Secret Service investigates high school kids for singing 42 year old Dylan song

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Repped.

Without, unless it's an adjective, as in "Ian probably tried to beat up a high school kid in the past, but, realizing he'd bitten off more than he could chew, called on some of his red-necked pals. They held her down while he escaped".

2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Uhh, threatening the President of the United States is a crime.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Tell that to Jesse Helms.

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    But only you is 100% sure that they did......Do they just let you out on weekends?

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The only 'evidence' you've produced that the they threatened the President is that they called themselves the Taliband. Yet you want to beat the crap out of them. I know who I think is a punk, and it ain't the Taliband.

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so you think they were a threat to the president's life? If not, they weren't threatening him.

Unless you can tell me what they said, or where alleged to have said, you don't have a leg to stand on. Saying that they hope the president dies is not a threat. Even if they stood there shouting "Die Bush Die!" that is not a threat either. Unless they were saying they were going to kill Bush, or were encouraging others to kill him, they didn't threaten in any way. It may have been in bad taste, but I guess you know how to beat respect into 'em eh?

For the record, when Tony Blair was in hospital recently for an operation, a sleazy night-club owner addressed a group of young conservatives and part of his speech had the call "Die Tony Die" in it. While it was reported that it was in incredibly bad taste, there were no calls for him to be arrested and nobody thought it was their moral duty to beat him up (even if he does have the kind of face that you'd really like to hit - google peter stringfellow). I guess we don't share your moral outrage. Then again, the way you prize it, I don't think you want to share it either.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a related story, the Secret Service is now investigating every punk band from the 80's.... :rolleyes:

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Lighten up, Ian. Context is everything in free speech. If, for example, a young anti-Bush partisan cries out to his friends, "I hope Bush dies," would that be considered a threat? I think not. It may be an immature and certainly an obnoxious statement, and I wouldn't want my kid to say it, but that is exactly what the First Amendment was intended to protect.

9. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did the mitochondrial DNA test and found out my mom's mom's mom's mom's mom's mom's mom's mom (or something like that) is from the Turkana in Kenya.

Then I did the Biogeographical ancestry test and found out I was mainly black and Native American. Which is interesting since that is the primary makeup of my adopted family as well. So the Turkana thing runs, likely, as fully true, on one side - my biological mother's side - as it can.

So maybe I'll see you there at some point; right now, many in the Turkana are getting by mainly on blood and milk. Laurel and I are already working to change this reality, but there's nothing like being on the ground.

10. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the crazy things said in this thread, I think I disagree with this statement the most. Brilliant, brilliant song.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it's a brilliant, brilliant song, but this is Dylan we're talking about here. In order for it to be one of his best, it has to be brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. :D

12. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Oh, don't get me wrong -- the lyrics are fabulous, and perhaps some of his best. The tune and chord structure are monotonous, though, and not even in a way that could be perceived as allegorical for the "drumbeat of war" or some such concept.

And I agree with Superdave. To live up to the likes of "Blowin in the wind", "Maggie's Farm", "Don't think twice (it's alright)", "Sad-eyed lady of the lowlands" and "Tangled up in blue" is a tall order indeed.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is irony in a band wanting to call itself 'The Taliband' asking for freedom of expression.

I think 'The Taliband' would be better off singing 'Everybody Must Get Stoned'.

:D