Seleção 2014-15: Dunga II Begins -- Post Cup, Pre Qualifiers [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Guigs, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who would be the ideal choice as new Seleção manager?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2014.
  1. Felipão

9.1%
  2. Muricy

6.1%
  3. Tite

18.2%
  4. Luxemburgo

9.1%
  5. Guardiola

24.2%
  6. Other Foreign Manager

21.2%
  7. Other Domestic Manager

12.1%
  1. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i followed him at porto and monaco and the world cup qualifiers ..first season in porto he had some times in the bench but he came on and adapted well with the team and turned out to be one of the be these best players in portugal..we he moved to monaco he barely played in the beginning of the season due to problems with the coach but he was given the chance he played great..after falcao got injured he became the main man in monaco and helped the team finish 2nd he finished with 9 goals and 12 assists. also ask anyone who watched the qualifiers He was a beast out there for colombia and hustled in every game. it was no surprise to many south americans that he was going to shine in the world cup.

Deep Pal and Guigs repped this.
  2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    I know this is a bit off topic, but how do Colombians feel about Montoya?

3. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    dude i think i posted on the vasco do gama thread asking on how he played because i didn't get to see him play or heard any news online . to be honest me, my dad, and a few colombians in this site know about him.. my dad showed me highlights of the kid and was really impressed he minds me of James Rodriguez but unfortunately he doesn't get any coverage or shine in colombia or maybe I'm wrong..well how is he doing? did he get more playing time? is he in the starting eleven?
    thanks

4. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    ah ok you're the one that asked about him a while ago.. no he's doing worse actually, they are thinking of sending him out on a loan since they own his right 100%. He hasn't been able to break into a Vasco da Gama second division squad. He gained weight and lost speed, so Vasco stopped the weight training and he regained the speed but he just seems not confident, he gets a chance and doesn't take anybody on...

I wanted to see him just taking players on, and seeing what he could create. But.. oh well... hopefully after the loan he'll do better.

jay luis repped this.
  5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You act like i'm in the brazil bubble Guigs when i'm not, up until 4 or 5 months ago I couldn't understand wtf the portugues announcers are saying. My criticism of your talent evaluation stems farther then those two players. I like out of the box thinking but you really aren't as consistent as you think. You've contradicted yourself 2 or 3 times this thread already.

6. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Please quote my contradictions, I would love to see them =D

7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When have I compared Felipe Bastos with Iniesta lol ? I can't even have a debate with you at this point Guigs because you are so erratic and will carry it on for days. You are right about everything being about the result but I give players props even if their teams suck so I don't know where you are going with that. Look at my state championship spots I made and everyone of them is on a bigger team now. Why is Paulinho from Ituano better than Felipe bastos? He played for Ituano then Nautico... Surely Nautico isn't better than Vasco right? Yet Paulinho has performed and Bastos hasn't.

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you weren't writing 5 to 7 paragraphs at a time and using Dan Lebatard as a reference point I would. Vasco plays on Tuesday, we'll have plenty of time this summer. I'll start keeping a quote thread in the NSA so i don't forget the epic suggestions of Romulo and predictions of Luan..........

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    that was an over exaggeration to get the point across. But when anybody compares teams in Brazil vs team in Europe they never compare it fairly, they never compare vs Arsenal, Napoli, Fiorentina, Osasuna, Wolfsburg, Montpellier etc..

it's always comparing to.. Barcelona, Bayern, Real... how is that realistic?

When I say Bastos is doing what he's supposed to do he occupies spaces in the midfield (like the Selecao didn't have somebody simply standing there) and guess what! that helps the team tremendously!! He's what he is, means he's what he is, he's not a player that shouldn't play professionally, a player like that doesn't make it to Serie A teams and to Selecao base divisions up until the age of 17...

10. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Romulo got hurt, unfair to say he's a flop or a disappointment
    Luan is the real deal, I was skeptical about him up until he actually started getting play time

11. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    we're derailing the thread, let's leave those conversations to the Vasco thread. But I welcome any quotes from this thread where I contradicted myself.

12. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I liked Romulo too but at the time you suggested him it was redicoulis considering he is far from a finished product. Luan.. just no

13. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The big problem at this stage is that Brazil will have to start testing some new players. With the renewal, we're bound to lose a few matches and maybe even the Copa America in the process. Putting in an inexperienced coach at this stage is almost unfair. He'll be fried by the media before he really has a chance. I think CBF will probably go with a bigger name such as Tite or Muricy, which is unfortunate, because I really don't like either.

14. PMLF

PMLF Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Rio de Janeiro, Bra
    Either that or they will sacrifice Gallo until they hire someone more permanent like the two you mentioned.

15. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    #65 Ribo_2006, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Did Scolari over-achieve with such an ordinary side (by Brazil's standards)?
    Are people being harsh because the 7-1 loss was too humilating? Had it been 1-0 Germany, would Scolari be getting as much criticism?

Was Scolari's preparation all wrong?
    Bad squad selections/call up's?
    Poor organisation?

Did Scolari get his tactic's all wrong?
    Any people feel Brazil could of played alot more traditonally with a different approach?

Perhaps some of you belive he should stay, their isn't any outstanding manager in the brazilian pool, and would rather have stability then another chop and change decision.

Any of you up for a foriegn manager for the first time ever?

For my two cent's, i think the semi final's was the minimum the host's should of reached. Scolari managed that and for this i think any sacking would be ill-advised and a knee jerk reaction. Let's be honest, most people outside of Brazil expected to see them lose, regardless if Silva and Neymar had played, but not by a 7-1 margin. I understand it was a massive hummiliation, but Scolari should not take all the blame by any mean's what so ever. Always easy to blame the coach when the chips are down.

