Second best stadium in MLS: Robertson

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Chowderhead, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    After the HDC. Why? Well, it looks like a real soccer ground. Even the new section of sidline grandstands looks like something out of El Centenario. And, above all, there are stands on all four sides. The result is a cozy, atmospheric ground.

Isn't it funny that a university gridiron stadium should be superior to the new SSSs with their ugly, empty and cold-looking stages?

Enjoy your stay at Robertson, guys. The vibe that I catch of it on TV is great.

2. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...the stages bother me. It seems like you could hold concerts there without having a permanent stage. Large stadia do it all the time.

Before they ever played a match there, I thought Robertson looked like a good soccer stadium. Of course, I'll feel differently when I see "Cougars" emblazoned under one of the goals in a few months. :)

3. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought this as well but I'm obviously biased. Good to hear that outsiders agree.

4. jkuterba

jkuterba New Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Kingwood, TX
    the grade of the stands in SSS's seems too low from what i've seen, pulls the fans away from the field. I guess Americans like to have their legroom though... open ended on one side is no good either. the bridgeview place for fire looks like it will be pretty good though, if they removed the stage. I'm not impressed with PHP at all. Crew stadium would be decent if it had some character, but it doen't. I agree when American football starts up and the lines are on the Robertson field it will look bad, but the stadium will remain a good place to watch a game.

5. Dynamo_Joe

Dynamo_Joe Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    The football lines will probably be painted over except for the endzones. I am sure that UH and AEG will figure something out. Midfield will have a UH logo on it and probably C-USA logos at the 30s.

I also agree that the Rob is a great venue but then again I am a bit biased.

Go Coogs!

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been going to Robertson for the beautiful game since '98 and the "box" effect that Robertson provides always allows the crowd to be close up to the action and the endzone sightlines are terrific. The atmosphere is there to be generated. Our Texian Army is doing its part. I'm glad to see that our sound comes across on TV.

7. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It's important that the honkies in other cities watching on TV or the 'net learn the "culero" chant, especially the kids. These are the sacrifices we make for the sake of the next generation...

8. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Robertson is pretty nice, but I'm not so sure about number two. The field itself could be. The overall fana amenaties at Dallas negate the ugly stage. I've been to Columbus and I really like the way it's laid out. The ability to walk around the perimeter is pretty nice. Robertson appears to have great atmosphere on from tv though. That alone makes it wonderful. I probably wouldn't mind Gillette so much if it had 18K fans supporting the team like you guys do. I would rate LA, Dallas and Columbus ahead of Robertson -- followed by the rest. When Denver and Chicago come on board those guys will contend for #1. Colorado has the potential to be the best in the league I think.

9. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Robertson looks and feels great, I really like it, but in some ways looks can be deceiving. The red seats look great, I like the palms and hibiscus and all the landscaping, the pitch is beautiful and the arrangement of the seats is great. And in the ends, the new restrooms and concesssions are nice. That said, though, the innards of the stadium are pretty horrific, at least in the old part. It's all creepy old concrete, steep ugly ramps and scary bathrooms with urinals from the 50's. And on the outside, though it probably doesn't come across on tv, the stands are just aluminum benches with no backs to them, at least in the two sides. I think in the ends they have backs, and the lower seats are actual seats.
    But hey I'm not complaining, I love watching soccer, I would do it in a cotton field. The aluminum benches aren't at all uncomfortable. And really, once you're in your "seat," it is a fantastic place to watch the game. Oh, I wish the jumbotron were a little more jumbo...
    :D

10. Merlin

Merlin Member

Feb 28, 1999
    Houston
    I have two words for those alluminum benches:

Stadium seats.

We bring our own and they work nicely.

The Texian Army has one word for those alluminum benches:

Stand.

Cheers.

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I have been to a bunch of MLS stadiums and Robertson is my favorite to watch a match.

While the weather may change my line of thinking in a month or two and the home side has limited view of the lines, the pitch is great and the open corners with landscaping add a touch of class while allowing a breeze to make its way through.

12. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really have never liked PHP either. The field looks wonderful, and I like the way 3/4 of the stadium is laid out, but that one end with the stage is such an eyesore. I know they built it like that, so PHP could pull some more entertainment than just soccer games, but I still don't like it. I do like the fact that it was built into the ground. That's quite cool.

Crew Stadium is a nice stadium, just a bit boring. But it really doesn't matter, since the only time I've ever been there the US beat Mexico 2-0 to go to this year's World Cup. I can guarantee I wasn't looking at the stadium that night.

I've never been out to HDC, but since it hosts the Gals, I have to hate it.

Robertson is a very fine stadium. You can tell how old it is, but I really like the character it brings. Now in the summer when the football lines make their appearance, that won't be too cool, but as a temporary stadium solution, it works just fine. At least it's not Sucklake.

13. flint

flint New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Sugar Land
    The old part of Robertson was known as Jeppeson when I was a kid. It was originally built as part of a government works program known as the WPA. It's strickly utilitarian, no art deco adornments or style. It reflects the hard scrabble life of the surrounding neighborhood. That said, I love the place because of all the memories I have watching the Oilers play there during their AFL years, plus the high school football games and track meets. I feel comfortable there in the way someone feels comfortable in their grandma's house. I know the restrooms and concession stands seem quite gothic, but rarely have I seen them dirty, since the UH bought the stadium. The bleachers seats have generous leg room and the aisles space is acceptable.