Seleção General Discussion, 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Both were beautiful plays. I saw some criticism of Vini saying he was mostly shut down today, but frankly I thought he was very good. Perhaps more about giving Real Madrid and outlet and moving the ball forward than creating final chances, but a big contributor overall.

Rodrygo's goal is pretty big, and would have been easy to screw up, despite Modric's pass. I have to think that he is going to be one of the +3 Tite takes.

Casemiro on the other hand, not a bad game, just below average for him and way overcommitted on the third Chelsea goal.

Going back to the Hulk conversation: I would not be too surprised to see him in June, but I would be very surprised if he makes an impact (pleasantly surprised though). He has a lot of freedom with Atl Mineiro that he wouldn't have for Brazil and when the WC starts, he will be 36 years old and coming off of a ridiculous 70+ game season.

In fact, maybe he should be called up in June and September to get some rest. In June we will play 3 games during a period in which Atletico Mineiro have 4-5 matches schedules.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Veiga with 2 sick goals today. A Fk and a sensational volley.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    @celito I will admit I had never heard of Rafael Navarro Leal until the first match your team played in this Libertadores. At 21 he demonstrates a fearsome faro de gol.

As a Palmeiras fan, you may be biased, but if FIFA confirms the roster for the World Cup is enlarged to 26, would you support Tite bringing him? I'm sure @Ombak could provide better context as to what positions would be better supplied if it's a 26-man roster, but I thought that taking Navarro along would be reminiscent of Parreira taking Ronaldo (the original one) to USA '94. He didn't play, but I speculate that just as being part of the Tetra campaign meant a lot for the teenager who later became the best player in the world and who led Brazil to the 2002 World Cup championship, seeing the World Cup in person may feed Navarro's own ambitions for glory as he gets older.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Navarro came from Botafogo. He played in the 2nd division last season and did well. Leila was burned with signings like Borja and Lucas Lima so she has been looking for players that are less risky and can possibly give some transfer profit down the line. Navarro fits this category.

Honestly I don't know what his potential is. He is certainly not in the same category as Ronaldo when he was young in 94. I think back then, everybody knew Ronaldo was going to be a big deal based on his skillset. Navarro was struggling with the minutes he received up until these last 2 Libertadores games. And while the goals were nice, they were against pretty poor teams. But he does seem to be a decent target striker. Not sure about the rest of his skillset ... mainly hold up play and linkup.

I think if Tite is gonna go with a striker still not on the radar, it would be Pedro. While he is off form, he has probably proven himself a bit more.

Century's Best repped this.
  5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I see. Well, even if he's a tier or two below a player like Ronaldo, so is the overwhelming majority of active professional soccer players in the world - nothing to be ashamed of.

At this pace, though, Navarro is going to be capped - even if it only happens before the World Cup where he's a bench player who gets a few minutes in the second half, or afterwards. If he keeps this up, Leila is going to be hearing from UEFA teams offering rivers of money for him.

6. V_Park

V_Park Member

Dec 20, 2004
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If Tite wants to do the same thing as Parreira, he should bring Endrick who turn 16 on July. Obviously, he still have to play among professionals, but I have high expectations on him. Hope he doesn't turn another Lulinha.

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    celito repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jesus with 2 big misses today in the FA SF . Not doing himself any favors .

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    EDITED: Misread the summary I just saw, so ignore the original statement.

He did well on the first goal, but regardless, right now I am not betting on Gabriel Jesus to get one of the 3 extra call-up spots. (Though I think Tite may just want him regardless).

10. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Bruno G. looking good with newcastle

Ombak repped this.
  11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lots of comebacks and last-minute winners today in matches involving selecionáveis.

Bruno Guimarães is going to be a Newcastle legend at this rate. And his English is coming along too.

Vini Jr. and Rodrygo played a part in Real winning 3x2. Rodrygo had the first Real goal and an assist on the winning goal. Vini was involved in the winning play and also had a goal disallowed.

Matheus Cunha reportedly played a solid match when he came on for Atlético. They won with a penalty in injury time.

In other matches, Antony was out injured while Ajax lost the Cup.

Neymar scored a brilliant goal to open the scoring against Marseille, PSG won 2x1.

In Brazil, Gabi scored a solid goal for Flamengo in their win, but Palmeiras continue to stumble in the Brasileirão while dominating in the Libertadores.

No big highlights on the defensive end, at least not among probable call-ups. On the positive side, no high-profile blunders. Danilo did play a different role for Juventus this weekend and almost scored, but they drew 1x1.

By my guess we're still 4 to 5 weeks away from any call-up news.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Militao had some blunders today in the 1st half. Played the wrong angle in Sevilla's 1st goal and broke the wall formation in the 2nd. Apparently he had a better 2nd half, but it looks like Madrid dominated much of it.

Rodrygo is really trying to sneak into a spot with these super sub performances.

Ombak repped this.
  13. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Silva and Marquinhos should ideally be the 2 CBs in qatar. No other decent and "Reliable" options here.

14. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Militão is the most solid defender in Real Madrid rn. Silva and Marquinhos also recently made mistakes at their clubs.

I’d also go with Silva + Marquinhos in the starting XI, but Militão is as decent and reliable as them.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am a bit against going with Silva as good as he seems to be doing at Chelsea. His age is a concern for me.

16. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Militao and Marquinhos for me. Silva has lost a step even though, he still good.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Brazil beat Argentina 2-1 in the U-17 final of the Torneio de Montaigu. Kids from both teams went at it with fists after the final whistle. At the end, though, both delegations went through the medal ceremony normally.

@celito two main players in this juvenil NT are from your team: o atacante Endrick e o meia Luís Guilherme.

Of this roster, the odds any will ever play for the main NT are low. We'll see in a few years.

Ombak repped this.
  18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Endrick scored the first and was taken down for a PK that Luis Guilherme converted.

the refrain around Endrick right now is let's be patient and take it slow, so he doesn't get overwhelmed with expectations. I have to say, after watching his post-game interview, he's definitely mature enough to handle it and seems to have a very positive environment.

None of that is a guarantee he'll make it as a pro, but it certainly points in the right direction.

brasileiragem repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Saw the highlights. Some damn poor finishing. Including one miss from Endrick. Too early to tell how good he will be. Also interesting to see how much he will still grow height wise. He is a bit short.

Also a big fight at the end of the game. They learn early ...

20. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As far as I remember, Militao has also done 2 huge blunders in one game ( I think in UCL game) .....

21. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    IMO a mix of youth and experience is better here. Going with both Marquinhos and Militao may mean disaster. One single mistake in a big QF or SF game against a European side can cost us the WC . Silvas experience can come in handy as well.

22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    FIFA has scheduled the Brazil vs. Argentina WCQ match for .... SEPTEMBER.

September 22 - more than 1 year after the actual match.

CBF will choose the venue, and the deadline for this decision is June 22.

And apparently, the June 11 friendly in Australia will proceed as scheduled. Brazil has set up friendlies against the Republic of Korea and against Japan in June and against Mexico in September.

This is 7 weeks before the first players report to Granja Comary for the final preparations en route to the 2022 World Cup.

Ombak repped this.
  23. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Playing against South Korea and Japan in friendlies is equivalent to playing in XBOX. It's not gonna help

Cosmin10 repped this.
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil