Second Round Games (R)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by MoHeelfan, Nov 15, 2003.

1. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    UCLA 2, Pepperdine 0

2. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Here Goes...

Round 3

UNC
    Purdue

Santa Clara
    Portland

PSU
    Texas A&M

Kansas
    UCLA

Florida
    Tennessee

FSU
    WVU

Nova
    BYU

UConn
    Michigan

3. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Conference Breakdown (teams remaining):

Big 10 - 3

Big East - 3

ACC - 2

WCC - 2

Big 12 - 2

SEC - 2

Mountain West - 1

Pac-10 - 1

4. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Remaining 16

Not that the power rankings are important (especially to a committee of experts in soccer), but 10 of the top 16 teams in the Albyn Jones rankings are still around.

3 teams (Pepperdine, Duke and Stanford) lost to teams above them in the rankings. 3 teams lost to teams below them (Notre Dame, Virginia and Utah).

As XYZ would be sure to point out, the "upstart" teams Kansas 20, Connecticut 29, Villanova 32, Michigan 35, Purdue 36 and BYU 39 are all within 100 points of the 16th position.

5. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Re: Remaining 16

You got that right!

I'd further point out that a 100 point difference in ratings doesn't mean diddly, considering that fact that SEs (standard errors) are on the order of 70. A 100 point difference is barely even statistically significant.

On the other hand, I'd remind everyone that odds based on the Jones ratings increase exponentially as the ratings difference increases. So a 400 point is difference twice as big as a 300 point difference.

I'd also point out that there are only 3 teams within 300 points of UNC, and two of them will meet before they get to UNC. If somebody wanted to stack the deck against UNC, according to the Jones ratings, they screwed up. :D

The ratings differences in second round games were so low (with the exception of the UNC game) that almost nothing would have been a major upset, based on the Jones ratings.

---
    Edit:
    BTW, there are no teams within 200 ratings points of UNC.