Second NY/NYC Team Superthread [Part 2]

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by SideshowBob, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: New York City FC

Which shade of blue though (there are two on the flag)....

Actually, they could go with the city flag of NYC but there are a fairly boring red, white and blue (what do you expect from a city colonized by the Dutch).

Actually, I don't think it's worth it to pursue the Cosmos name given the grief that is likely to be involved with that, but I think reusing the Cosmos' team colors of green and yellow (basically, the colors of Brazil) would be awesome and give the team some character.

Oh, and the Empire Supporters Club took there name from the original name of the MetroStars -- they were going to be called "Empire Soccer Club" but orginal I/O John Kluge decided to name them "MetroStars" instead after his company, Metromedia. I would actually love to see what would happen if they started a second club named "Empire Soccer Club". Would the fan group change allegience? Change their name? Do nothing?

2. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000

I've thought for some time that the Red Bulls missed a great opportunity in not renaming themselves "Hudson County". That does have a great ring to it. Reminds us of those English team names like "Derby County". The Hudson River is as much a part of the NY/NJ identity as anything else. It's a great name to capitalize on. :cool:

Hudson County FC - now that's a terrific name!

And their crossriver rivals? Queens Kings (taking the actual names of Queens and Kings counties). Or how about another name having more to do with water: New York Atlantic FC

3. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

Whatever they call it, a second team -- as long as it is based in New York, not New Jersey -- would be a huge plus for Red Bull and MLS IMO. The rivalry would spur interest in both sides, and with two teams in New York and another in Philly, you will have five clubs that are close enough (with DC United and the Revs) where you could really see a large number of travelling supporters.

I think NY2 should be one of the final three slots.

4. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dunno about this. I think NYC FC would be a major success if they were in Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx. But we see Red Bulls now, and they're still trying to grow, and won't have the new stadium ready until probably 2009. At that point, there are HOPES that the team will be capable of selling out consistantly.

Until then, how do we know that people would support NYC FC AND Red Bulls to where both would profit?

5. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are two issues here: Should there be a second team in NYC? And, if so, when?

I think there most certainly should be a second team, though it must be in the Queens/Brooklyn/Long Island area (or Manhattan -- fat chance). But I agree that it doesn't make sense now (furthermore, I beleive RBNY has NYC exclusivity until 2010 or so anyway). RBNY is winning, there is more attention on MLS. Given them some time to build the stadium and hopefully establish a stronger fanbase -- I think they can if they continue winning and the team that is playing now looks to be a winner.

After 2010 or 2011, that's when I think you talk about team #2 in NYC. At that point, we're probably not talking about one of the 16 teams, but a future expansion to 18 or 20. I really can't imagine MLS going to 20 without a second team in NYC -- half of NYC is better than any other option they'll be able to come up with at that time.

6. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I think there should be a second Kansas City team. I mean, the Wizards are like soooooo far from most of the city. That's why people don't go. There should be a team next to everyone's house.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would absolutely rock! Just imagine the New York Cosmos playing the San Jose Earthquakes and the Seattle Sounders in a few short years. :cool:

That would definitely bring back memories... damn, I'm old! :(

-G

8. Keystone FC

Keystone FC New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Kettering, OH
    Club:
    Toronto FC

You know it's strange, but just about every team to follow an original New York team into a league has gone Orange and Blue.
    Yankees (Navy) - Mets (Orange & Blue)
    Rangers (Red & Blue) - Islanders (Orange & Blue)
    Those are only 2 examples but I would be in favor of another Orange team in the MLS.

9. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend

The reference to "recent MLS clubs which were New York in name only" is both offensive and downright ignorant. Since the league's inception and most likely in perpetuity, there has been and will be only one club that represents New York.

Paul Berry repped this.
  10. CLOCKWORK ORANGE

CLOCKWORK ORANGE New Member

May 6, 2007
    NYC, United States

That would be nice :D

11. CLOCKWORK ORANGE

May 6, 2007
    NYC, United States

Sounds awesone. I'm lovin it. You see those are proper names. It doesn't have to be a corny name like any other American team. I really hope I see an NYC squad in in my lifetime.

12. yure323

yure323 New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Necropolis

I'm not from the NY area,but I found an interesting plot of land playing with Google Earth, in Brooklyn in the neighborhood of Starrett City,Ny to be precise. It's the area around what I think is the Gateway Center shopping mall. Maybe someone from the area could comment if it would be possible or wise to build a stadium there.

13. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto

If it worked like this, the team would be just as succesfull (at least initially) as Toronto FC.

-Get Steinbrenner in on the team.
    -Name them simply Yankees FC.
    -Use current Yankee Stadium (with wholesale renovations to make it very soccer specific), at least it's facade, and make that into a state of the art MLS Stadium. They could easily have a better stadium than BMO. And I think it wouldnt cost much (but what do I know about massive reno's).

We all know how easy it is to get to Yankee Stadium. It would create an amazing atmosphere around both stadiums, and really elevate the status of the soccer team. Im sure MLS could do a good job of scheduling around the baseball so that they are never competing. Hopefully they will get alot of cross over consumers.

Plus, Steinbrenner is loaded, just like MLSE (the Maple Leafs, Raptors and FC owners). Solid ownership, and a good location are key.

And Yankees FC would be badass and instantly everyone hates them. They become a draw on the road (at least initially out of sheer curiosity) right out of the gate.

And they could have some cool jerseys too.

14. CLOCKWORK ORANGE

May 6, 2007
    NYC, United States

I'm looking at the map right now and see the area you are talking about. It seems perfect :eek: theres nothing there, no park or anything.

15. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Google Earth images are somewhat dated. It's possible that the land has already been developed.

16. yure323

yure323 New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Necropolis

True,that's why I asked if people from the area could give any insight.I assume there is (was?) a landfill there.

17. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006

Rob Stone said on the Thursday (5/24) game that we could see a NYC team in the next few years, so maybe things are fairly far along. Anyone else hear anything about it?

And I think the Old (Current) Yankee Stadium would be badass for games.

18. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Yankees will have their brand new Yankee Stadium in 2010 (earliest possible year for another team in the NY area) and there is no way in hell they would let a team play soccer on their fireld during the baseball season.

19. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto

They are building a brand new Yankee stadium across the street from the current one.

Did you not know that?

20. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This isn't the first time this web site has been discussed on these boards. I need a moderater to help me out on this one, but I'm certain it's buried in an NYC expansion thread somewhere else. You won't get any reply if you e-mail them, and if you look at their time line they are way behind schedual. Plus, the idea of starting off in USL D-1, and then going to MLS is just absurd. Promotion relegation freaks please don't respond with; USL to MLS promotion is a great idea!....blah blah blah blah. It'll never happen.
    Back on topic. I think the website was probably started by some soccer crazy nerd with a computer who legitimately wants to see a team in the NY Metropolitan area, but doesn't have the ways or means to make it come about so he sucks people like us into discussing it.

21. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If the guy who started the website didn't have any means of making this happen, why would he start a website with all of that information and come up with possible logos for the team?

22. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ha ha, best comment ever!

If RBNY was selling out most matches, yeah, another NY team would be a good idea. If.

And save the whining about the Meadowlands. Dallas fans can make it to Frisco. LA/Chivas fans manage to make it to Carson. Fire fans seem to be able to find Bridgeview. Are NY fans that much softer than these other fans?

23. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because that's fifty million times easier than actually making it happen. Hell, there are people who create websites, logos, etc. for their Strat-O-Matic teams.

24. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I had the time I too could come up some cool logos, and a history of soccer in Charlotte NC. I could probably even get some space to set up a website somewhere too. Doesn't mean I'm not serious about wanting a MLS team in Charlotte. I'd love to see one, but I certainly don't have the capital or the connections to make it happen.

25. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

so why is it that people are still too think to understand the concept that PEOPLE IN NYC DONT HAVE CARS!!!!