took a deflection. In that match, there was a moment where he was faster than some German player, by protecting the ball before it crossed the goal line. Another great moment occured in the last match, when he made an astonishing cut. I don't know if he really is the best CB in the tournament, but he clearly deserves to be part of the best squad.

4. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pepe was perfectly positioned to intercept the cross. As soon as the ball got a deflection, it was too late. No defender in the world would've been able to react to that.

The striker is running on to the ball so it's much easier for him to change direction.

After watching the video you posted, you have to be blind not to realize this.

5. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Portugal needs a miracle. Nothing else. If a few good players and strikers are enough to beat Spain then why did no one ever beat them yet? In important matches!

6. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    A miracle is a bit harsh. However, Portugal do need to play a nearly perfect game to beat the Spanish. An early goal by ronaldo and co should lock up the victory for Portugal in my opinion

7. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That 4-0 thrashing earned a cool $1M for the Spanish Soccer Federation and we all know that friendlies are like going to the homecoming dance with your sister or cousin!

Aupa Espanha y La Furia Roja!!

8. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

As a Furia supporter I too am worried about their (Portugal's) speed on the wings, with Puyol out there were questions about the Spanish defense but except for the Italy match they held and contained Ribery to a few runs to the end line but only one center and the defense cleared the ball before a French striker could bury the ball into the back of the net.

As much as folks hate the Spanish Tiki-Taka as long as they hold onto the ball the opposing team can't score which is the beauty of that style; possess, control, burn minutes off the clock and bag one goal to bring home the bacon or tocino!!

9. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That argument loses some credibility once you stick your strongest 11 out there.

10. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Friendlies are just that friendlies, you sort out some issues, watch your ideas either go down in flames or work like magic. At the end of the day it's what you do in the competitive matches that make or break a NT. A NT coach has never been fired for losing friendlies but lwould ose one game too many in competition and you're history. I serious doubt any of the Spaniards remember the thrashing that Portugal handed out to Spain in the friendly less than two years ago, and likewise the Portuguese NT would be insane to think that the Spanish team they meet tomorrow is the same team has the same attitude as the one they beat 4-0.

11. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They won't, and the few Portuguese that invoke this video use it as a motivation. Everybody deeply knows how difficult it will be.

12. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There was no testing from Spain in the friendly, they went with their best 11, played their best tactics, and wanted to win the game. And it wasn't even close. You guys played exactly the same way that you do every game. You had 60-70% possession throughout the game, nothing new, but at no point were you in control of the game. Portugal steam rolled Spain, and that was without Ronaldo for half of the game.

As a Portuguese, I feel toward the WC game the same way you feel about the friendly. In the WC we played a style that is not ours and doesn't suit our players at all. How would you feel if Spain suddenly started playing like Greece with the players they have?

When Spain won in the WC, we had Pepe in the midfield, and we had Ricardo Costa on the right. Ricardo Costa is a CB that has no business being anywhere near the National team. We didn't have Moutinho or Nani and both are crucial to the way Portugal plays. We had an aging Simao and a frustrated and isolated Ronaldo. We also had a baboon for a coach.

Spain on the other hand, had David Villa who is a huge threat for any team.

Even with all that against us, we controlled the game. If you think differently than I suggest you re-watch it. Spain had no potency and no end product. Portugal was relaxed and in control throughout. Things changed when Llorente came on and that was really when things started happening for Spain. Even so, it took an offside goal and a bogus red card for you to win.

You should be embarrassed.

Of course that's not to say that things will play out the same way, but Spain will need to draw more from the friendly than the WC game for reasons that I'm tired of explaining. If you guys go in there thinking that Portugal will play like they did in the WC, as Iniesta has already said, you might be in for a shock.

We'll see what happens, but I think that Portugal can be a real problem for Spain, more so than what Germany might be.

13. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Having said all that.. I am concerned that we give Spain too much respect. If we play the way we should, and with the mentality that we are equals, I actually don't see how Spain can beat us.. unless they get lucky.

FORCA PORTUGAL CARALHO

ATE OS COMEMOS

14. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If I could choose any specific footballing philosophy for Portugal to play against, I would choose Spain's tiki taka all day every day. Obviously I would prefer that the players weren't as good, but I would still rather play against tiki taka and the Spanish players, than play against Denmark who like to counter.

15. mattplant

mattplant Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think we're in for a very interesting game. My bet is on Spain, as I see them in the final with Germany. Portugal can surprise me though, if they play very very well and don't make many mistakes. Spain will probably control the ball throughout most of the game.

16. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Even if it was just a friendly, it is still the worst defeat for Spain since they won the World Cup.

Oh they do!
    http://www.irwanda.rw/news/sport/item/12867-iniesta-looking-forward-to-portugal-clash.html

Iniesta about the 4-0 defeat:
    ''
    Fortunately that was some time ago; it was a different game and it has nothing to do with the game we will play tomorrow,"

17. Ramon Allones

Ramon Allones Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Hehehe....I remember when spain used to thrash good footballing nations in friendlies and lose to them when it mattered. I wouldn't trade the narrow victory in WC 2010 for 100 4-0 victories in friendlies.

Here's hoping that Spain win this match because I think Portugal matches up well against us.

18. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    neither would I, but that's not the point.

19. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can already smell victory for Spain! They can't lose. Haven't seen them lose yet, except that crazy unbelievable switzerland victory :D Must've been luck and Spain was bored and made a mistake maybe...

I will eat my own cock if Spain wins it all this year :( Please god no....

20. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you can't get out of it now

21. El Tobios

El Tobios New Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I am sorry to say but you are right. This spain animals do not need a third title in row. They have to be beaten! Soccer gets so boring always this pass show and the minimalistic 1:0 show. I can't see it anymore it makes me sick. But portugal can't beat spain its impossible. I think ronaldo will try to strike the ball 40 meters away from spain goal casillas will laugh about it. Spain will win 1:0 as always. i hope and pray that pepe will destroy iniesta. Portugal can't win but their destiny is to fight and play brutal they have to weaken spain that they won't be able to win the final. Soccer gets to boring if always spain wins. It can't be the interest of soccer sport so they have to be beaten that soccer don*t lose most of his popularity. I will finish international soccer career if spain gets europe champion again. Such a boring shit i can't watch 2014 to boring to know who will be champion. So all of us pray that spain gets defeated. Spain stands for the sentence game of my live i can't hear it anymore always in front of game against germany. Now is the time they are doomed to lose i am looking forward to it. Back to the portugal spain game, its sure that spain wins i am sorry and sad to say portugal is doomed to die, nevertheless i pray they can weaken spain as much as possible!

22. oxladechamb15

oxladechamb15 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Lincoln
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Definitely banking on a strangled Portugal succumbing to Spain with very few goals involved.

23. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I do pray that Spain is underestimating Portugal as much as some of you guys are. I really do!!!:)

24. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why do you love Spain? There is no excitement in these games!

25. ATHBIO

ATHBIO New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    The excitement is in thinking about you eating your own....