Seleção General Discussion, 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    With the Libertadores QF this week and European season starting next week, I am returning to the occasional "Radar da Seleção" post. Once ge.com starts their articles again I'll link them as well.

Instead of focusing on individual players, I'm going to highlight some key dates between now and the September call-up, some issues and logistics that I think the coaching staff will be focused on and briefly the remaining key dates after the call-up.

Key dates between now and then:
    • CAS decision about the Brazil x Argentina WCQ: TBD
    July 25 was the deadline for CBF and AFA to submit their cases, but no date for a decision has been reported. The longer it takes for the decision to be made, the less time CBF has to schedule the second friendly and possibly rearrange the first one. There is a real risk that the September camp could be cut short like June was.
    • Libertadores QF: August 2 - 4, Aug 9 - 11
    • Season begins in England, France, Netherlands, Portugal: August 5 - 8
    • Season begins in Spain, Italy: August 12 - 15
    • Copa do Brasil: QF (volta) Aug 17-18, SF (ida) Aug 24-25
    • Champions League draw: August 25
    • Libertadores SF (1st leg): August 30 - September 1
    • Convocação: TBD - September 1st is my guess.
    • Libertadores SF (2nd leg) CL group matchday 1: Sep 6 - 7
    Sometimes the call-up is late (two weeks before matches) so it could happen after the first CL matchday. But recent call-ups were 3 weeks before matches, which is why I am guessing September 1.

After the matches, the big dates are:
    • Preliminary list (55 players) to FIFA: October 21
    • Press conference for official convocação: TBD
    • Deadline for roster submission: November 14
    • Deadline for changes due to COVID or injury: Nov 23 (24hrs before first team match)
    There will be CL and Libertadores in September and October, league matches until November 13, but the only factor in new call-ups at that point will be injuries. Long post, so I'll have a separate one about the squad status and remaining observations.

brasileiragem and manimal repped this.
  2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Radar da seleção going into August:

The squad is pretty much set. Below is the summary and the list of things I think the coaching staff is observing, besides the general performance of individual players.

Roster spots:
    • Goalkeepers 3/3
    • Right-backs 2/2 (5/26)
    • Central defenders 4/4* (9/26)
    • Left-backs 1/2 (10/26)
    • Midfield 6/6 - 2DMs, 2 CMs, 2AMs (16/26)
    • Forwards 7-8/9 (23-24/26)
    This leaves 2 or 3 spots open. Here are some relevant notes for those remaining spots:
    • *Injury: I think the central defenders are chosen, but the staff will monitor Lucas Veríssimo's return. I think he has a chance of making it if he comes back strong.
    • Number of matches played in Brazil: I think this could define the left-back spot. I think Arana is the best choice for the second spot, but his fitness will determine if he goes or not. This could also be relevant for any surprise call-ups like Pedro.
    • Transfers: players like Gabriel Jesus and Richarlison are already doing well in pre-season, but their official matches will be more important. Also, Juventus wants to offload Alex Sandro. I think he would still be Tite's first choice, but if he doesn't get playing time, maybe things change. Also, Antony and Paquetá could move between now and September 1
    • Finding the 9th forward: I think we can easily name 7 or 8 forwards who will be called up. Right now the expectation in Brazil is Pedro will be tested in September, but who knows, we could see an offensive midfielder in that spot, or any number of previously called forwards.
    September call-up:
    • In my ideal world, the Argentina match would be canceled and Brazil would get two friendlies in Europe in September, against Senegal and Mexico, for example.
    • I just hope that the decision is made quickly enough for Juninho to schedule a strong second opponent and that we don't have any issues with scheduling like we did in June.
    • Other than that, seeing 26 + a few backups at right and left-back and midfield and forward would be nice. But as usual I expect we'll see at most 1 or 2 extra players on top of the full roster.
    • It's going to be a huge month of soccer this August, what a way to cap it off with the final convocação before the World Cup!

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Nike website is counting down to a jersey reveal on August 8. The site has a countdown and the slogan "Veste a garra".

The video has a jaguar in the colors of the away jersey that was leaked.

