Selling stock in an MLS team

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by soccer4ever, Aug 8, 2002.

1. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    Selling stock in an MLS team - IT'S POSSIBLE

Many said previously that selling stock in an MLS team CANNOT be done.

I just found such a public company that IS ALREADY publicly traded on NASDAQ.

-----

The following is taken from their 1999 Annual Report (sign-up for free to FreeEdgar.com and you can get the whole annual report as well as all other SEC filings).

San Diego Soccer Development Corporation, a California corporation, was founded
    in 1997 to develop, own, and run a professional soccer team in San Diego, with
    the ultimate goal of becoming a Major League Soccer franchise. The Company is
    headquartered at 2123 Garnet Avenue, Suite B, San Diego, CA 92109.

The Company operates as The San Diego Flash soccer club. The Company stages
    professional soccer games and competes in the A-League, America's Division II
    professional league.

-----

See Yahoo Finance for more info (charts, news, etc.)
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SDSD.PK&d=t

2. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    a twelve cents stock is proving your point?

3. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    YES. There is a publicly traded company that exists for 1 purpose, to obtain and operate an MLS team. Point proven. Public ownership of MLS teams is a possibility.

BTW, the Company put out a press release today:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020808/dath022_1.html

4. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    you don't have to go public to sell shares of stock. the sec allows the sale of shares through regulation a. (i'm sure you can find out all the details at sec.gov) ben and jerry's did this to raise cash before they went public.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    these guys totally went bust, with A-league franchises in San Diego, Orange County and the Bay Area all folding in the last two years, leaving many unpaid bills behind them. they were giving away this new magazine (pretty nice, actually, though i never read all the way through it) during the WC campaign in various local bars but how they plan on making money off it is sort of beyond me. the guy had big dreams to build a SSS for the Flash in San Diego and it piddled out like so much dust in the wind. the "publicly traded company" doesn't exist for the SOLE purpose of getting a MLS franchise, although this WAS the ultimate goal. his plans failed miserably. he's a big dreamer but reality has bitten him in the #ss.

but if you want to give him your money, feel free...so to speak.

6. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Well, not really. What it means is that you could own an entity that operates an MLS team, like say AEG, if it wasn't closely held by Phil himself. But, as things stand now, you couldn't ever have public ownership of a team, since the teams belong to the league and the league can't be bought (insert all-star game joke here)

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    why did you start a duplicate thread?

Please pick a place (here or B&M) and discuss it.

8. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Acctually this corporation that was San Diego Flash, use to trade at a much higher price during the glory days of the market. I use to trade as a Nasdaq Bulletin Board stock, but now is relegated to the Pink Sheets. As far as I know, the operations have ceased for this corporation, but I may be wrong.

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    According to that press release, they're promoting a soccer magazine, not a MLS team.

10. skyforge

skyforge New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Tucson, Arizona
    The stock market--the original promotion/relegation system. :)

11. sniper

sniper New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    New York, NY
    run away, run away....

I remember some one mentioning this stock to me some time ago. At the time it was around $1.80 per share. When I found out who it was i told the guy to stay away from it...unless he had the guts to "go short" on it. Too bad I didn't - would have been one of the greatest plays of all time!

This was the old "Peacock Financial Group" which owned 3 clubs at one time...and folded them all! The entity may still exist, but I don't think they have any league or team affiliation what-so-ever.

12. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I can't believe these guys are still around. They must have second jobs because they can't be eating with the revenue that they have coming in.