Seleção General Discussion, 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Ombak, Jan 9, 2022.

1. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Does anyone know why we are not scheduling a friendly against teams from CAF considering that we have Cameroon in our group?

This Mexico is the worst El Tri I’ve ever seen in my life.

Japan and Korea have decent teams, especially Japan - but what are the odds that we face an Asian team in the WC?

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    UEFA teams are difficult to schedule friendly matches with. CBF needs to get whatever it can.

As you probably know, both CBF and AFA talked (not necessarily to each other) about the possibility of converting the mandatory June 11 friendly in Australia into the re-scheduled WCQ match from September 5, 2021. This would have freed the limited time for both national teams to prepare for the World Cup and by doing so, to try to secure one more friendly with a decent opponent.

FIFA didn't permit it.

Well, perhaps because for an African team which will play Brazil in the World Cup's group stage (whoever it is), playing Ecuador or Peru or Chile or Uruguay is no equivalent test to playing against Brazil. Just as having China in 2002 would not have been better prepared for if Brazil had played Vietnam or Mongolia beforehand.

Well, I don't follow Mexico so I can't say. But if they have anywhere halfway decent players and some holdovers from 2018.... Mexico defeated Germany in the group stage. Hey, who knows. Just saying.

Again, scheduling.

You appear to think that a team from a continent represents that continent's soccer as a whole. Does Albania or Andorra represent UEFA? By this logic, playing either one of them would be worth it given it's likely Brazil will face a UEFA team in the knockout stages. But why would such minnows be adequate preparation for facing France or England or Spain?

3. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    #228 pipinogol, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    A few things I'd like to clarify/correct:

At least on what concerns AFA, it isn't true that they asked that to FIFA since AFA wasn't even asked anything about the Australia friendly in the first place. CBF simply went on their own with the company (Pitch or whatever it's called) and scheduled it on that day and in that venue. In AFA they were shocked when the friendly was announced without consulting anything to them. They will now try everything they can to postpone it unless it's legally impossible. They absolutely don't want to go to Australia in June window since they have scheduled 2 games in Europe few days before.

ganapordiego and Ombak repped this.
  4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My understanding is that AFA still has an appeal pending with FIFA. I don't think AFA is going to want to decide anything until that appeal is finalized.

Once the appeal is heard, then we will know for sure if we have to play 2 separate games. For now FIFA definitely wants that.

Regardless, as @pipinogol said, Argentina won't want to fly out to Australia for a June friendly. Yes, AFA and CBF have a contract with the organizing party, but I'm sure scheduling requires the approval of all parties. Whatever AFA wants, it seems clear to me their appeal comes first.

As it stands, CBF needs a backup plan for June. (Or a plan C I guess since this is already the backup plan).

Let's not forget, the call-up will happen in about 3 weeks, the announcement in about 4 (May 19 or 20 I think).

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As I often do I wanted to put a separate summary post for the "radar da seleção" conversation I like to encourage.

The European season is wrapping up. Some of our players don't have relevant matches left. The most notable exceptions are:
    • Liverpool - CL semis and possible final, FA Cup final, and 5 PL matches
    • Man City - CL semis and possible final, 5 PL matches
    • Everton - Richarlison's team has 6 matches to escape relegation.
    • Real Madrid - CL semis and possible final. (They only need 1 point to win La Liga so that is basically a done deal).
    The leagues in Portugal and Holland still aren't wrapped up but it's a question of time. The most relevant seleção stories there are Lucas Veríssimo's recovery and where Antony will go in the Summer.

France is done, PSG won and were booed by their fans.

Teams in Italy have 4 or 5 games left, but unless Artur Cabral gets another shot, only Juventus matters here and they should be able to confirm their CL spot. Because most of their midfield is injured (including Arthur), Danilo has been playing in midfield and is doing well.

Soon it will also be time for transfer speculation to turn into real transfer news. Antony, Raphinha, Richarlison and even Gabriel Jesus (now rumored to be an Arsenal target) are all forwards who could be moving. Wouldn't surprise me to see Paquetá move as well and of course some players in Brazil could move, but I'm not sure any seleção candidates will (maybe players for the future, like Danilo).

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Meanwhile in Brazil, Atlético Mineiro has had the strongest start out of the 3 seleção "suppliers" but drew their most recent match. Flamengo and Palmeiras have had poor starts to the Brasileirão overall but some good matches here and there, particularly Palmeiras in the Libertadores and vs. Corinthians this weekend.

The 3rd group match of the Libertadores is this week for all 3 of these teams and Corinthians.