You can see the video on the official site:
    https://www.nike.com.br/sc/futebol-selecao-brasileira

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #379 Ombak, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Finally a clear article about the Brazil x Argentina case at CAS. Unfortunately not much news, and it's a quick read, so I encourage everyone to check it out if interested, but I'll summarize the points here below.

https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/colu...ltimo-jogo-antes-da-copa-vive-indefinicao.htm
    • Both CBF and AFA have asked CAS to cancel the match and to expedite the decision.
    • No team so far has agreed to play Brazil in Brazil during the window ("nenhum adversário se disponibilizou para fazer essa viagem...")
    • CBF are trying to get an agreement with AFA, which would also have to be approved by CONMEBOL and FIFA, to play the match in Europe if CAS do not cancel it.
    • The likely opponent is still an African team, simply because of availability. Costa Rica was discussed but discarded for now.
    Objectively, two matches in Europe against Argentina and an African team would be a productive September. However, considering the lack of desire from either side to face off again, dropping the Argentina match, even in favor of a match against Costa Rica, could be fine.

But it all comes down to how quickly the CAS decision is made and how much time Juninho and his staff have to arrange one or two matches.

EDITING to add the ge post which has been updated more recently:

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...ual-e-aguardam-decisao-ate-26-de-agosto.ghtml

There are three motions that AFA and CBF want heard before August 26.
    • CBF and AFA both arguing FIFA's fines should be voided
    • CBF motion to vacate the match and award points to Brazil
    • AFA motion to vacate the match and award points to Argentina
    Tunisia is one possible opponent now. There were negotiations with Morocco but no agreement

Supposedly CAS has agreed to expedite the case, but it's not clear if that will result in a decision before August 26 or if we have to wait until then.

Century's Best repped this.
  5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, the jerseys leaked today, ahead of Monday's official reveal. The jaguar spots on the away jersey are considerably less prominent than in the previous images, covering only a small portion of the sleeve. The home jersey reminds me of the 1993 (I think) Umbro one with its similar button and collar. Both have the jaguar spots pattern throughout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The keeper jersey is black:
    https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/11/brazil-2022-world-cup-home-kit.html

celito and manimal repped this.
  6. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    I like them

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am now looking for a 4x3 24 inch tube TV to watch the games to lessen the visual impact of these horrible designs.

Ombak repped this.
  8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Quick fire radar da seleção for opening weekend in England, France, Portugal and Holland:

Biggest seleção performance of the weekend was definitely Neymar with 1 goal and 3 assists (1 to Messi). Marquinhos with a strong game and a goal, but keep in mind they were playing one of the minnows of Ligue 1.

Paquetá solid for Lyon, but keep your eyes open for transfer news for him until the very end of the window.

Jesus, Martinelli and Gabriel Magalhães also had a strong opening weekend for Arsenal. So did Bruno Guimarães for Newcastle. Firmino and Fabinho for Liverpool not so much though. Firmino needs a miracle to get back on the national team

Richarlison was suspended for one match from an incident last season, so his first Tottenham match will be next week. Emerson played a solid game though as "ala" and I hold out some tiny hope he could be called up in September.

Thiago Silva was MOTM in a 1x0 win for Chelsea. Fred was poor for Man Utd in their opener (lost at home) and he was targeted as the man to press by opponents. Coutinho's team also lost their opening match.

Antony played a full match and had one assist in Ajax's opening 3x2 win.

Gérson had some conflict with the new coach before the season started, but he was a starter today. Got an average rating but his team won big in their first match (4x1).

In Portugal a couple of guys on the outside hoping for a last chance call. David Neres started for Benfica. Evanilson scored for Porto. Both of them won their opening matches. Lucas Veríssimo is expected back only in late August.

Next week Spain and Italy start. Juve lost 4x0 to Atl. Madrid in a friendly. Matheus Cunha didn't start, but scored one. Alex Sandro, Danilo and Bremer all started.

Barça beat the crap out of Pumas, with Dani Alves being given a farewell by his old team. Raphinha had one assist and played the first half.

Meanwhile Real Madrid did not play a friendly this weekend because they have the European Super Cup on Wednesday against Eintracht Frankfurt.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  10. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    The yellow one is good. Way better than our 2018 one, tho I don't think it's as good as the current jersey.

