Sebastian Soto at Austria Klagenfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's more designed to prevent average foreigners from working in the UK. No one disputes Sadio Mane's CV. No one is going to question Ederson. What England doesn't want is guys who fill the bottom parts of rosters and eliminate all chance of English players getting to play. They want to bring the very best players to the EPL, but they don't want to clog up the Championship with average players who are no better than their own home grown guys.

That's why contract size, transfer fee, international appearances matter. Players like Soto take up a spot that an English player could fill. He's not vastly better than most so the idea is to be protectionist against bringing those guys to England.

There's been a concerted effort to increase playing time to young English players because before they weren't getting their chances. That's why Jaden Sancho went to Germany. Lookman's at RBL and Jude Bellingham just signed with Dortmund.

2. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Still baffled that he went to Norwich. I hope they can at least get him quality loan destinations over the course of his contract if he performs well for Telstar this upcoming season.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Truth be told, the only thing he can prove at Telstar is that he's not a terrible player.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand your views on this. Yes, he lost a year of development. The reason for that is he didn't want to extend at Hanover. He didn't key the gaffer's car. He didn't pass around the 'vid. He made a decision not to stay. It's like you don't realize that the alternative was that he would continue to be obligated to play for Hanover.

It's just weird.

Gacm32, sXeWesley, Deeneaus and 3 others repped this.
  7. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I do think it is an interesting conversation that is admittedly nothing more than speculation. I've said before and ill say again that SOMETHING had to have happened that soured Hannover on Soto during the negotiations and when he said he wouldnt sign an extension. From what I remember he was also held in good regards with the team.

I dont necessarily think that Soto did anything wrong but I do think based on reading the tea leaves that if he could go back and do it over he may handle things a bit differently

8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    There must be some unwritten rule that you’re not free to enter into contracts (or not) if you’re a player in Europe. Seems like an odd rule, but there you have it. Apparently you are morally obligated to sign extensions or be shunned.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He basically told them he would be leaving for free. And they answered that then they don't care for raising him. I don't blame either side. His agent didn't see it coming? Doesn't look smart at all.

Gacm32, tomásbernal, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  10. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He had a deal. PSV were going to buy him just like Gloster and HSV said the amount wasn't enough after they sold Gloster. That's when things broke down. He had his move lined up and his team killed it. Why would he stay when he believed HSV wasn't looking out for his best interests?

Gacm32, justinkicks, sXeWesley and 3 others repped this.
  11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Why does it have to be SOMETHING other than he didn't want to sign an extension?

Gacm32, sXeWesley, ChicagoVT and 3 others repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    For how much? What if Barca comes and offers $20 for him? Is HSV obligated to sell? Of course HSV (or any other club) looks for its best interests only. Soto has rights not to stay, the club has rights not to play him. The agent must have told him. Who is his agent by the way?

13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Just FYI HSV = Hamburger SV (Hamburg)

Hannover 96 = H96 or something that isn't HSV

14. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm going off my memory but I believe the number was 200k. I think they paid around that for Gloster, so I'm going to assume H96 (hat tip @kruck ) wanted more for the striker.

LouisianaViking07/09 and butters59 repped this.
  15. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a sonar tech in the US Navy and approve this message.

Deeneaus, ChicagoVT, russ and 5 others repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telstar it is:

17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    cmon chile he hasn’t played in a year and never in the first division

why did this take so long anyways

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    How We Wonder Where You Are: Sebastian Soto @ Telstar (on loan from Norwich City)

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not MinneSoto, but close enough: Soto at Telstar

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, he's going to the same club and same division as Novakovich did 3 seasons ago. Soto is about 10 months younger than Nova was at the time of the move.

Novakovich can't score for shit and grabbed 22 goals in 38 games (all comps) for Telstar.

That's the absolute minimum I expect out of Soto this season.

21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twinkle, twinkle litTelstar: Soto in the Netherlands

22. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    It’s been So Long Since My Telstar

(Obscure Frank Black reference)

Hobo repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  24. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying Soto is Teenager of the Year?