With all that in mind, here's my brief prediction for the June call-up based on these assumptions:
    • I will be pleasantly surprised if Tite calls more than 26 players, but we know he rarely calls extras, so I'm sticking to 26 here.
    • Some reporters, particularly ge.com, speculate he will use the 3 extra spots for an extra full-back + 2 forwards. Tite however, mentioned using them all for offensive options. Technically a different full-back (like Emerson or Lodi) could be an offensive option, but I am going to use those spots for forwards or offensive midfielders.
    • The press may complain, but if Tite wants players in Brazil he'll call them. I just don't think he many of those are likely.
    Alisson, Ederson, Weverton;
    Danilo, Dani Alves, Alex Sandro, Arana;
    Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Militão, Gabriel;
    Casemiro, Fabinho, Fred, Bruno Guimarães, Paquetá, Coutinho;
    Neymar, Vini Jr., Richarlison, Matheus Cunha, Raphina, Antony;

That's 23. For 26 I think he'll add: Rodrgyo, Gabriel Jesus and either Raphael Veiga or Gérson.

My ideal call-up would include Veríssimo to check on his recovery, Lodi and Émerson for entrosamento in case they are needed later, and an extra mid and forward for the same reason. I would be stunned if any new names show up besides Raphael Veiga and even that would be a surprise.

brasileiragem repped this.
  7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Frankly, I wouldn't mind it the friendly was postponed to sometime in 2023 or canceled altogether. Australia is mad far.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ooooof .... what a game that Man City x Madrid was. Champions League has it going on. Just an obscene high number of great KO round games.

Anyways ... Jesus got the nod today and got an opportunistic goal, but then never got another chance. Which is amazing based on how open the game was. Not his fault though IMO. 3 goals in 3 games vs Madrid for him (in KO rounds too) ... just one of those weird stats.

Vin Jr. with a composed finish after burning Fernandinho and a 50m run. Good to see.

I honestly didn't pay much attention to Militao. He gut megged / burned once by Mahrez ... but the game was so crazy, it would be tough to criticize him much unless he made a bad mistake.

And a Fernandinho anecdote ... watching the game on TNT and B. Formiga was all "elogios" to him when he made Man City's 3rd goal saying it was an injustice that he is burned in Brazil because of a couple of bad performances ... and then he overcommits and gets burned / nutmegged by Vin Jr. ... :ROFLMAO:. B. Formiga had to say it was just a great play by Vin Jr. and not a mistake from Fernandinho.

Ombak repped this.
  9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, Militão certainly didn't have a great game. Even if he didn't have a huge gaffe he made some bad decisions and was in a bad position on the second goal.

Narrative from ESPN on the Vin goal was the complete opposite. Though they praised him for the cross, they said he took a gamble on the steal and got burned the second time.

Rodrygo was rather average today. With Casemiro back next week I suspect Rodrgyo will be on the bench, the midfield will be the standard 3 and Valverde will probably be on the wing to start. Watch Rodrygo come in and make a difference and Real Madrid get to the final after 3 knockout rounds of being outplayed but hanging on.

brasileiragem repped this.
  10. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    You were right, my friend. Another bad performance from Militão. I think Rudiger joining Madrid on summer will give him the competition that he needs to be back to his best.

11. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    Vini goal was beautiful. And City had 2 players on him almost the entire match. This shows how much he’s a threat. If he keeps playing like this (same applies to Jesus), I’m starting to believe in the HEXA.

12. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    WOW, what a match yesterday !
    Just WOW !
    Best champions league ever.
    Golaço by VJ.
    TITE getting a head ache now. Gotta start VJ the way he is playing.

13. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    GJ will be going to Qatar.
    But a lot can happen until November.
    IMG_1355.JPG

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fabinho was very solid today. Alisson was not tested.

Good game to watch, but not in the same way as yesterday, completely different. Very solid defensive discipline by Villareal that Liverpool finally broke with some luck.

Gerson has a semi tomorrow as well, the only selecionável left in the other European tournaments.

Atletico Mineiro had their second draw in the Libertadores, Palmeiras plays tonight and Flamengo tomorrow.

15. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Real Madrid wrapped up La Liga today with only 3 usual starters. Casemiro started as a central defender. Rodrygo started and had two goals.

Marcelo is now the winningest Real player ever with 24 titles.

Vini Jr. came in late and got an assist (to Benzema who also came in late).

They only have two days to prepare for the semi-final second leg against City, who also won today, with Jesus scoring again, making it 3 matches in a row since Easter for the meme.

Atlético Madrid lost so they have to be careful in the alst 4 games to hold on to the last CL spot in Spain.

