Second Annual Roadtrip to Highbury Announced

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by idiparker, Sep 25, 2003.

1. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    It's with great pleasure that I announce the ArsenalAmerica.com Roadtrip to Highbury, ver. 2.0

The full details are at http://www.arsenalamerica.com/new/m...ile=article&sid=924&mode=flat&order=0&thold=0>, but basically we've been given the green light to plan for:

Arsenal v. Locomotive Moscow (Wed, Dec. 10) and
    Arsenal v. Blackburn (Sun, Dec. 14).

As it is a Sunday game, there is also the opportunity to hit any one of FIVE other London matches that weekend (Chelsea, West Ham, Crystal Palace, Millwall and QPR are ALL home that Saturday).

Anyway, the timing was right, and the airfares are AMAZING for those weeks. I mean some of the lowest I've seen! Check http://www.arsenalamerica.com/new/m...ile=article&sid=924&mode=flat&order=0&thold=0 and let us know.

2. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    sweetness....I'll already be in London that week.

3. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Folks, I highly recommend going on this trip. If you've never been, you'll be blown away by the whole experience, especially the atmosphere surrounding Highbury before and after the matches.

The private stadium tour is amazing, our hosts are extremely gracious, and I know you're going to love the experience.

The other great thing is that you meet a lot of terrific people, and you get to put faces to names.

I was lucky enough to go last year, but, unfortunately, I'm 99% sure I won't be able to go this time. But if anyone who's thinking about it has any questions, send me a PM or ask me here.

Dan

4. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Sounds like a great trip and I'd usually jump at the opportunity, but I just can't commit to doing it so soon.

Last month I went to Santos, SP, Brasil to see my #1 favorite team, Santos, and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

I tell my Arsenal buds all the time that I must get to Highbury before the new stadium is built, so I only hope these packages will continue to be offered in the future (and that they will continue to be affordable!).

5. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    I'm there! I think I already e-mailed Andrew and Rick Let us know more. Btw, no offense intended but which of you is Idi. I'm afraid I've got it all wrong. Thanks for making this happen guys!

6. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    idiparker = Webmaster Andrew
    442 = President Rick

7. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
  8. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    So you're telling me there's a chance....

Come on. Quit your job, get some credit cards and come on over :)

<$300 roundtrip from the East Coast. Amazing airfares we have to take advantage of.

9. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well have a good time guys.

Last year was great fun.

But like Dan I won't be able to make it this year either. Last year I combined it with a trip to see the family in Scotland and friends in London, but that won't be happening this year.

Though I will admit those fairs make it awfully tempting to try a bit of trickery with red eye flights and such.

Hopefully this time next year I'll be able to take advantage of such flights from the east coast as I am moving there.

Come January it's goodbye west coast hello east coast.

10. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Travel is so cheap right now, I decided I could not pass up the opportunity to go again. I also highly recommend going. We had a great time last year.

Dan, it's too bad you're not going to go again. The fares are unbelievable right now, so maybe the .1% chance can grow :)

11. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Unfortunately that's the time when my son will be in Texas, so I'll have to wait a year or 2 before I subject anyone to him being on a plane for 8 hours or so.

To the group that's going: PLEASE get a photo of the ArseAm'ers with that Elaine woman who sits behind the goal! The called her "The Screamer Lady" or something to that effect and had a VU meter on her during the game. FANTASTIC!!! And it was great to see that the fans around her seemed to enjoy her support in her rather "loud" way.

BTW, I love when FSW takes the Sky feed direct. I PVR'd, but you get an hour of pregame PLUS 30 minutes post-game. Absolutely wonderful.

12. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    I'm officially in for the trip and I'm really looking forward to it. Fares are a little more for me (stupid US Airways), but it'll be worth it. Anybody got any hotel recommendations? I'm looking for a place that's under $110, that's decent, and is reasonably close to Highbury so I can walk there.

13. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my god. I'd love to go on this trip, especially since the ticket prices are dirt cheap. Unfortunately I still have class and can't miss it. Well, maybe I'll get a chance to go on my own during my winter break. Sounds like a fantastic opportunity though.

14. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Drop out of school then....

15. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    Quit stealing my ideas.

I unfortunately can't make this trip, because I have finals here that week. Then I'll be in London on Dec. 19th for a few days.. fancy that.

16. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Take the finals early

I'm sure the professors would understand. If they aren't football fans, make up some old aunt's second cousins anniversery of their release from a prison work camp or something like that. Sure that would work.

Actually, I guess that's another factor we should work into the consideration matrix for the next trip: the academic calendar. It's just we were so limited this year by the schedule we really ended up not having much of a choice when to go (along with the great ticket prices).

17. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    I agree. I took finals early one semester way back when because I was going to family funeral across the country during finals week. Perhaps a convenient dead relative can "materialize."

18. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are these suggestions of chicanery? We're Arsenal people, not Man United people............ ;)

Last year I took my finals early to leave on my trip even though I didn't meet up with the ArseAm group until the end of things. Most of my professors didn't care, just one less final for them to grade all at once.

Commencement here is on the 6th of December and I must attend because of my mother. She seems to think its a big deal to see me walk, though I really have no interest in going personally.

Though strangely this is before finals which don't start until a few days after that and end on the 14th. So could I concievably recieve my degree and then fail a class? What a world.

19. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    That's why Syracuse University didn't give you your diploma at commencement. They waited and mailed it to you. You got a nice pen at commencement and that was it. Thankfully, I already had my diploma, as I graduated early, but I'm sure more than a few people had a nerve-wracking few weeks waiting to see if they would actually receive something.

20. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Let me tell all you budding Einsteins a story about school and choices:

Once upon a time, way back in 1983, I had the chance to go see an up-and-coming group play at one of the best concert venues in the country, or I could do the "right" thing, stick around campus, and take a final. In the end, I decided on the final.

To this day, 20 years later, I still regret missing U2's now-legendary concert at Red Rocks.

Meanwhile, I have absolutely no idea what final I stuck around and took but, whatever it was, I can guarantee you it had NO INFLUENCE whatsoever on my life.

The concert, though, turned out to literally be a once-in-a-lifetime event - a chance to see U2 before Bono became an insufferable ass on a magic night where it was pouring down rain and suddenly stopped when the band came out when they played some amazing music with the raw passion that made them great.

To everyone on the fence: You'll probably get to go to Highbury before it's closed for good. But then again, you might not - things have a way of popping up.

Just something to think about.

21. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    For the longest time, that was my favorite U2 record. When I finally got rid of all of theirs, I still kept that one and still have it today.

Let me echo what Dan said, a memorable experience at Highbury will be treasured long after you've totally forgotten eveything you've learned in college. No one cares about what grades you got anyway.

22. scudly

scudly New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Floriduh
    dwinkler makes a great point. I know that I'm moving cross-country next week and money will be tight, but going to Highbury has been something I've wanted to do for a long time and never have for whatever reason. But with this happening I'm doing my damnest to make it happen, sure I might be broke for a little while, but it'd be worth it in the long run in life-experiences gained.

Plus I might ask for some money from the folks as an early xmas present. :eek:

23. idiparker

idiparker Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Not to influence anyone

a) I would have loved to gone to that Red Rocks concert. I wish that was on DVD. I remember when they showed that on MTV Saturday night. That was just an awesome awesome event.

b) If you are on the fence, I can tell you something from last year. We posted photos of the trip as we went along, and several of those people who didn't make it stared at them back in the states with an incredible sense of dread. "Oh lord, why am I not there!"

Now, if you get to London frequently, this isn't the end of the world. But if life is tight, we really have a good package together with two games and low airfares. I hope you can find away to come. If not, we will always try to do it again next season.

24. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would've dropped out of school for lesser reasons.

Seriously, though, Dan, I understand your story. And it's true that this is an amazing opportunity. But my stupid school has an attendance policy since we're not a big University. So if I were to take a whole week off, I'd get dropped out of all my classes. And to be honest, I don't think that'll go over very well with my parents.

Ahh, well. Maybe next year.

25. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Not much to contribute other than I'd love to go, dunno if I can tho and that there is something magical about Red Rocks that brings out the best in bands.