Seleção General Discussion, 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tonight's result plus the other 4 CONMEBOL WCQ matches ends the 2022 World Cup Qualifying tournament, although the pending match vs. Argentina remains.

Tite deu a volta por cima. After the 2019 continental title, Brazil went into a slump, and although Brazil had satisfactory results in early 2022 WCQ, the play was often lacking. The fluidity and easy plays and thunderous goals from 2018 WCQ were all gone, and people began to complain again about Tite's stubborn and inflexible approach.

Jovem Pan had an anchorman say that of the 80-something players Tite has capped since his first match in 2016, more than 50 did not play between 2016 and 2018. If that's not renewing the team, then there is no such thing as renewing the team.

Tonight's result was the third consecutive 4-0 goleada. In 2022 WCQ, Brazil has won 13 matches and drawn 4; Brazil has scored 40 goals while allowing 5 (and 2 in 1 match, vs. Peru). As was the case in 2018 WCQ, Brazil ends the tournament with the best offense and the best defense.

The FIFA ranking #1 spot, which is Brazil's now, is nice to have, but Brazil under Tite has rebuilt itself and returned to the World Cup in impressive fashion, with newly incorporated players who will form the backbone of the team post-Tite.

Brazil has proven again, under Tite, to be the best national team in CONMEBOL and will arrive in Qatar as one of the main contenders for the World Cup.

Ombak repped this.
  2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tite's record across both qualifying campaigns is 24 wins and 5 draws (12 games pre-2018, 17 this time around):

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    His replacement is in for a serious challenge. And even if Tite fails in Qatar and his successor leads Brazil to the title in 2026, it'll be very difficult to match these numbers in 2026 WCQ (unless CONMEBOL goes back to the pre-1998 group system).

4. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Brazil can possibly get a Group of Death if the draw don’t go out way.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Some said Brazil's group in 2010 was somewhat akin to a group of death given Portugal and the Ivory Coast were in it, but Brazil emerged as group winner and unbeaten. What harmed us was a foul an Ivorian committed against Elano, and he was never the same; this hurt Brazil during the knockout rounds.

No one ever wants Brazil in their group. No one.

brasileiragem, Cosmin10 and Ombak repped this.
  6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We could almost as likely have an easy group. We'll just have to wait and see.

Germany and the Netherlands in pot 2 are obviously much more challenging than USA and Mexico, but there is no group that Brazil will not be the favorite to win.

brasileiragem and Cosmin10 repped this.
  7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I think a difference between 2018 and 2022 is that Tite has a deeper bench this time around, and that he's more (a LITTLE more) willing to experiment, both players and tactical variations.

Ombak repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What a turnout for Tite's 2nd term. I know it's "just" WCQ SA games, but the team was struggling after post WC 2018. The rebuild/reboot wasn't looking good. Even when results were OK in WCQ. The CA 2019 title wasn't convincing either. The team looked seriously limited. GJ, Firmino, Everton, Gabigol all looked more or less stale up front. Then, in the past year, Raphinha, Antony, and now even Vin Jr. and Cunha have turned around the attack and brought life to it. Now, we have players not named Neymar that can go at defenders 1v1. Tite's bet on Paqueta is also paying off. And BG may be also starting to fit in.

I think our weakest spot at the moment is RB. Although with strong wingers, having attacking FBs may not be that big of a deal.
    '

Cosmin10 repped this.
  9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Deeper and also a bench that is more entrosado with the starters and not just untested options.

brasileiragem and Century's Best repped this.
  10. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Tite and the squad are doing everything right. Now we need a 'sorte de campeão', like Galvão would always say.

Who would you want in our group this Friday?

My preferences:

Group C:
    Brazil
    USA
    Korea
    Saudi Arabia

Then the quarter final would be: 1C vs 2D against the winner of 1A vs 2B. So we could even play a team like Mexico on R16 and Switzerland on QF.

11. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    I would want to avoid the obvious ones for the group phase: Germany and Netherlands. And then from there onwards, I would prefer to meet Argentina and France in the final only.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not sure about getting an overly easy group. I'd rather face an European team in the group stage not named Germany/Netherlands. Just to prepare for the KO round.

France is the team we would probably fare worst against. Would like for someone to knock them out before we meet them.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  13. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Actually, my bad. It's mandatory to have 1 European team per group. So consider Serbia there instead of Korea.

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    FIFA congress this Thursday. Tite will be in Qatar for the coach's meeting that will vote on, among other things, expanding the roster to 26 players.

That decision should be known before the draw happens (1pm Brazil time on Friday).

Aside from the Bolivia game, most national team talk today on Brazilian TV was about the potential roster.

I did hear one pundit say 26-man rosters will include 4 keepers, which no reputable source has said, so as usual, the lack of clarity on simples things like this among Brazilian pundits is a bit frustrating.

Since we will know if the roster is 23 or 26 in less than 48 hours, there's not much point speculating until then.

Once we do know, you know I'll be posting my predictions, and I invite everyone else to post theirs.

As for the draw itself, here's a "Pre-match"(as in Pre-WC) thread we can use to talk about that:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/world-cup-draw-sorteio-da-copa-do-mundo.2120262/

Century's Best repped this.
  16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/fute...-com-pleito-por-26-convocados-a-copa-2022.htm

Tite is in Qatar and confirmed he is in favor not only of expanding the roster but also the bench. This would mean that instead of having to select 23 for each game from the 26 player expanded roster, all 26 could be available each game.

Keep in mind that those are separate issues so if they vote for 26 man squads for the tournament there will probably be a separate vote to decide if the match day roster stays at 23 or also expands.

brasileiragem repped this.
  17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Matheus Cunha returned to action today. He was expected to be out maybe 2 months so this is about 2 weeks early.

