Seleção General Discussion, 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    brasileiragem repped this.
  2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    IVO ! repped this.
  3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tomorrow is the day names have to be sent to FIFA for players to be available for call-up. The announcement itself will be Thursday or Friday next week. That means there won't really be any new names based on games this week, only decisions about who makes the final list of 26 or so.

Tomorrow Sevilla (Diego Carlos) and Lyon (Paquetá) play. Saturday and Sunday there's a full slate of league games, including clássicos in Brazil like Flamengo (Éverton Ribeiro, Gabigol, Pedro) x Vasco, Atlético Mineiro (Arana) x Cruzeiro and São Paulo x Palmeiras (Danilo, Raphael Veiga).

Then Monday there's Tottenham (Émerson) x Everton (Allan, Richarlison).

I included Danilo up there because he´s the hot topic of the week among Brazilian pundits. He has been speculated before and mentioned by the coaching staff if I'm not mistaken, but a very long shot. I think he'd be a worthwhile call-up/test but the priorities are still full-backs and creative midfielders.

Alex Sandro has missed a couple of matches due to injury and might miss this weekend but should be back for the next. This shouldn't rule him out of the squad but you never know. We could see Alex Telles, Arana and Renan Lodi all called up to fight it out for the second left-back spot.

It's probably the last chance for a good number of players who we haven't seen for a while or who haven't been tried yet, like Veiga, and Diego Carlos, as well as the left-backs, but I could see us testing a new number 9 in June if it's still needed.

Matches this month are vs Chile (Mar 24) and @Bolivia (Mar 29). Chile need points and we'll probably be as close to 100% as possible. The away match at Bolivia could see a lot of changes, but it isn't always a great match to judge players on thanks to the altitude.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As noted, the preliminary list was sent. Reportedly it includes Gabigol, Pedro, Éverton Ribeiro and Nino:
    https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/fute...ino-estao-em-pre-lista-de-tite-na-selecao.htm

Nino was on the Olympic team and is probably there just in case a central defender needs replacement as that position is well-defined already.

Bolivia's list came up and some veterans are not included:
    https://ge.globo.com/futebol/copa-d...-para-ultimas-rodadas-das-eliminatorias.ghtml

That match was already practically a friendly. The one thing Brazil can get out of it is a record number of points in qualifying (if they win against Chile and Bolivia both).

As for this weekend, Bruno Guimarães still hasn't seen a start, Evanílson and Martinelli are scoring and could have an outside shot at the extra forward slot. Danilo has been getting attention, and the expectation for a Veiga call-up is high.

The call-up has officially been set for Friday, March 11.

5. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Glad to see 3 Flamenguistas, although I was pleasantly surprised with Pedro.
    And of course Arascaeta will be called by Uruguay.

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The BAD: Neymar shadow of his old self performance. Marquinhos with a horrible blunder for Madrid's 3rd goal.

The GOOD: Vin Jr. looked lively. Militão solid overall.

Kaka10725 repped this.
  8. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Rodrygo was lively as well IMO.

Ombak and celito repped this.
  9. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Neymar is on a massive decline and I'm close to calling him finished as a player.

celito repped this.
  10. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't know about you guys, but to me, the guy was finished once he left Barcelona. I'd take Vini Jr. over him any day.

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not the biggest Neymar fan, but I think that what's going on now isn't as simple as an on the field decline. I think it's largely psychological as well. There has even been talk about whether he's depressed (which some people dismiss cause he makes so much money, as if that had anything to do with it).

He'll likely be a very different person with the national team, but I do think at this rate he needs to be on the bench and not a guaranteed starter anymore. That could make the psychological issue worse, but the national team environment is good for him overall so maybe he can be ok with that.

12. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What about the problems with Neymar being basically physical? He has had so many foot injuries and at least one surgery if no more.
    With foot injuries I always remember Gabriel Batistuta. There are YouTube videos of him talking about horrible foot pain (so much pain that he once asked his Doctor if he could have his feet amputated) and that he should have taken the time to heal.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Injuries would certainly contribute to a state of mind issue as well. I hope he starts on the bench at least one of these matches. The national team needs to be a low pressure environment for him right now and these two games are meaningless. Make it about taking care of him, not about focusing on him.

Speaking of these two games, the call-up is at 11am local time tomorrow.
    https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...tra-chile-e-bolivia-pelas-eliminatorias.ghtml

The big quote from the article comes from an interview Tite did on TNT sports:
    "manter a espinha dorsal, ... promover resgastes e também dar oportunidades." What does each of those mean? "Manter a espinha dorsal" is clear I think.

"Dar oportunidades" probably means we'll see Veiga, maybe Danilo, but also could mean starts for players who don't usually start, maybe Antony? Maybe Bruno Guimarães or Gérson and probably the full-backs.

"promover resgates" is most unclear. Coutinho has already been "resgatado" but could be part of this. Does it mean Neymar, considering his form? Or Gabriel Jesus? Or even Renato Augusto since they are planning on 26 players for this window and the World Cup? Or does it mean Lodi and Émerson, for example?

My biggest hopes for the call-up would be:
    • Arana back and starting one match
    • Gabriel Jesus out - forwards would be Gabriel Barbosa and Richarlison, and the extra forward would be a winger, like Rodrygo.
    • Bruno Guimarães as an option for Fred's spot
    I wouldn't mind seeing Danilo or a surprise call-up at right or left-back, but it's too hard to predict. Alex Sandro is back to training today, so he might be spared a call-up so some of those full-back opportunities can happen.

