Sebastian Soto at Austria Klagenfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FYP

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Let's see if he gets bids from first division sides, anywhere, before we talk about CL sides.

nikeboots and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I sure hope he chooses a Dutch side

Ninjatom21 and Winoman repped this.
  4. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has exactly zero chance at getting a work permit on appeal IMO. Passport or bust. Not sure I like England for him anyway.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which means that it's either Citeh or Chelski in England, so he'll be loaned out to someone on the Continent, or it's Scotland with their easier WP rules.

Like you, I'm not fan of England, though a move to Celtic could help raise his profile and there'd be European football as well. Which makes it quite an attractive possibility. **

Edit: **
    OTOH, he'd be playing under Neill Lennon. So, maybe not.

6. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    1260687293364547585 is not a valid tweet id

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Norwich very likely in Championship next season. Would be hard to see him get a loan to Germany at decent level. Holland/Belgium is better option, more chances to play there.

according to reports, he was called up by USA senior for March but cancellation due to coronavirus wrecked that. Also H96 getting close $200 000 euros for training compensation.

8. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    wolves and southampton were also interested

TimB4Last and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda sorta leaning towards liking this move. Regardless of where Norwich lands (EPL or Championship), it's still a much higher level than being in the doghouse / not playng for Hannover and having sour grapes. Also, if Norwich is relegated, it could / should be easier for Soto to obtain work permit. I believe the requirements are less in the EFL. The Championship is more than acceptable to cut your teeth and quite frankly it might be the toughest league in the world to play in with 46 matches, cut throat nature of divison, and the pressure to make the playoffs. Above all, while I don't think England has been kind to Yanks lately, Soto seems tailormade for england as a #9. He sort of remnds me of poor man's Jamie Vardy. In a nutshell, if Norwich survives Soto will be loaned out. If they are relegated, I think there's a good chance he earns a WP and stays.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I hate it.

Reminds me of the Emerson Hyndman situation. Young kid stars at U20 World Cup and after limited opportunity at his current club joins a lower end EPL team on a free. Good luck. The EPL is the last place in the world a young kid looking to cut his teeth in professional football should be looking to go. Even at the bottom end you will be competing with 5 million pound+ strikers.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Norwich are big on devolvement. It’s a good style for him and they have a good coach. It’s def a gamble but it’s interesting.

12. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Could be a good move. I'm less concerned about the team you're with than the level you eventually end up at.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, 4 of their top 10 appearance leaders this season are U-22. Doubting the Premier League for youth development is usually the right call, but Norwich is an exception.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    German coach that I believe worked under Klopp and was BVB II coach for a while. Nearly everyone on their roster has some sort of expreince in the Bundesliga or BLII. I assume that is the connection to Soto.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Championship WPs appear to be handed out very similarly to Premier League. The committee that decides the WP is an English FA body. Scotland handles their own which is why the standard is a bit lower. There's no way he's getting a WP on appeal, even if the club is in the Championship.

16. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Guess what? Norwich already has a guy on loan to SintTruidense VV. Could be a very real possibility that Soto reunites with Durkin in Belgium. Seems like that team will take occasional talent on loan. They have an Argentine from Inter right now.

17. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    So it becomes a situation where he either becomes eligible for a WP via National Team caps OR becomes so valuable Norwich is willing to pay him the high enough salary required to qualify for the work permit (there is a sliding scale number here).

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

He's loan army for the foreseeable future. I'm surprised they would do it for an unproven talent, but it's part of the gamble of signing players.

19. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    count me as fully hating this move. this is an agudelo sized mistake, my level of interest in him is now haji wright-ish.

mls would have been WAY better than this.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct and yea likely.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. Their gonna play youth but it still won’t be easy for him.

22. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He better set the league on fire wherever he ends being loaned too to play in 60% of Competitive Matches for the senior national team.

23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, the competition at forward for the USMNT isn't too stiff, but he'll have to do something substantial in a decent league to push past Altidore, Zardes, and Ferreira and take their caps (I'm assuming he's not bumping Sargent out of a spot), especially if we're talking about caps in WCQ.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the status of international matches at the moment? Food for thought....If there are no international matches to be had until 2021 the requirements / weighted system to obtain a WP in England might have to be adjusted. I think it would be unfair to essentially “penalize” an applicant for not having the required percentage of senior caps if there are no international matches because of COVID-19. Of course arguments could be made that said applicant wasn’t guaranteed senior caps to prior to COVID-19.

HScoach13 repped this.
  25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    If we're going to waive the normal percentage requirements, right now might be my best chance to apply.