Selection Board Lists

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Red Card, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I organized the selection process into 6 lists. The selections on these lists are subjective and only represent my opinion at this moment. And of course I could have accidentally left off an obvious choice.

Vacancies from 2002 team (9):
    Friedel, Meola, Agoos, Llamosa, Regis, Jones, Mathis, Stewart, Moore

Bubble from 2002 team (2):
    Berhalter, Sanneh

Returnees from 2002 team to 2006 team (12):
    Keller, Hejduk, Mastroeni, Cherundolo, Pope, Beasley, Donovan, Lewis, O'Brien, Reyna, McBride, Wolff

Newcomers for 2006 team (3):
    Johnson, Dempsey, Bocanegra

Openings for Goalkeepers (2)
    Top Candidates : Cannon, Howard, Hahnemann, Hartman, Rimando, Reis

Openings for Field Players (6)
    Top Candidates: Berhalter, Sanneh, Armas, Ching, Conrad, Gibbs, Noonan, Olsen, Onyewu, Ralston, Twellman, Vanney, Zavagnin, Convey, Quaranta

2. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice list. My thoughts:

JOB is a lock IF he stays healthy and returns to close to his previous form. Because all must concede that the former requirement is iffy, I think you almost have to put him in the "on the bubble" category. On the other hand, it would seem to me that Gibbs and Onyewu are no less likely to make the squad than is Boca -- I would put all three in the same category (seems to me they are all just slightly below "definites").

Finally, you list Hejduk, Pope and Wolff all as definite returners from the '02 squad. While I agree that there is more than a 75% chance that all of these players will make the squad, I would assert that they are not locks a la Donovan, KK and DFB. Perhaps they belong in a seperate "likely to return" category as they certainly are more likely to return than Sanneh, Berhalter or Jones (who i would put with those 2 btw) but less likely than the aforementioned folk.

just a little nitpicking but otherwise -- excellent analysis.

3. Stifflizard

Stifflizard New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Reading
    I would add Klien to the "top candidates" list.
    Also, Gibbs and Gooch are "newcomers".
    Only 4 spots available in my book: striker, dm, rm , and back.
    Otherwise, I agree. Nice work.

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revised a little:

Vacancies from 2002 team (9):
    Friedel, Meola, Agoos, Llamosa, Regis, Jones, Mathis, Stewart, Moore

Bubble from 2002 team (2):
    Berhalter, Sanneh

Returnees from 2002 team to 2006 team (12):
    Keller, Hejduk, Mastroeni, Cherundolo, Pope, Beasley, Donovan, Lewis, O'Brien, Reyna, McBride, Wolff

Newcomers for 2006 team (5):
    Johnson, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Gibbs, Oneywu

Openings for Goalkeepers (2)
    Top Candidates : Cannon, Howard, Hahnemann, Hartman, Rimando, Reis

Openings for Field Players (4)
    Top Candidates: Berhalter, Sanneh, Armas, Ching, Conrad, Noonan, Olsen, Ralston, Twellman, Vanney, Zavagnin, Convey, Quaranta, Klein

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't vacate Meola so quickly. If some time later this season he becomes the Metro #1 and plays decently, and somehow carries into next season, I can envision Bruce making him the #3 on the roster.

I don't see anything special in Hanneman. Not enough for him to step past Howard.

Reis is a nasty SOB (as a goalkeeper I like it), he would scare me in an international game. The dude is a red card waiting to happen. He seems to make a hit each week that borders on a red card.

Hartman and Rimando are not going to the WC unless they got in on the ticket lottery.

6. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    I think that's a good working list and considering that we'll definiitely add 2 keepers (likely Howard & Hahnemann), we have 19 players on the definite roster. That leaves only 3 spots for field players. Below, I've broken down our 19 "locks" into the positions they CAN be played at.

Foward (6 options)
    McBride
    Johnson
    Wolff
    Beasley
    Donovan
    Dempsey

Midfield (7 options)
    Beasley (L)
    Donovan (R/C)
    Mastroeni (C)
    Reyna (R/C)
    O'Brien (L/C)
    Lewis (L)
    Dempsey (C)

Defense (7 Options)
    Hedjuk (L/R)
    Mastroeni (C)
    Cherundolo (R)
    Pope (C)
    Gibbs (C)
    Onweyu (C)
    Bocanegra (L/C)

Keeper (3 options)
    Keller
    Howard
    Hahnemann

Assuming all these players make the squad and are healthy, I think we definitely need to add more options in the Midfield and another pure defender - and I think it's obvious that the ability to play multiple positions adds to a players value.

That said, looking at the list of potential additions, I think Noonan will likely make the squad. He can play forward or midfield.

Ralston - he's been a workhorse on the right side during WCQ's and we need more midfielders that are solid on the right flank.

Adding these two would give us 7 options up top and 9 options in the midfield.