The blue one isnt nearly as bad as the leaks had suggested. However, I wish the leopard pattern was yellow or white. Just a lot of green on the blue kit. And the socks are terrible.

brasileiragem and Ombak repped this.
  11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I like it all right. 1970 Retro Brazil and 1998 were my favorites. I have that one from the 2002-2006 period with 5 stars and the escudo in the center.

leonidas repped this.
  12. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #388 Ombak, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    There is an article today, from a reputable source, claiming not only that Tite asked CBF to ask FIFA to formally cancel the Argentina game.

https://www.espn.com.br/futebol/sel...-cancelado-selecao-busca-novo-adversario-data

That would be great news. Let's see if any other sources pick this up.

EDIT: The article says that France could host the matches, not that Brazil would play against France as I originally understood.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It does appear to be heading that way. UOL has an article which states that CBF has accepted an agreement proposed both by FIFA and by AFA for the make-up match not to happen. As of this moment (UOL published the article less than 1 hour ago), FIFA has not yet ratified the agreement, but it is expected to do so in the next several hours.

Should this occur, what started as a confusing and frustrating situation which affected the logistics and the final preparations for both national teams en route to this year's World Cup will end and both teams can now focus on their final friendly matches before they begin their quests for the World Cup championship.

Both federations had submitted their cases to the Court for Arbitration of Sport, with a decision expected no later than August 22. But with both federations agreeing not to play and with FIFA's stamp of approval apparently a matter of when rather than if, there won't be a need for arbitration.

I personally approve of this measure, but I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA conditions this decision with an unprecedented THIRD Brazil-Argentina match in 2026 WCQ - assuming the current every team vs. every team remains in place.

Ombak repped this.
  15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Reporter who broke the story is citing Algeria as another possible opponent, and notes that match could be played in Algeria:

Senegal, Ghana and Cameroon were "cited" as well, but that seems to me to be people throwing names around. Cameroon, after all, are in our group, so that would be a no go.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Article about Bremer:
    https://ge.globo.com/futebol/futebo...59810843-667e6557-4728-92b9-45d0-8381924cf3ca

For all the talk of Italy trying to cap him, it's clear he wants to play for Brazil.

Also:
    Sounds like these are the names that appear on the staff's lists (which then get passed on to Tite for him to make his final list). Also, I think we can expect these names to be on the preliminary list of 55. Probably Felipe and Diego Carlos too (I expect up to 10 central defenders on that list).

So Bremer has an outside shot at the September call-up, maybe if Danilo and Alex Sandro make a case for him and he starts well he could be tested. But most likely it would require something special to make it, barring injuries of course.

18. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Bremer is years away from becoming an Italian citizen, even being married to an Italian. Kind of annoying the media keep trying to push the narrative.

Ombak repped this.
  19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ge.com with an optimistic look at the National Team and CBF 100 days away from the World Cup. It's a quick read:

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...ucao-e-situacao-bem-diferente-da-russia.ghtml
    Also note:
    And finally, yes, that's right... the World Cup is 100 days away!

brasileiragem repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    GJ with a 1st half brace in his Emirates day view. 1st goal was a beauty.

manimal and brasileiragem repped this.
  21. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And two more by GJ today. First time in the Premiership player scores more than once in his first home game.
    So good to see our stars peaking at this time.
    99 DAYS UNTIL THE COPA DO MUNDO !!

manimal repped this.
  22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar also good today. Best part is his effort and seriousness. See his second goal and willingness to come to the ball after pressing and making himself available throughout as a simple, but important example.

manimal repped this.
  23. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    manimal repped this.
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mbappe is turning out to be a player with a huge ego. Big mistake not going to Madrid where he would get some structure and a proper chain of command.

Definitely hoping for France to implode in the WC.

manimal repped this.
  25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    French press is reporting that the coach and the director (Galtier and Campos) will meet with Neymar and Mbappé to sort this out.

Whatever the outcome, it's bound to be interesting. But it feels like Neymar has a bit of an advantage in the sense that he's not the one with pressure on his shoulders right now. He and Messi are enjoying their soccer, being productive and they aren't the ones trying to shut others out right now.

Would be ironic if Mbappé is the one who's most harshly impacted, but that can happen when the pressure is on you and what you were trying to do behind the scenes (get rid of Neymar) comes to light at the wrong time.