Second Annual Roadtrip to Highbury Announced

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by idiparker, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    You're dating yourself, Dan, although I don't feel nearly so old now. I was finishing up my Freshman year in '83. That would be high school, though.

2. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    If I was at home, at my own school, in my own country, I wouldn't hesitate to ask about switching my finals. But as I'm not, and as these stuffy Spaniards don't really care about me seeing Arsenal, I won't.

And if I was at home, at my own school, in my own country, finals would have happened already anyway.

I went last year though, so it's all good. Fun times, fun times.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, that is a shame! I will just miss you guys. I bought a ticket to London a few days ago because the prices were so cheap. however, i'm going over the thanksgiving holiday time. the good thing is that Chelsea plays ManU at that time in London, so I have already told my cousin (who is a Brit and lives in London) to procure some tickets by hook or by crook!

4. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Hey everyone, looks like the latest return flight to Boston on Sunday evening is at 6:50. It leaves out of Heathrow, which is about 60 minutes away by car, right? That sounds pretty sketchy to make if the match is at 2 (ending at 4). Any thoughts? Thanks...

5. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    if you absolutely have to be back on Sunday, the 6:50 flight is really a longshot. Plus you'll be thinking about whether you'll make your flight or not when you should be taking in the match.

6. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

I've tried to get my wife to go to England (she's never been) and part of the trip has always been a visit to Highbury. Unfortunately she's a teacher and isn't able to take time off for this trip.

However, this trip is too good to turn down with the games and all, and she suggested that I go on the trip alone. (My wife doesn't actually have any interest in watching a football game anyhow so when we head to England together, we'll just be taking in the sights and sounds vs. just watching football all the time.

I love my wife - woo hoo! I'm going - the boss has given me the greenlight!!

I had the same thoughts as Dan - I don't want to regret not going - b/c I'm planning to head back to school next year so I may not have this chance again while Highbury is still around. And that's my dream - to take a game at Highbury with fellow rabid Gooners b/c the atmosphere may not be the same at Ashburton Grove.

7. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Arsenal - LHR, in a pinch

Arsenal to LHR is a bear in a pinch. There are a few things to consider:

Driving is about an hour, but finding a cab near Highbury post game will require a 10-15 minute walk to find a cab. Then you have to just luck out on traffic.

If you try to tube it, you could do this: Arsenal to Kings Cross. Kings Cross to Paddington, and Heathrow Express to LHR. Probably 15 minutes for each segment, and 15 minutes of connections or so. You'd be wise to check your luggage in at Paddington before the game.

However, with that said, you should note that often times the fare difference between Sunday and Monday can justify a night in a hotel (or be pretty close). M-T-W are usually the cheapest days to fly out of LHR, and you might save $30-$60 bucks (which will take a dent out of the hotel bill for that night).

8. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Re: Arsenal - LHR, in a pinch

For what it's worth, British Airways doesn't do this any more, or at least they said they weren't going to. I don't know if other airlines offer that service.

9. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    I'm looking to take an 8:30 pm flight, so I think I should be OK. If the match gets out around 4, I can take the tube and be at LHR around 5 or 5:30, so that should be good. Anybody know if Virgin let's you check bags at Paddington?

10. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    checking bags

BA and Virigin and United have all closed their paddington facilities. What I meant was "left luggage" which is like a luggage locker. You can keep it at paddington for the day and then pick it up on the way out.

BA has self-service check ins there I think, but you carry your bags to LHR, as far as I can recall.

11. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Re: Arsenal - LHR, in a pinch

Why not take the tube all the way Arsenal - heathrow direct , should be just as quick, if not quicker.

12. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Not going :(

Looks like this Gooner won't be making the trip. December is the busiest time of the year for me at work. January and February are the best times for me. Maybe next year? Enjoy everyone! We are all jealous!

13. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not alone, Gooner. I'm all out of travel time for the year. Pity, as my girlfriend is a Blackburn supporter and she'd have enjoyed taking in the match as well. (Sitting with their away supporters, obviously...! :D )

I'm also looking for opportunities in January-- I'm figuring either trying to swing the week of January 5th for Everton away and Boro at Highbury (just how far away is everton, anyway?), or heading over for the match on the 31st against Man City. I really want to see Seaman play at Highbury, even if he'll be on the wrong team...

14. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Not going :(

I also regret to inform you lot that I will not be making the trip this year. Right now, all the money I make is going to gas and college, in that order. I wish I could go, but what's a cash-strapped kid to do? Have a great time. :D

15. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Ok. I'm in. Too excited to write anymore.

16. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about 90% certain I can go--just one more hurdle to clear!!

17. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are people staying? Any reasonable (cheap) recommendations?

18. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Could someone with some experience with this trip post approximately what the overall cost is? As a bigtime Gunner fan who didn't get to Highbury in several previous England visits, I'm more than a little interested and am wondering how this would fit into the budget.

19. Suckafree

Suckafree Member

Sep 16, 2002
    B-Town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I went to london last March we stayed at the Blakemore, I think it was about $100.00 a night Double occupancy. The place was clean and had a bed thats about all I can say about it.
    If you look on any of the internet travel sites: Expedia, cheapfares, cheaptickets, or hotels.com I'm sure you should be able to find something that suits you. If you can find someone to split the bill with you that will help as well.

Hope you all have a great trip. I'm not going to make it as I have a wedding and honeymoon to save for. Highbury is an amazing place, and as much as I would like to go with you its just not in the cards this year.

20. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Re: Re: Arsenal - LHR, in a pinch

True. They are both on the Piccadilly Line. The only thing is that there are a lot of stops between Arsenal and Heathrow. I can't remember how long it takes, but I think it's at least an hour.

I'm 99.9% sure I'm going. I'm not an impulsive buyer, so I think if I wait another day I'll feel better about spending the cash. But I have a feeling that sentiment will change by this afternoon.

21. MickeyHeath

MickeyHeath New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    London
  22. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Costs of a trip

I posted this on ArsenalAmerica, but I guess it would be wise to post it here. Of course, your spending habits may vary, but this is an estimate.

------>>

Here are some of the expenses you may incur.

$400--> Economy Airfare (East Coast, USA). Low $300, High $1,000.

$150/night --> Hotel 4* or so
    $60-$150 a night--> Hotel 2*-3* (i.e. < a USA Motel 6 to about a US Holiday Inn)

$35-->Heathrow Express to Paddington from LHR (or)
    $10/day --> Subway pass

$15-$20--> Cheap sit down meal
    $5-$10 --> Fast food meal

$60/match-->Arsenal tickets
    $3 --> program at Highbury
    $5 --> Soda and Dog at Highbury
    $5 --> Meat patty/thing outside Highbury
    $30 --> Stuff in Arsenal Shop

$10 --> Phone card to call USA (if needed)

$priceless-->Anytime in Highbury

So, with that said, let's say we go over for a Wednesday game. If you are really trying to save money, you'll take a redeye out of the USA and save a night in the hotel. If you get a good deal on the flight, you're looking at $400. You'll stay at a 2 star place around Paddington or Kings Cross (though there are some stories about those places). Say, $75 a night. WRFS S-- % nights, $375 or so (probably higher).

$120 for tickets, and say $50 in assorted Arsenal things at the game. Say four days of a tube card for another $40 (you can walk one day) which also gets you in an out of the city to the Airport. Fast food it twice a day (get a continental breakfast at the hotel for free). $20 a day for food x WRFSS=$100. One night you'll splurge and eat out nice for say an extra $20.

Ok, what is that.
    400 airfare
    375 hotel
    120 tix
    50 Arsenal stuff
    40 tube cards
    100 fast food
    20 nice food
    -----------------
    $1,100 for five nights in London.

Ok, with that said (and it is just a guide) there are always TONS of deals and holidays (check out baholidays.com and ABSOLUTELY check out lastminute.com) that can deliver airfare and hotels around $600-$800 total.

On the other hand, my last trip was probably double that, in that I stayed at a pretty posh hotel, ate well, and took a few cabs. I saved some money in that I didn't buy that much at the Gunner's store (have it all already).

Some people on the last trip did it even grander than me, and some amazed me at their ability to stretch a dollar and still enjoy their time at Arsenal. Once we got there last year we would go out in groups sort of ad hoc, meeting at this bar or that, eating with this person or that.

In the end, I don't think anyone was sorry they came. There were quite a few people back in the US looking at us holding up the FA Cup and the Premiership Trophy and just sort of crying that they couldn't make it.

As always, feel free to e-mail me with other questions.

23. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I'm in! Thanks for organizing this, AA!

24. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    I don't think anyone is going to be dissapointed with Highbury, it's absolutely fantastic and on top of that one of the matches is a champions league match. Glad to see Rapids is in.

25. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Costs of a trip

Go to http://www.travelbritain.org/newhome/discounts/disctlond.htm and pick order a tube pass before you go. Good for the tube and bus, only for sale to people in the US/Can. (Canada people have to click around some more though)

Central Zones (1&2)
    3 days $21.00
    4 days $27.00
    7 days $33.00

All Zones
    3 days $32.00
    4 days $42.00
    7 days $63.00