It wasn't Scolari's fault Silva got himself foolishly banned from the semi's, and Neymar was injured.

Perhap's people would want the majority of this side to never recieve a cap again after saturdays 3rd place tie?

16. PMLF

PMLF Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Rio de Janeiro, Bra
    Bar a miracle, Scolari is already leaving after the World Cup as that's when his current contract ends. I don't think he is one of the best Brazilian managers, he was the main reason Palmeiras were relegated to second division in 2012 and he is too much of a motivator with little tactical skills and an outdated mentality.

Scolari shouldn't take all the blame for the 1-7 fiasco and the general poor performance in the World Cup, those above him like Brazil FA president Marin are even more to blame.

But Scolari's role was still big as he got too comfortable with the Confederations Cup title and didn't bother making changes even when players were clearly underperforming. Scolari and Parreira also were too overconfident and that overconfidence contaminated the squad. Once confronted with reality (Brazil not as good as they were told), the players fell apart.

Scolari is indirectly blamed for both Thiago Silva's and Neymar's situation as he made Brazil confuse garra (something like passion) with violence. That lead Thiago Silva to get too many cards and lead the Colombians to react to Brazil's violence, harming Neymar in the way.

As for never giving caps to those players again, that would be too harsh, although many probably won't be capped again because of their age.

I think Tite (ex-Corinthians) will be the best option although far from ideal. I wouldn't like a foreign manager as they don't know how things work here, don't know the domestic game, how to handle press here and would be easily scapegoated in case of defeats.

17. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think this is 1 of the worst managerial performances of all time...

Everything from Selection to Tactics were absolutely horrible.

Picking players who 75% of them had a horrible/average season was the dumbest thing ever. The whole idea of international management should always be based on current/season form. Things change over a year, a year in football since the confederations cup is huge.

I watched Brazil play against Russia in a friendly a year back, i was seated during the whole game and i think i had just as much movement as Fred did during the game. Anybody with any knowledge could see this guy is not up to being a striker for the NT, i don't care of his goal record with Flu. I would even take overweight Walter over a player who refuses to offer anything during the game, hoping some magic from somebody else leads to a goal.

There are so many examples of players performing badly for their clubs, yet the manager not taking that into consideration. He ignored the fact Bernard was being benched behind other Brasilians, which is just totally arrogant and suggesting the Shakhtar coach must not know football.

Oscar was horrible last half season with Chelsea, people blamed fatigue which was probably the cause but Mourinho didn't trust him to be a regular starter. Why should you play for the NT if you can't be a starter for your club?

He picked his selections like he was the manager of Costa Rica (No disrespect), but in a sense that they have limited players in the top leagues so like Costa Rica he has to go with past performances for the NT.

I could go on and on about selections, but i'll just sum them up quickly. Luiz Gustavo (Not needed by Bayern, a 22 year old from Spain replaced him), Maicon (Released by Man City, yes he had a good season for Roma who were not even in CL, top level competition) Paulinho (Hardly started for a Tottenham team which got beaten regularly by 4 or 5 goals by the top teams in the PL), Hulk (Playing him as a RW, when he has never excelled in that position for Zenit), Fred (Bood by his own fans this year?) .... The list could definitely continue.

Now on to tactics, the negativity has to stop. The idea that Brasil has to play with 2 DM's just doesn't fly anymore. How can you expect top results without somebody that can control the game with his passing?

Your a recipe for disaster if you set your team up defensively yet they have been bought up on attacking instincts, you have to play to their strengths. Brasil has to play 'Jogo Bonito', not because they should entertain and lose but because they need to dominate the ball, they need to express themselves to get on top of teams. This has been missing from the NT for a long time and people need to realize it's very important for success that they change their style.

Scolari has to take the fall, the CBF is a different issue. There is enough talent around to ensure a disaster like this shouldn't occur.

Jiripoca and Deep Pal repped this.
  18. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I dont get the sensacional overeaction on D Luiz. Dude has been the Selecao's best consistent performer not named Neymar. MVP of the Confed Cup, and up until the last game, played as well as Neymar for a squad that was praised on it's defense. One resultado zebra and a large % of the fans turn their back on him. Just like they did to an 19-20 year old Neymar after the Copa America, absolutely destroying him.

Not only that, but DL always gives it his all, and he is one of the most likeable players off the field in futebol. The guy is 27 years old, he will be the starter in Russia.

Renato Goulart repped this.
  19. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
  20. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Again though, time constraints made him select the confederation cup as his based. I can't fault him for that. After a Brazil defeat, it always the player selection that get blamed but you have to put things in perspective. Yes, the likes of Felipe Luis, Miranda, etc. should of been selected but they might have never seen a minute in this tournament. Name me one coach who would of displace Marcelo for Felipe Luis after Marcelo has been one of Brazil standout players in the last 4 years. Miranda would of been 4th choice at best.

21. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would draw a line on the 31 years old border and not even look at anything above it, except maybe Thiago Silva. Hopefully Neymar and Oscar can give us what Ronaldo and Rivaldo gave us in 2002. I think David Luiz will be a big name, especially in the leadership factor. Besides these 3, there are only about 4 or 5 that have a chance, but it will depend on how they develop from here on. I really hope we can find something better than Marcelo, Hulk, and Jô from now until then.

22. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Why is Luan just no? he's 21 years old and just started his professional career this year

23. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Unfortunately, I dont see Marcelo having the desire to maintain what is required physically to be a top performing for 4 more years.

Deep Pal repped this.
  24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Let's see when he comes back to Club, people are forgetting where he plays.

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany