Secret Service investigates high school kids for singing 42 year old Dylan song

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 13, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/print?id=247437

See, y'all, when Lastort and others, even me, are deeply concerned and checking foreign nations' rules for work permits, we're not crazy. We're far-sighted.

I, personally, think it's unlikely that the craziest elements of the Republican party will emerge triumphant in the next 4 years.

But it's not impossible. It's not impossible.

2. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland

That's why there are THREE branches of government, not one. See, it's like rock, scissors, paper. Checks and balances. What's crazy, is your side truly thinks he is so evil (please give an example) that you would move.

There is a group offering FREE one-way tickets abroad in exchange for a promise that you will never come back. Maybe some of you should check it out.

That's right, we're too busy saying Bush is a Nazi to understand.

3. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on over, the weather's...well, the weather sucks, but the transnational internal market is the best.

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The 1963 song ends with the lyrics: "You might say that I'm young. You might say I'm unlearned, but there's one thing I know, though I'm younger than you, even Jesus would never forgive what you do ... And I hope that you die and your death'll come soon. I will follow your casket in the pale afternoon. And I'll watch while you're lowered down to your deathbed. And I'll stand o'er your grave 'til I'm sure that you're dead."

'We Were Just Singing'

So they say...! That's a threat to George II if I ever heard one.

A year or so in the political camp at Guantanimo will clear their nasty little unlearned minds. We'll learn 'em!!!

5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    A vietnam vet gave a speach at Bellingham High School for Veterans day. His theme was "Honor the vet and thank him but do not honor war"

Silly bugger has his arse in a sling now...!!!

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The song is about war profiteers.

I think you're being facetious, but I just want to make it clear that for the Bushies to be taking the performance this way is the Tell Tale Heart all over again.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I go, I'm going to Kenya, where my wife's from. The weather there does not suck.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody has a ****ing sense of humor any more.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The left, which has spent the last 30 years stifling free expression in this country in the name of political correctness, has one whole hell of a lot of gall complaining about something like this.

May I also point out, not to divert from your self-righteous outrage here, that nobody has been charged, arrested, convicted or punished in any way. It's sort of a long ways from "the Secret service is looking into this" and "OH MY GO THEY'RE DRAGGING SCHOOL CHILDREN OFF TO BERGEN_BELSEN"

If you guys pooled your spare chaneg, maybe you couold buy a clue.

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh the times they are a changing. :D

11. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But some students and adults who heard the band rehearse called a radio talk show Thursday morning, saying the song the band sang ended with a call for President Bush to die.

Threatening the president is a federal crime, so the Secret Service was called to the school to investigate.

Students in the band said they're just singing the lyrics and not inciting anyone to do anything.

The students told KMGH they never threatened the president and never changed the lyrics to the song.

I believe 100% that the band DID change the lyrics and threatened the President. Who's more likely lying here, the students and adults who called the Secret Service to investigate or the band of sniveling leftist losers? Why would people call the Secret Service if the band was only playing a Dylan song straight up? Think about it. There is now no question in my mind that they changed the lyrics after reading the article. The Secret Service is doing their job, they are investigating a threat. Some of you clowns need to stop pretending you're the victims all the time.

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I can just see you in Germany in the 30's...wanna burn some books...?

You may indeed and in fact you did. May I also point out that at the moment it's just the intimidation factor, scaring kids into complying and this intimidation is not silly left wing PC correctness, it's right wing fascism.

And if you learnt to spell I'd understand your rantings better ....Sieg Heil...!

OK, the last one was a cheap shot at a typo...

13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I believe 100% that you don't don't know a bloody thing. (or send a link.) I believe that you'd believe anything true or false if it suited your ends.
    I believe that your government is as likely to lie as any children (Or more)

So one one hand we have "Sniveling Losers" (Funny 'cos that's how you are perceived on this board) and a bunch of fascist pigs. Who's telling the truth..???
    I will agree....that the secret sevice is doing their job and that's the scary part.

Not you. You're the one with the fright wig and the big red nose
    [​IMG]

14. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why on earth would people listening to a band at a fricking high school concert make up the fact that a band changed the lyrics to threaten the president? They have no reason to lie, the band has every reason to lie. This doesn't pass the smell test. Of course, the liberals here are not intuitive enough to separate truth from fiction.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article, which you, apparently, didn't read.

Whom would you believe, a principal who was there, or a bunch of parents who weren't there?

Ian, it's pretty clear what happened here. The kids sang the Dylan song (which, let me repeat, is a protest song against war profiteers) and a bunch of paranoid rightwing freaks assumed it was about Bush. Occam's Razor and all that.

16. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    I'm sure they didn't change the lyrics; they're damning enough as it is. But I certainly hope they did something to the tune. It's not one of Dylan's best.

However, for the sake of those poor, poor corporations that were targeted, those children should certainly pay. It warms my heart to see so many folks on this board run to the rescue of our brave government contractors in this time of cynicism and contempt. If only those children had that much of a conscience...

17. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let me answer, please. I don't believe the principal. Why are you trying to imply that no adults were there? It says plainly:

"But some students and adults who heard the band rehearse called a radio talk show Thursday morning, saying the song the band sang ended with a call for President Bush to die."

Oh, and let me point out one more quote for those who may not have read the article:

The band had at one point considered calling itself The TaliBand, but the students decided against it after discussing with Vacca whether the name would be offensive to some people, she said.

Any band that considered calling themselves the TALIBAND is perfectly capable of changing lyrics to threaten the president. No, I'm guaranteeing they did. They didn't know if TALIBAND would be offensive to some people? I repeat: These band kids are leftist puke morons. I wouldn't have necessarily called the Secret Service on them, but I would've beat the crap out of them given the chance.

18. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Go get 'em, tiger! The fate of our country depends on brave message board posters like you.

19. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Can anyone think of any reason why people in Boulder, CO might be a little touchy when it comes to high school kids inciting violence in any way?

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what you're getting at...but that was in Littleton, a Denver suburb.

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I don't think you'd recognize the TRUTH if it bit you on your cute ample arse....!

You seem to think "truth" is a convenience for your silly posts.

22. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Go back to your PF.

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    He's become enboldened by the burning of the Reichstag.
    I'll bet he goes to his AA meetings in a brown shirt and boots.

On an aside. Sometimes it's hard to separate the person from the avitar. Don't ever change yours and don't ever let me see you dressed like that.... :)

24. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so you agree that calling the secret service to investigate them was over the top and ridiculous then? Good. Case closed. Nothing more to discuss here.

Nice to hear that beating up people who've committed no crime sits comfortably with right-wingers. Tell me, is "red-neck" spelled with a hyphen or without one?

25. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States