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #114 Ombak, Mar 11, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Here's the call-up:

Alisson, Éderson, Wéverton
    Dani Alves, Danilo, Alex Telles, Arana
    Militão, Gabriel, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva
    Arthur, Bruno Guimarães, Casemiro, Fabinho, Fred, Paquetá, Coutinho
    Antony, Martinelli, Neymar, Raphinha, Richarlison, Rodrygo, Vini Jr

25 names, not 26. No extra full-backs and no Veiga.

Arthur is the "resgate", Martinelli the novidade. No one besides Richarlison for the number 9 position which suggests some tactical tests there. No players from Brazil besides Weverton and Arana.

No Jesus and very little mention of him in questions.

celito repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought Arthur was certainly off the radar. Haven't checked how he has been doing lately. I think it's clear that Tite isn't gonna go crazy with testing new players like Veiga.

Ombak repped this.
  16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Arthur had sort of fallen off of my radar recently just cause he wasn't in the conversation among pundits and wasn't on everyone's mind. But he was clearly someone Tite also wanted to "resgatar" back when the Coutinho call-up happened and I mentioned he just needed playing time. Sure enough, he is a regular contributor at Juve right now, between starts and subbing in and Tite has brought him back.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Here it is in a nicer format

[​IMG]

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I can agree with this. He's now 30, he's a bit heavier, and he disappointed against Real Madrid - in the second half. In the first half, he did well, with precise and timely passes. And he's not the only offensive line player who underperformed in the final 45 minutes against Real.

19. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    First half NEYMAR did very well with another assist, precision passing, control of space and extreme maturity. Second the entire PSG went braid dead, I mean conceding 3 goals in 23 minutes !!
    Including a present from the goalie. So frustrating.

Seleção my surprise Arthur, Martinelli and Richarlison.

20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Real Madrid plays tomorrow, there's CL this week (Juventus most notably for this thread - Arthur, Danilo and Alex Sandro - and of course Man Utd vs Atl Madrid), and then league games next weekend. After that it's apresentação time for the team.

Raphinha had an important game for Leeds today with a huge assist for the winning goal.

Fred had a very good match per reports. I didn't watch the whole thing, just highlights, but he was often in a very advanced position, including in the lead up to Ronaldo's first goal.

Martinelli had an assist (corner-kick) for Arsenal.

On the other hand Richarlison and Everton continue to do poorly. I had no doubt he'd be back once he was healthy, but I hope he can find some form in the next two games before the international window.

Bruno Guimarães scored for Newcastle this weekend, though he still needs to find his "entrosamento" with the team.

Meanwhile, Neymar was booed by the Paris fans even as he scored in their win today. Messi and the rest of the team were booed too, only Mbappé was spared.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I watched the ending of 1st half the 2nd half of the PSG game and Neymar lost so many possessions. He has just come back from injury, so there is hope that he is going to improve. But there is literally no motivation for him to play until the end of the season.

There are rumors that he will be free to go in the summer. Not sure if PSG would let him go for free though, but they are clearly fed up (and I am laughing at it to be honest). I have no clue where he'd end up. I could totally see him coming back to Flamengo if not this season the next. But he also said he wants to play in MLS ... the reason given ... they get 3 months of off season. It shows his mindset.

Ombak repped this.
  22. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    #122 brasileiragem, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Bruno Guimarães last game where Newcastle lost to Chelsea 1-0 was great for him as well. He played the entire match and was one of the best players on the pitch. He had many 1-1’s versus Kanté and did well.

Coutinho also got 90’ on the pitch again and Gerrard is using him as a number ‘10’ in that center attacking midfielder place.

I think Coutinho has high chances of getting Paqueta’s spot on the starting XI. And Bruno Guimarães is way ahead Gerson for being Fred’s substitute. I would say that Arthur now has better chances than Gerson. Arthur also played the whole 90’ with Juventus and improved a lot versus his last appearances.

Ombak repped this.
  23. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    In regards to Neymar, what worries me is that he really puts zero effort into defending. In PSG, both Messi, Mbappe and Neymar literally put 0 defending efforts.

I think it’s fine to have the center forward not defending (e.g.: Benzema in Madrid, Cristiano at United). But having the wingers not defending is crazy. That’s why I hope Neymar changes his attitude or he should either (i) go to the bench (Raphinha + Vini Jr as starters) or (ii) be that false number 9.

24. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That is great to hear! I missed that game, only saw the goal.
    I agree. Things change quickly. A lot more quickly than some pundits realize. After all, in January I don't think any pundit in Brazil would bet on Gabriel Jesus being off the team, and now many think he is at risk of not even making the final list. I was predicting that in part because I see Tite being much more quick to adapt right now. But some people think if he isn't calling completely new names he's not making adjustments, which is not true.
    The midfield is a little more crowded now.
    I am still of the opinion that Tite will not settle on one starting line-up and will change with almost every game as needed. Maybe I am being too hopeful, but I think it is just not possible to always start the same way today.

I agree with you that Coutinho could move ahead of Paquetá in a match that requires a more traditional number 10. Maybe Paquetá is the guy who plays when our 3rd midfielder needs to be moving into the number 9 spot more, as he did in some Copa América games and qualifiers (like Chile 0x1 Brasil).

25. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

NEYMAR AT FLAMENGO !! YES YES !!