Section 8 and YSA: One of These Must Go

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by kebzach, Aug 26, 2002.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Posted by Marcin in the N.E. game thread:

And as such, it bears repeating:

Drop the chant. Get a clue.

2. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I think it's well worth noting that I'm not sure even a small percentage of the regular perpetrators nowadays are even infrequent visitors to the boards.

Not that it shouldn't be stated here and elsewhere, but maybe it isn't the most efficient way to get the message across. I'm at a loss for a better one than has already been tried.

It could be (and it's gradually happened over the course of this season) that this might have to be just a natural thing that dies out. It's not going to come to a dead stop one game. Less and less people are participating in it every week and it may well just play itself out. Maybe one solution is to let it do just that (based on other events it's likely any sort of iron-fisted reaction will only encourage it and dredge up the issue again)

3. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    the only time i've done it this season when no one else really was was against KC...just because i hate meola. but i realized no one else was doing it, felt really stupid, and stopped....it does have to go. as does the wave, but that's just me talking.

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

wave doesn't really bother me, i can understand people's problems but i still think it's a nice way to get the crowd going... ESPECIALLY some of the ones in the area around section 8 that aren't joining in but just need a nudge

5. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    my complaint about the wave is that it distracts people from the game...plus, it's just kinda cliche. as much as i hate using that word. i dont know. it just rubs me the wrong way.

6. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wave must DIE!!!! One of our finest Chicago traditions has been that we're the "anti-wave." Let those whose Ritalin isn't working very well and can't have their attention held by a game go off into their own corner and do the wave. Leave the rest of us alone!

(Thank you for the inexpensive therapy).

7. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

THANK YOU

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    huh, i generally miss half the game when i'm in section 8 anyways... the wave requires even less attention, see and hear people start it, you join in when it comes to you

simple?

yeah

what do we do taht isn't?

nothing

9. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm not a big fan of the wave, but if it's got to happen I wish we'd start 2-3 at a time. It's kind of boring waiting for the thing to go all the way around, doing it twice gets people to cheer more.

I still don't like it though.

10. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    No wave, please! I hate the wave.

11. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    people may like or dis-like the wave, but it's not causing the Fire (and it's fans) potential problems as a result of it's use.

12. Cougar Jim

Cougar Jim New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Chicago
    If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was me talking. Glad to know I'm not in a minority of one.

BAN THE WAVE!!!!!

13. Just to make a clarification:

this is an official word from the front office of the Fire. They get complaints EVERY DAY about the YSA chant and I was told that it has been the subject that recently far surpassed the previous most inquired subject which was when we would get a hispanic player.

As far as the wave is concerned, my opinion on this is that it should not be done during the game. I think the ideal time for it is between the player introducions and the beginning of the game when there is nothing to watch and some time to kill. Also, this is the time when the wave is done at many stadiums in Europe.

I like and dislike the wave at the same time. I hate doing it but it gets people from other sections involved. It may also distract the players of the opposite team :) .

14. NCFire

NCFire Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    I can't recall, after 3 years of attending games, the Fire doing anything the least bit positive while the wave was going on. I can remember giving up a few goals during the wave but am reasonably sure we've never scored one. Causal link: tenuous at best. Correlation: too high to ignore. Ban the Wave.

15. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    On the wave, yeah, it's cheesy, but as others have pointed out, it's one of the few times we get the rest of the stadium involved. I was really disappointed with even the outlying areas of 8/9 on Saturday. PW suggested infiltrating those parts of the section with our own, in order to get everybody behind the goal standing and making noise. Or complaining, I guess. We'll see.

As for YSA, I have the same mixed feelings I've always had. On the one hand, it's relatively mild as far as swearing goes, on the other, I know people are complaining and that the Fire takes it seriously. On the *other* other hand, if the games are selling out, it should be a non-issue. And finally, I think it only went on 2 out of 6 goal kicks in the first half, so that's at least progress, and the Fire needs to recognize that.

Maybe we need PW to get up on "The Nest," as UltraCinek has dubbed it, at the beginning of whichever half has the visitors defending our goal, with a large sign that simply says, "Please, PLEASE, don't swear on goal kicks. The Fire would greatly appreciate your cooperation." No threats, no hard lines, and someone from the Fire right there to address any concerns.

Later,
    COZ

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    not the worst idea by any stretch.

17. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    i think good 'ole PW should get up there for the announcement and stay to lead the cheers. :)

i think i would enjoy that.

18. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the best example of this was against DC on 8/7, but YSA was combated by starting a different chant during a goal kick situation, and that seemed to work well. Maybe that's been attempted all along, but it seemed to work best (and be most apparent) on that particular day.

19. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    Glenwood's right

I agree, I've noticed it a couple times the last few games, if a chant is started when the goalie puts the ball down, you drowned out anyone who tries to yell YSA. But then again the though of PW getting up there with a sign politely asking it to stop (as mentioned earlier) is a great idea.

As for "On the *other* other hand, if the games are selling
    out, it should be a non-issue." Yes but how many people were insulted the first few games who didn't come back? Seems some people would be happier to gather at CS or wherever to chant and sing what they like then to "conform" and be ambassadors of the game. It's been said enough but ALWAYS warrants repeating when this topic is brought up. Without support the Fire won't be around long and I'm not talking 20 people who insist on cursing at games. I'm talking about the 14,980 others who come to enjoy a family friendly atmosphere.

20. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i've only managed to make it to one home game since san jose... that was the metrostars blow out

YSA seemed to be completely dead at that game, maybe it was the 3pm start that killed it, but the only thing it seemed like on the goal kicks was a couple of bleacher bums yelling something out at a right fielder... not a group of people doing it in unison... hell, the 4-5 guys doing it were NOT in unison in the slightest

and i think there is a good point there, it can't be that much of a problem if the place is selling out... the YSA thing is dead, it no longer hurts business (if it ever did, but i won't get into that)

i can understand wanting to keep it on people's minds for things not to do, but i find any sort of problems it's causing to be bogus

but if PW does the sign thing, i think he should wear an angel's halo and wings... crack people up at the same time

21. I agree, the more and more we go to games, the more we see that much of the fan base for the Fire is becoming (or was already?) families with young kids. Especially since the Fire does the half-time peewee games and specially recognizes youth teams--all of those kids' families are there. If we want to keep these families coming, we can't impose profanity on them and their kids. I don't even like having YSA imposed on me, and I'm an adult, I hear cussing all the time. We sat in Section 15 on Saturday and I noticed that there were a ton of kids in section 9. I remember cringing for them, thinking that YSA might be coming their way in the next hour or two, and they were completely unsuspecting, just waving their cheer stix.

22. Oops! Should have included this quote in my post. I was replying to and agreeing with Wolves.

23. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    IMHO, the YSA chant wasn't present all the time on Saturday night, but on the 2-4 occassions it was used, it did indeed have some vocal support for it.

I.E., I can see how the Fire would make a special note to say something to Marcin about it.

If it was dead at one point, then it was also alive and well on Saturday night too.

24. Oh, yes, this is by all means "The Nest."

See, we are really trying to start up new songs before the goal kick but sometimes it does not work. It worked better during the last Wednesday game, worse during the Wednesday game two games ago and last Saturday game. It is quite hard to get people so involved that they forget about the YSA chant.

I am going to try to remember to start up the wave before the game begins next time, if I remember. Believe me, though, that I am rather against it. I only want it to exist so other sections are involved, too, because I thing they are much deader than when we were at Soldier Field.

Marcin

25. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard it once during the KC game on the 14th. It seemed weak compared to the other chants.