Fabinho and Bruno Guimarães started today in Newcastle x Liverpool. Liverpool won 1x0 and looks like they thoroughly dominated the match. I don't think we've ever been in a safer position as far as Casemiro back-ups than we are now with Fabinho's form and the option to play both together (or Bruno Guimarães even).

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As of right now, the June friendlies situation is:

June 2, @ South Korea - TBC (not official yet)
    June 6, @ Japan - confirmed!
    June 11, vs. Argentina in Australia - TBC!

It's not great that things are so up in the air only one month away. I'm sure the South Korea friendly will be confirmed eventually. Regardless of the pandemic and the issues trying to get better opposition this is pretty bad by CBF.

The call-up is now 2 to 3 weeks away so I've updated my prediction and don't expect to change anything except for injuries. 26 players, with a few more in the hopes Tite brings in some extras, particularly at full-back.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nnGqvRxCvoFnpsXQ_kZE8--TzjuZXho516M6M5Hf3pw/edit?usp=sharing

Besides the June friendlies, the other big thing on the horizon is transfer talk. A few national team players could be moving this Summer, including Paquetá, Antony, Raphinha and Richarlison. I wouldn't be surprised to see Newcastle pick up one or two new Brazilians.

celito repped this.
  17. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Does playing a friendly against Argentina make any freeken sense ?

And Fabinho scores with a goalie frango who also should have saved the second.
    What’s with the VR goalie today ?
    Too bad.

18. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And a third by Liverpool with this goalie coming way out !
    WTF.

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #244 Ombak, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Brazil and Argentina are obligated to play by contract this year.

The date doesn't matter. If Argentina don't accept the June date it could, in theory, be pushed back again and again until it's December 31st and they have to play or accept whatever penalty the contract stipulates for failing to agree to a match.

Solid goal by Fabinho, It was a frango, but it was also a case of the keeper not knowing whether Fabinho would shoot or pass because Fabinho should never be in that position all alone. Good work by him to move into that open space in a weird situation that allowed him to create something out of nothing.

20. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh ok, didn’t realize it was under a contract.

Yes it was Definately a nice goal by Fabinho and probably one of the most important of his career, and I think it’s his first in five years in champions league play.
    Liverpool Three goals in twelve minutes, WOW.

Ombak repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I said before that Rodrygo probably didn't have a chance ... but damn ... these goals as a sub is probably messing with Tite's head. I am guessing Rodrygo will definitely be on the list of upcoming friendlies.

Casemiro and Militão with not so good performances IMO. Vin Jr. consistent performer even when he doesn't score. Makes defenders work a lot. But a couple of bad shots today that he could have done better.

IVO ! and Ombak repped this.
  22. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Rodrygo made a big difference in the Man City game.

Vinicius showed his youth today. Bad touches, poor decision but I love his energy, the kid does never stops running. Had a good battle with Kyle walker as well.

Militao and Casemiro was great IMO.

IVO ! and Ombak repped this.
  23. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Vini is limited in support. He literally has Benz alone and is marked throughout. Mendy the LB does not have great overlapping ability. He is targetted a lot by teams. With Mbappe coming that will give him space. I thought Vini didn't have much to do given how marked he was. He had to try and dribble his way out. Also he should have won a foul for the Walker foul.

Rodrygo is a baller. Technically sound AF. He'll be useful for Brazil.

Vini and Benz didn't have the best of games. Everyone else did.

Btw is it me or Casemiro is done?

Ombak, brasileiragem and celito repped this.
  24. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I don’t think Casemiro is done. Madrid cannot play Kroos, Modric and Casemiro together anymore. I thought Casemiro presence made Madrid more secure defensively. He has to be smarter with his tactical fouling though. Should of been sent off.

Cosmin10 and Ombak repped this.
  25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Before I forget, holy shit, what a match! I just feel lucky to have watched that.

Casemiro is far from done, I agree. But I did not like his match overall today. I'd say it was average to good, but included two possible yellows of the type somehow he always gets away with.

I also don't think Militão was good until a considerable number of changes had been made. His late 2nd half and over time were good.

Vnin was good in my opinion. Not exceptional, but good certainly. He absolutely suffered on his own (or him and Benzema) for much of the match, but he persisted. He should have done better with at least one of his chances - the cross from Carvajal that fell to his left. Even though he's right-footed he had to at least do better. He also had a first half chance he blasted over the bar with his left foot. On that one I think he should have tried to get the ball on his right foot rather than shoot with his left.

Rodrygo though. What a supersub. In my 26 @celito , he's in, guaranteed, but if you mean 23 players, yeah, Tite would suddenly have a real headache. Not cause of this one time, but because he cannot stop making an impact as a sub.