He came on with 18 mins left and the game tied 1x1. He drew a PK that Suarez scored and assisted Suarez on another. The game ended 4x1 for Atletico. He did not score but did have some good chances in addition to the PK and assist. A huge impact for someone who was out injured for 6 weeks and only played 18 minutes today.

celito and brasileiragem repped this.
  19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Radar da seleção time! Instead of focusing on who played this weekend, I'm going to try to summarize what's to come, ahead of the May 30 - June 14 FIFA window.

In Europe, most leagues will end on the weekend of May 22. Portugal and Holland will finish the weekend of May 15. Most players will have a break of over one week before friendlies, except those playing in the Champions League final on May 28.

A good guess for the next convocação is Thursday, May 19 but that date and the friendlies to be played are all TBD. Tite and the coaching staff will be at 2 CL matches this week - Man City vs. Atletico Madrid and Chelsea vs. Real Madrid.
    • Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea - 11 to 15 more matches to play (8 league, 1 or 2 FA Cup, 2 to 5 CL).
    • Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid - 10 to 13 matches (8 league, 2 to 5 CL).
    • Marseille, Lyon - 10 to 13 matches (8 league, 2 to 5 Europa League).
    • Benfica - 8 to 11 matches left (6 league, 2 to 5 CL).
    • Barcelona have La Liga and Europa matches left, but Dani Alves is not registered for the Europa League. For our purposes, they have 9 league matches left.
    • Juventus - 8 to 9 matches left (7 league, 1 or 2 Coppa Italia).
    • Ajax - 7 matches left (6 league and 1 Cup).
    All the other relevant teams have only league matches left to play:
    • PSG - 8 matches left. With their current lead, they will win the title before May.
    • Arsenal (9, including tomorrow), Everton (9), Man Utd, Monaco, Newcastle, Sevilla (8), Aston Villa, Leeds, Tottenham (7).
    And all players, except Veríssimo are currently back from injury. If Veríssimo returns before the call-up, I expect he will be called at least to be observed, whether or not he plays.

I expect at least 26 players to be called up, unless FIFA unexpectedly decides not to expand rosters for the WC. I would hope we see at least and extra RB among the names and I also hope we see more than 26 just for observation.

Of course, the roster will include players from Brazilian clubs which I have not listed above. See the next post for more on that.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I keep reading that Serbia is a better team than they were in 2018. Definitely more technical than the Swiss. If that's true, then our group will be tougher than expected. In 2018 I thought we had full control of the game vs Serbia and didn't find them threatening. If that's true, then we will really need to hit the ground running.

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In Brazil, the state championships are over. While the finals this weekend will have some big repercussions, these are still essentially a pre-season. This week is when the two biggest tournaments begin: Libertadores and Brasileirão.

Brazilian teams will be playing during the FIFA window in June. Any player called up will probably play midweek on May 24/25 (Libertadores) and maybe even May 29 (Brasileirão) before the trip for the friendlies.

As a reminder, these friendlies are likely to be in Korea, Japan and Australia (vs. Argentina) and players in Brazil will be playing twice a week until then, then twice almost every week after coming back until the September call-up and again until the World Cup.

I believe the only relevant clubs are Flamengo, Palmeiras, Atlético Mineiro and maybe Corinthians.

Assuming the call-up is May 19, all of those clubs will play 12-13 matches until the announcement (some play on May 19) and 3 matches before the friendlies for a total of 16 (8 Brasileirão, 6 Libertadores, 2 Copa do Brasil).

That's a lot of football and a lot of travel to the Libertadores and even Copa do Brasil matches, which will mean some really worn out players for camp.

Personally, I expect Weverton and Arana to be called in and I hope Danilo and Raphael Veiga get a shot if there are extra spots.

celito repped this.
  22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No doubt. I have seen some Serbians say that, although they are better, they don't feel they match up well against us because they will be too open. That could be good, but the first game is always cagey so I think they are being too pessimistic. It will be tough, regardless of the match-up.

I want to get through with 9 points of course, but last time we got through with 7 and this time is indeed more difficult in my opinion.

celito repped this.
  23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If they play more attacking / open then yeah ... they will play to our strength. As long as they don't dominate.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Veiga could do OK. But I believe it will be too late for him. Danilo (if you're talking about Palmeiras) has potential ... but isn't ready IMO.

Gabigol's supposed row with Paulo Sousa is probably not gonna look good in Tite's eyes.

Ombak repped this.
  25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When the final convocação is around the corner and we're all waiting for Tite's press-conference, perhaps we should have a "Você convoca" thread to record everyone's guesses. For now though, this is the perfect thread for speculation on the June friendlies list. So here's my guess and my hopes for the 3 match, 16-day window:

List of 26:
    GK: Alisson, Éderson, Wéverton (0 points to anyone for guessing those)
    RB: Dani Alves, Danilo, Émerson
    CD: Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Militão, Gabriel
    LB: Alex Sandro, Arana
    CM: Casemiro, Fabinho, Fred, Bruno Guimarães
    AM: Paquetá, Coutinho
    FWD: Vini Jr., Neymar, Richarlison, Matheus Cunha, Antony, Raphinha, Rodrygo, Martinelli
    In italics the 3 "extra" spots in my eyes. I think Tite still needs to sort out the right-back issue and might call an extra one.

However, as I have said before, I prefer to see more players called up for observation, including an extra left-back, probably Lodi. I would also hope to see Veríssimo. I would be stunned to see a completely new name, but maybe Veiga or another mid like Danilo have a shot. Mostly, I would just be happy to see him call-up 2 to 3 more than the final list of 26.

Anyone expect other names for June? I don't see Firmino, but I could see Jesus... though I hope not. I could see Gabigol but at this stage I think he's out. Anyone expect a new name or someone we haven't seen in a long time?