Other options:

Convey (L/Ldefense) - Although he can play in the back too, I think he's got more to overcome than the Ralston or Noonan b/c we already have several options on the left side - definitely high on the list of alternates

Zavagnin / Armas (C) - Mastro, Reyna & JOB will likely suffice for a defensive midfielder - definitely high on the list of alternates

Twellman (F) - hasn't seen any time recently - unlikley

Quaranta (F/M) - If he impresses. he has a decent shot. He needs to show something though - could be high on the list of alternates.

Olsen (R) - He obviosuly can't play in the center and he's not as good as Ralston

Klein (R) - doesn't seem like BA is seriously considering him. He needs to get in a match and show,

Ching (F) - will need to show some impressive form upon his return. It's now what have you done for me or even what have you done for me lately - but what can you do for me now and tomorrow? - if healthy, a solid shot at alternate if a fwd gets injured.

3rd Spot - goes to a pure defender - I think there's an open competition between Conrad/Berhalter/Sanneh/Vanney.

Conrad (C) - can he play on a wing?
    Vanney (L)
    Berhalter (C)
    Sanneh (R/C)

7. Steel Keeper

Steel Keeper Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Unfortunately you might be right about Ralston. Although he is great for WCQ, I don't want to see him in Germany. The fact is, he is our only true right midfielder. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Gaven will fill that role, or that Q, Dempsey, Reyna, JOB, someone can show that they belong out there. I think Noonan will go because of his versatility, especially the ability to play the right flank.

With your set roster, which looks quite accurate at the moment, there are 4 more players to be added. One of which should be Noonan. Another should be a forward, the third a guy who can play a few positions along the backline. The 4th is the wild card.

I'm hoping that Quaranta and Spector will prove themselves. Guys like Gaven, Convey, Zavagnin, Ralston, Marshall, Berhalter are in for a dog fight.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

O Brien can play left side, also hasn't Gibbs played left side for the Nats? Unlikely, but you can throw Chris Albright in the mix on the right side.

9. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Why Klein?

10. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Your overall assesment is on target, but there are actually 4 open spots.

I think they go to:
    Ralston - BA seems quite comfortable with him, and he feeds 2-3 beautiful balls in the mix every game.

Noonan for the reasons you describe.

Vanney as the defender because we are still confused at LB.

And... last spot wasted on Armas because Bruce says so :-(

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we writing off Chad Marshall already? He did well in the winter camp, and seeing as we're likely to have at least a couple meaningless WCQ matches this fall, I don't think he's out of the picture. Let's see how the Crew does with someone other than Andrulis at the helm.

12. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County
    Marshall already had shown plenty of skill. Then he showed character by continuing to play when the other guys gave up trying for Andrulis. Hope someone is watching him.

13. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    if anything, i think its quite obvious how tough it is for so many of these quality players to make our world cup team. Also, lets not forget that we had some injuries in 2002 that allowed for big emergences. Armas got injured to get Pablo on the team and then Reyna got injured to get Pablo a start. Also, Keller got injured and Friedel got the starts. And *thank god* Agoos finally got injured and we beat Mexico!

Come to think of it, wasn't Agoos the player sent off when we tied Mexico at the Azteca in '97? Hmm . . .

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two comments:

Ching is out for 4 months. Given that MLS will be over when he returns it will be very difficult for him to play his way back onto the squad.

I think the major factor in whether a new, bubble player (e.g. Noonan, Dempsey, Quaranta, Twellman, Marshall, Gaven, Spector) makes it has alot to do with when he clinch.
    If we falter and need 9-10 games to clinch, these type players will not have a chance to show and the squad in Germany will have fewer youngsters.

15. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc

You're spot on, but calling Dempsey a "bubble" player is like calling Donovan a bubble player in 2001. No way, Dempsey is a lock.

That said, it just occurred to me that Pablo had never played in a WCQ or even any of the friendlies leading up to 2002 before BA named him. ALso, BA has a penchance for wanting to use every player he takes so I don't think he's going to take a player unless he really thinks he will voluntarily play him - although he did take David Regis in 2002 even though he apparently dropped him from any plans during the pre-2002 quallies.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually Regis was dropped because Tony Sanneh forgot he was Tony Sanneh for about 6 weeks.

17. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    I agree with most of what has been said on this board, but am surprised to see so much mention of Quaranta. He had one (his only) strong game with the full Nats, and has barely established himself as a starter in MLS. Are we basing this upon his performance with the youth teams or just the one start?

As a DC fan, I would LOVE to see him reach his full potential. However, I think he has a TON of work to do if he is gonna make the roster for Germany.

18. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc

I think the fact that BA called Quaranta up is more indicative of his potential to be included than anything. He played well in the time he had and can be used at both M or F. You're right though - he still has more work - and definitely is not a player who just has to "not screw up," but I think he has a chance of making the squad. He needs to show though, that's for sure.