Sebastian Soto at Austria Klagenfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Yup. Gotta get this move right.

2. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    He really has no business playing champions league football yet though. He has no track record and trying to get to England Championship, BL2 or maybe lower tier BL1 team is fine. You have to have some kind of track record to go anywhere above that I think and I dont Soto is ready for all that anyway. Mbappes dont grow on trees. He does look like a nice talent at this point though.

I think his best bet is just to stay pat and run out the contract. Then he can do what he wants.

Aaron Killough and DHC1 repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dortmund seems likely II 1st.

4. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The problem with running out the contract is that he might not play much because Hannover isn't going to focus on developing a player that leaves. He needs to move to someone that's actually interested in his future with them. BVB is a step too far imo, but there are plenty of other good BL1 and BL2 options.

onefineesq repped this.
  5. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Dortmund really need help at striker considering Goetze is not going to be taking a pay cut. The jury is out on Isak still even though he performed well for Willem. Then you have Alcacer entrenched probably.

I just dont see where have room for Soto unless Dortmund want to commit to him and I just wouldnt see them doing that with playing CL next season and trying to better their 2nd place finish. I would love to see Soto on my favorite team but I think Isak would deserve his shot first and Soto would likely go to Dortmund II first and then you have no clue if you will ever see Soto at that point. Boyamba had a decent season at Dortmund II as well and is fairly young too so you could he theoretically see him higher in that pecking order so they decide if they want to ship him out..

Playing striker for those bigger clubs can be great but not if you dont get any time. then you toil away until they sell you off.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Could it be about more than $$$? Like would Soto's agents want a guarantee of expected PT in the 2 Bundesliga?

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic made his CL debut as a 17 year old against Porto, a 2-0 win for BVB. That debut, at the end February, came a few weeks after his Bundesliga debut. At that point, CP had been in Germany about 10 months. Many of us were very surprised to see CP playing CL football. He proved us wrong. My point is..... Soto's pathway has been similar. He had to wait to sign with Hannover, lit up the youth leagues / reserve league, and made his Bundesliga debut within a short time frame. Like Pulisic, his trajectory is upward. I don't think he could walk right in - at say a BVB - and play in the CL but after some grooming and some league games under his belt, it would not surprise me to see him capable of playing in the CL.

8. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018

I dont know, you could always tell Pulisic was going to be good. I really havnt seen as much as Soto to make a comparison. Seems to me that we (US) have never really had a world class striker and Im not sure that Weah, Sargent or anyone else will become one. Id love to see it happen in my lifetime though. (obviously there arent many world class strikers just laying around either, i get that).

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a fair point. I just contend Soto is on the up-and-up and has a similar path as Pulisic in his German career. This next move / season are going to be crucial to seeing what he can or can't develop into.

Oh... IMO, there are only about 10 strikers that I would consider truly world class. The US may never have a truly world class striker. I just hope we develop one that is two or three steps above a Donovan, Dempsey, and a McBride. These things we could accomplish if we did.....................

LouisianaViking07/09 and DHC1 repped this.
  10. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Completely agree but we are likely 6 to 7 years away from that. We dont have an Mbappe or someone who is a teenager ready to dominate and frankly neither does anyone else I cant remember a single player like Mbappe that was ready to dominate so early in his career. I think he may end up being one of the greatest ever.

But we could have anyone of Soto, Sargent,Weah,

hell Kelman, Alfonso,Adebayo or Reynolds could be the next striker to mature at 25 and be a WC contributor.

I do think that our teenagers right now are better than 20 years ago and that bodes well for 2026, Im just not sure we will have the roster I would like to see in 2022. I like the 2026 chances better than 2022 and maybe I am wrong but this group still has too many holes that scare and I fear asking Weah Sargent or Soto to get those WC goals that are needed to advance at 22/23 years old is asking a lot in 2022.

LouisianaViking07/09 and m vann repped this.
  11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Couldn’t agree more. Spot on. We definitely have the same thoughts. 2026 WC on home solid with be huge. That really needs to be the WC in which we need to be contenders.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd be content with a QF finish.

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored a a cool, calm, and collected finish against the Frenchies. Maybe that increases his interest.....

14. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was beautiful

LouisianaViking07/09 and m vann repped this.
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strike that...... make it TWO cool, calm, and collected finishes against the Frenchies :D

Winoman, TxEx, Aaron Killough and 6 others repped this.
  16. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also beautiful [emoji7]

Winoman, Aaron Killough, Dr.Phil and 3 others repped this.
  17. dannd23

dannd23 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    that boy bout to get paid

sakibomb523, freisland, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  18. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Yeah he is performing very well. Very poised for his age. I think we are going to like this kid.

Get him up to the Senior team and lets what he can do.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No. Let him get more than 25 professional minutes first.

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fingers crossed....... but by the time the next set of US games (after the GC) roll around in October he should have a few more than 25 professional minutes. IIRC, those games are in the Nations League vs Cuba and Canada. If he's getting minutes at Hannover or elsewhere, it wouldn't shock me to see a call-up.

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lots of variables there. If he earns it, sure, but he is far from that right now.

We have a ton of promising players at the moment; there's no need to rush them all to the senior team at once.

wsmaugham and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt about that. He has to earn it but I see no reason he can't earn it especially if he's getting minutes at Hannover or elsewhere.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So, a Soto-Sargent partnership in 2022 or a Soto-Sargent-Weah attacking lineup?

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    2022 is a professional sports eternity away. Just enjoy the moment.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Soto working the resume with a nice summer internship.

Only highlights I've seen up yet; got to give kid credit for being a cool finisher.

(96 might have picked the wrong time to low-ball him...)