Secondary issues about Beckham's signing

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLS Detroit, Jan 11, 2007.

1. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, too, am very excited about the Beckham announcement. This is the biggest moment in the history of our league. The media attention and financial windfall will be unprecedented. Despite this, there are some secondary issues that in time, must be addressed:

Will Beckham's arrival raise the quality of play in MLS?

Yes, but not that much. MLS is still a developmental league in the eyes of the soccer world and it will still be regarded that way after the excitement has died down. One player does not a league make. I would still declare that Christian Gomez, Jaime Moreno, and DeRo are better all-around players than Becks.

Will the Galaxy cruise to the 2007 MLS title now that they have Beckham?

Absolutely not! Even with Becks, I would still only view the Galaxy as a mid-table club, definitely behind DC, Houston, and Dallas.

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Quality of play and the image of the league are two separate issues.

3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's very true, but they also go hand in hand.

As the image/perception of the league abroad increases, more players will consider going here (i'm not talking super star level players, but people who might considering a 2nd tier european league, or mexico for example), which will in turn raise the quality of play.

Obviously the league will have to have some sort of system in place to allow the wages to be paid, without breaking the bank or wreaking havok on the "have nots" of the league...

But I think that's a ways off, at least if MLS takes the baby steps they have in the past.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

They should, but they don't. Talented players have entered MLS and don't change the perception of the league.

5. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a huge mistake for MLS. MLS was doing the right thing building its brand and making its mark slowly and methodically. The Beckham signing makes the LA Galaxy a roadshow much like the NY Cosmos were. If you look at the economics of the old NASL the reason many of the franchises went under during the late 70's and early 80's is they outspent their net worth. Someone at MLS needs to remind themselves that the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc did not move to their current "Big 3 1/2" status until they were around for upwards of 40 years in most cases. Moon shots like signing Becks do nothing to actually help the quality of play and the quality of the league as a whole but actually make MLS a laughing stock to the continental leagues and deligitamizes its already minute hold it has in the US sporting conscious.

6. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benefits:

1) In addition to up'ing MLS's status in the American media, it also significantly increases MLS's ability to recruit soccer talent from Central and South America. MLS is now the league of David Beckham, and possibly Ronaldo...What young El Salvadorian or Guatemalan talent would turn down the chance to play alongside those players who are still not past their prime.

2) ESPN and Univision, for the first time, paid for the rights to air MLS matches this upcoming season. In ESPN's own words, they said they're going to give MLS, the "TNT Treatment", in reference to the hype that TNT generates for their NBA games. Now, ESPN has David Beckham (and possibly Ronaldo), not just Carlos Ruiz or Pat Noonan, to generate that hype.

Negatives:
    Beckham is not the type of player/athlete that will wow Joe 6-pack and change his impression of soccer as a sport on par with the NBA and NFL. Ronaldinho, Henry, and Zidane are the type of player that show what makes soccer such a beautiful sport. One has to be an educated soccer fan or 13 year old girl to appreciate Beckham.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

It's not worth trying to change peoples minds, but this is just flat out wrong in my opinion. Come on now, you are going to slide Beckham out of the England team and replace him with Jaime Moreno and they get better?

As a United fan, I have followed the guys career from the beginning. He adds a lot beyond the obvious. He has a great awareness of the game and will find the best option every time -- not just crossing the ball.

He also defends more than people give him credit for. Take a look at the three primary teams he has played for, and what has happened when he is out of the line up. Man United went from an incredible run to a team chasing Arsenal and then Chelsea, all the while looking for a midfielder who could consistently provide service.

How has England done since they dropped him?

In addition, RM is not exactly tearing up La Liga since they have moved away from him.

Jaime Moreno couldn't hold a place at Middlesboro, and would have likely headed back over with a decent opportunity that never came. DeRo and Gomez are good solid players, but they are not up there with the elite of the world.

I have a theory about Beckham. If he looked and dressed like Stuart Pearce and played exactly the same as he has over the years, he would be held in much higher regard for his play, but be less of a celebrity.

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree with most of this post but, as Ian Plenderleith in the Guardian states "he won't dominate games, but he'll produce the kind of highlight moments that can be easily packaged to a sporting audience that loves short, sharp thrills."
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/01/11/la_story_just_right_for_beckha.html

I think this is part of his true worth. There is no one in soccer other than Beckham who SportsCenter will broadcast consistantly and each bending freekick (and for the money they are paying him, there better be a whole lot of them) or curling cross to the elongated head of ('cringe') Nate the Tall, will make the highlights.

With ABC/ESPN's new tv deal with MLS, they are practically forced to give more coverage to MLS, and what better way than to show Beckham free kicks. When will we tire of the ESPN guys saying "Bend it Like Beckham" with every free kick? If he is coming in July-August, I put the over/under around Labor Day.

9. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats the most signifigant part about this whole signing.

