Pre-match: Semi-final: Portugal vs Spain - June 27 [R]

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by JaredSS07, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My tip: 1:0 Spain :D It will be a great game for soccer lovers ^^

kaizer5 repped this.
  2. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Spain have to be more worried about Portugal than the other way around.

They're expected to make the final.. we aren't
    We know exactly how they'll play.
    Expect a lot of rough tackles and fouling in the middle, we won't let them settle.
    They will have a lot of possession, but will have to be extra cautious with it. They know that any mistake will cost them dearly.

As long as we don't lose our concentration, I don't see how we can lose.

The way Portugal plays, possession means nothing. Portugal has scored a goal for every 25 minutes in possession, I think that's more than any other team left. We had less possession against Germany, Netherlands, and Denmark. We have also been very wasteful in front of goal and if we had scored half of our missed chances, we'd have a lot more goals. If the players find their scoring boots, the spanish have no chance.

The only time Portugal has looked uncomfortable at the back is when crosses have been put in for big strikers (Gomez, Bendtner). If Spain play the way they've been playing, I can see another quiet night for Patricio.

I am a whole lot more relaxed about this game than I was against the Czechs or the Danes. In fact, there are only 2 things that worry me about this game.
    1. One of our defenders has a lapse in concentration or slips.
    2. Spain plays with Torres or Llorente.
    If Spain plays 4-6-0, I'm fairly certain we will win. Not only will we win, but we'll be the better team by far.

Of course if everything falls apart and we lose 4-0, I will deny ever writing this :D

joaommx repped this.
  3. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal's strikers are decoys, in order to open space in the opposing defense for other players (especially Ronaldo) to replace them in the scoring position. This happened at least against Holland and Czech Republic. Defenders must always be aware of the striker's movements and they sometimes forget the wingers. That is why I think Ronaldo shouldn't play in the middle. It basically steals us our best winger and makes it easier for the opposite defense to mark him.

thebaptist repped this.
  4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, Portugal must score first and early too.

5. BENFICATUGA

BENFICATUGA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 10, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Absolutely. Arbeloa will have a difficult time trying to stop both Ronaldo and Coentrão. He will need some help from other players. On the other side, Alba and Iniesta seem to play well with each other and Nani needs to help João Pereira facing these two. Spain's left side will be a great problem for Portugal. From what i saw, Xabi Alonso receives many passes from his teammates and he is the one that commands the attack. If Portugal's midfielders manage to put pressure on Alonso (and Busquets) preventing him from having the ball and commanding the attack, i think that winning the game won't be so difficult for Portugal. Of course it won't be that easy, but still... I hope that Pepe and Bruno Alves can deal with Fabregas or Torres... Portugal has a chance, it will be a great game. We'll see what happens... :unsure:

6. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Against France, that was the case but it's not often the case in general. Usually it's Xavi that recieves more passes and control the tempo.
    I think the problem for Portugal lies in the midfield (just like any other team that has played Spain), they'll always be out numbered by the spanish players who are also technically better. And the Portuguese players will have to be careful about commiting faults.

Excape Goat and BENFICATUGA repped this.
  7. Aspire732

Aspire732 Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Portugal has a good chance in beating Spain, but if Spain plays 100% their game then in my opinion no team will have a chance.

8. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arbeloa is going to be on suicide watch by the end of the game if he faces Ronaldo. Out of all the games so far Spain have played, this one worries me the most.

And who will be playing as striker for Portugal now that Postiga is out? Need to know for Fantasy purposes ;)

9. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    For sure, Spain is doomed. Portugal is the overwhelming favorite I think.

thebaptist and whill4 repped this.
  10. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Ronaldo is going to smoke Arbeloa because his speed,dribbling and ball handling. The key for Portugal to win is effective counter attack from Nani and CR7 and the midfield. I am worried that the rest of the team won't step up. The reason is if Spain has another 65%-35% ball possion game they will be mentally exhausted. Bento should forget about Hugo and put in Nelson. It needs a team effort to beat Spain. The team must no depend on CR7 and Nani and wait to see what they do. Everybody needs to get involved because when Spain hold ball possession it gets exhausting. And Pepe and Bruno need to stay calm and not do harsh fouls that can cost the team a red card. Wednesday is going to be a bloodbath. Hopefully Portugal wins and get that monkey off their back. I am bored of the Spanish tiki-taka snooze fest. Plus I would love to see Portugal in the Confederation Cup next year.:) Portugal vs Brasil in a confederation cup final is what I want.

BENFICATUGA repped this.
  11. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Portugal needs a miracle to win this game!

12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That's what my baseball loving co-worker who never watches soccer said. Well, he only really cares about world cups.

13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even game. Experience versus a hungry team. Possession against speed and counterattacking. Key to games is defense. PK and Arbeloa can be exposed with speed. Pepe and Alves lack patience and composure. Spain has big advantage in goal.

14. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who the hell thinks Spain could lose against Portugal after 4 years with only one tournament loss against Switzerland? I'm just a dreamer lalala Ozzy time :D

El Tobios repped this.
  15. ATHBIO

ATHBIO New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Tomorrow we´ll be out of doubts and new threads will be opened. If Spain is still in and Portugal out, we´ll be speaking again about how Italy/Germany will destroy boring Spain.

16. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pepe and Alves have been very calm, and played surprisingly clean on the other games. Pepe had one foul called in four games, Bruno had only a few more.
    We have to thank Paulo Bento for that, he tamed the beasts. But then again, it's not surprising because "tranquilidade" is his middle name, although only the portuguese will understand this one.

Look at that. They even look almost friendly:
    [​IMG]

17. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Heh, well Pepe hasn't had anyone to wind him up yet has he?

Anyway, he has been very impressive so far this tournament. The best centerback in the tournament so far.

18. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    He was responsible for the defeat to Germany. I'd rather go with Hummels.

19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They look just like puppy dogs. Killer puppy dogs! :p

Agreed. I was referring more to past history. Both of them have been very composed in this tournament. How they react under pressure of the semis or finals will be the key...

20. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    how so?

21. Innisfree

Innisfree New Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Spain. For sure.

SpaniardFC repped this.
  22. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    The goal was mostly Pepe's fault. He was covering Gomez, and let him sneak away behind his back to score an easy header. Pretty clear situation.

23. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah hopefully someone will destroy that ********ing Spain team :( A third title and I will eat my own....

24. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pepe would have headed it away if it hadn't deflected on Moutinho's foot. There's only so much he can do.

But you can argue that Bendter's second was his fault.

25. thebaptist

thebaptist Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Durban, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pepe was in the correct zone but the ball got a pretty big deflection and ended up where Gomez was. If the cross had happened normally, Pepe would've been in the right place and it would've been business as usual. In these situations, it's a lot easier for the striker to latch onto a deflected ball or a miss-placed cross since the striker is running towards the ball. The defender has to turn around and reposition himself. There's nothing Pepe could've done.

Pepe is easily one of the best CB in the world and certainly in this tournament. Hummels is having a great tournament, but he doesn't hold a candle to Pepe just yet.