Sebastian Soto at Austria Klagenfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm usually ambivalent about moves like this, but I think Soto to Norwich is a pretty clear call. Might work out; might not.

schrutebuck repped this.
  2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I’m not bullish on Soto get enough appearances in qualifying matches to meet the home office requirement any time soon. The USMNT striker pool maybe thin but he will have to land somewhere and then do some serious work to work himself into a really good position within the usmnt to meet those high requirements. I forget the % of qualifying usmnt games he would have to play in. All that plus who knows the status of international football for the next couple of years. I thought he would wind up at PSV. Bummer.

3. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    According to the article in BILD it sounds like a loan is being explored in Germany, Holland or Belgium.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, since he won't get a WP in England any time soon, he still might got to PSV, only on loan. The only place in the UK where he might get a WP in August is Scotland, which is not exactly a great palce for development, and even there a WP is very unlikely this season.

It's Holland, Belgium or BL2 on loan.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If he looks good wherever he goes the Mexicans are going to push to get him. They're already prepping for it:

https://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/...astian-soto-ficha-norwich-city-premier-league

Mexican to the Premier League! Norwich signs the young forward Sebastian Soto.

Meet Sebastian Soto, the Mexican who will arrive to Norwich City in the Premier for the 20-21 season, becoming one of our new legionaries!

ChicagoVT and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    sotos agent seems to represent nobody within 10 years of soto. only high profile client is wanyama if transfermarkt is right. hard to have much faith

7. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i cant get my head around that at all. a top 3 club in either holland or belgium (and the dead last team in the bund) would be better than norwich.

how often do english-owned players go on loans to better clubs than their parent? to limit that (im assuming) VERY small number even further- how many young, completely untested prospects get loaned to, again, a club better than their parent club?

but say that happens somehow- he goes to freiburg/anderlect/feyenord (im not sure how many vowels im missing there, probably a lot), gets, say, 800 minutes, a handful of goals. great, right? but what happens next?

back to norwich, safely back in the colaship to an objectively worse team/league.

i mean....whats the- if not best, but pretty good- case scenario here? how do you all see this playing out? even accepting the scenario laid out is that enough for him to (be including, firstly) but beat out altidore/zardes/sargent for the caps he would need? the destination is still norwich.

as others have noted, signing for even an everton or a sevilla (much less a city or chelsea) would be one thing- theres a positive endgame, a goal worth reaching.

so again, i dont see how this move is any better than going to miami or atlanta or portland.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'm scratching my head at this move - but if he ends up at a place that has experience developing young attackers who then move onto the major leagues that would be better than going to MLS generally (and those three clubs particularly) as they have very little experience doing that.

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Take that one cautiously. Transfermarkt is regulary and accurately updated about things like PT and the rest, but agents aren't.

According to that company's own website there's no mention of Wanyama or any other currently active player, but there is a lot of retired players who pop up on TV, radio etc doing commentary, pundity and analysis. In other words, they're a media agency, not a palyer's agency.

http://www.extratimemanagement.com/talent/

10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.. his agent is Rob Moore. He reps Pulisic, Soto, Taitague, Booth, Haji Wright, Gloster, Juan Pablo Torres.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what other clubs were tracking him? still wondering why he chose Norwich or simply he'd have chosen any Premier League side?

12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money right? That's what he was looking for at Hannover

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    from my knowledge, wolverhampton, ajax & psv at one point, southampton, wolfsburg, club brugge & frieburg.

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    makes sense that he left Germany. Wolfsburg and Freiburg would have made him play II/RL and doesn't seem like he wants to even play there.

15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Soto has a lot more to do before he convinces me he belongs in the USMNT picture.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Probably has even more to convince his parents.

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pretty clearly we have different standards. Some of you guys are really into abstractions - things like club quality, development, first-team minutes and performance. These factors are merely proxies, with limited utility.

Much as a politician can be judged by one test, can he or she get elected, a USMNT candidate can be judged by a single criteria:

Does he have an active BS Yanks Abroad thread?

For as long as the answer in his case remains an emphatic yes, Soto will remain front and center in the USMNT picture.

{With that said, I'd obviously feel better if the guy played soccer every once in a while, if only for appearances' sake.}

Deeneaus, sXeWesley, butters59 and 2 others repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

FYP

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I LOLed at this one, but you're absolutely right. The kid's thread has 40 pages, based on a hell of a lot of transfer specularion and the fact that he notched up 17 goals and 6 assists in 24 games, not in the U-19 BL, but in the U-19 BL Nord/NordOst.

To date, the kid has played all of 250 minutes of pro football, which is a little over 2.5 games. And 220 of those 250 minutes count as pro play if you classify the RL Nor/NordOst as professional which, as the joint-weakest of the 5 RLs is debatable.

20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    It seems a shame to me. Talent is certainly important for a player, but so are good career decisions and this kid seemed to play well at youth levels and generated plenty of opportunities for places to go. But so far he was making noise at one club and got blackballed and never saw the field only to transfer to a team that he won't qualify to play for and crossing his fingers wherever they send him will work out. These are not hallmarks of good decision making. He's losing valuable time he'll never get back.

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's a known fact that Nord/Nordost is the weakest region of the 3. U19 means 0 to grand scheme of things anyways since you have to transition into the adult sector.

It's not debatable since RL is not pro football, officially 1BL-2BL-3rd Liga are the pro levels. At best, RL is semi-pro, 3rd Liga is lowest full pro level. And yeah RL Nord is not a strong one. Wolfsburg II who are also in RL Nord were contenders for promotion for 2 consecutive seasons (they got screwed by corona this season) for a reason.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wait, whose side are you on? Not that it matters as long as you keep your Soto post-count going strong. :thumbsup:

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well it's the reality of things, even clubs, fans, scouts know that Nord/Nordost for youth and Nord isn't strong area. It doesn't mean there are no talents or players of worth just that the level is not the strongest.

Unless he goes on loan back to Germany, this is likely where my posting on him will end. He's done for the season at H96, RL season is cancelled and there are 0 reasons to use him for 1st team unless mass injuries even then they are better off using some guys from II.

24. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So by BS standards he has done more than enough to earn a thread of 100+ pages?

Transfer Specularion: Soto Speak should be the new thread title, at least until he is playing "professional" football.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #1000 TimB4Last, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    :eek: But I have you in the Soto pool as the guy most likely to make Soto post #1000!

Edit: That wasn't smart. :( Who's our winner?