It may very well become Chic to play in MLS now for someone that considered it but because of image issues decided against it.

10. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais
    Another fallout effect, tied to that $250M figure, may be a long-range plus for youth development.

DB's contract dwarfs anything seen in American sports. Bigger than Tigger, MJ (or any of the current National Brawlers Association's thugs), Reggie Bush/Vince Young combined, or the MLB steroid factory.

Yeah, there's a BIG disparity between bottom salaries in those leagues and MLS, but it puts kids in the US on notice that if you're at the top level in soccer (at least in recognition) then your payoff is that much bigger than anything even Steinbrenner is willing to pony up.

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Someone asked Peter Wilt about the signing over at the Fire board. He said -- and I completely agree -- the biggest thing this will do is to bring more and better players over here as well.

The NASL was around for roughly the same amount of time as MLS at the time the Cosmos brought in Pele. I would have loved to see the reaction on Big Soccer if there was one at the time. :D

Before him there were no real name players. After him, there was Beckenbauer, Chinaglia, Best, Margetic, Steffenhagen etc. Before anyone panics -- "Oh no, we are going down the same path as NASL" -- we are not.

First, the league recognizes those pitfalls and has put in place a framework where a team can have at most two of these players. Second, every owner in this league could buy and sell the old NASL owners several times over.

In addition to DPs, this will open up the doors for very good players who will fit nicely within the non-DP salary structure. Peter Nowak type players who will play for half a million.

This is far from a destination. This is the beginning of a new era. It is also badly needed. We had started to become a real exporter of talent. We can't replace the Dempsey type players internally forever. Now, the pool of players from around the globe expands. With the foreign player limits and salary cap in MLS, we will get a nice mix of young americans, old returning americans and foreign players.

12. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN has to be the happiest 'person' on the planet right now (except for Posh Spice). Whatever deal they made with MLS pre-Beckham must seem like a bargain. The only question is will ESPN broadcast EVERY Galaxy game or will they contain themselves?

I think that Beckham is uniquely useful to MLS at this precise moment in its development. He is the most famous soccer player to Americans and will generate interest. He is still young enough to pay off that interest too with easily digestible moments (as you point out in the quote above). The positive developments from this signing may take a while to appear, but I believe they will.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Exactly ... and other teams can bring in a few more decent players/names and that will again add to the league's image and quality.

But it is bad news for non-coaches like Sigi Schmid or John Ellinger. RSL and the Crew better shape up for this New and Improved MLS.

14. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Dan Patrick is making fun of Becks girlie voice as we write. So I would not count on "good publicity". And saying this is ground for a spice girl reunion.

15. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    regarding how LA will perform, keep in mind:

1. Despite missing the playoffs, LA was tied with Chicago for the best record in the league from the point that Frank Yallop arrived.

2. Frank Yallop!!

3. LA hasn't had a great winger or central midfielder in a while.

16. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three questions

I am looking forward to Becks in MLS, but...

1. Do the Galaxy have anyone to get on the end of his crosses?

2. Will he push for a central midfield role?

3. If Becks and Posh get too much closer with Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, will they go all Scientology-creepy on us and kill the Beckham/MLS brand?

Another side note - Donovan won't be taking free kicks anymore.

17. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Three questions

1. Jaqua

2. No

3. No, but it may lead to an embarrssing supporting role in MI IV

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

I don't think he can beat the great Santino Quaranta on the right.

You're assuming the MLS refs will begin awarding free kicks now for fouls committed.

19. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

1. Jaqua. If you look at most of his goals with the Fire he was scoring from 12 yards in on one timers or headers. He is very good at finding space and his finishing in those face to goal situations is good. Then there is Donovan.

2. He might, and I don't think that is a bad thing. He would have the freedom to move side to side and he is also very good passing in tighter quarters.

3. Yes. ;)

20. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

or corners. landycakes was not good with those

21. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais

Nate J.
    I can hear Eddie Robinson salivating now. He's definitely going outside.

Please report to the mothership for your obviously overdue audit.

Until August.

22. Mike22

Mike22 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tampa-->KC, Mo
    Most important, I think, is the fact that his kids will now grow up in the States. The coaches of US YNT need to get the Beckham boys on our youth teams ASAP.

NATURALIZE THE BECKHAM BOYS!

23. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    So, does MLS schedule all of the Galaxy's games against the Revolution in the first half of the season so Joey Franchino doesn't get the chance to break Beckham's leg?

Later,
    COZ

24. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now that was funny!

25. onfirst

onfirst Member

Jun 7, 2002
    How will this affect MLS' ability to bring in other foreign stars? If I'm Ronaldo, Figo, ____ , and I see that Beckham is getting $250 mil I would certainly hold out for a rediculous contract. I know that image and marketing rights are a large part of Beckhams contract, but I would still think that other high profile players would want large contracts from MLS. Maybe in the $15-20 mil/year range, which I think is far too much for any of the players who may be considering a move to MLS.