Sebastian Soto at Austria Klagenfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming he is this Trialist, he got at least half an hour in a 0-0 friendly:

freisland and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean he’s not going to turn into Klose, but we also don’t need to entirely write the kid off at 21. More than anything he needs a situation where he can play consistently right now.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  4. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Agreed, but it was still a funny comment and not entirely off point either.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Norwich have no use for him and he's been told that he can join anyone who'll have him, but he's got no takers so he's doing the footballing equivalent of casting calls.

He's been at Norwich for 2 seasons and on loan in Holland's D2, Portugal's D2 and the SPL, so it's not as if he's an unknown quantity any more: he's been well-scouted. He just hasn't impressed anyone.

6. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    This is where some need to buck up and accept things. Can‘t blame dumb MLS coaches and talent evaluators.

The kid just isn‘t showing enough. It‘s fair to ask if he would even make an impact in MLS.

His former US youth status would probably give him a legit chance here. Over there?
    Things are getting dim quick.

7. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I dont think his agent gave him the best advice when the PSV move didn't happen after the u 20 world cup, but also there have been rumors that Soto just doesn't have the best attitude or training mentality.

If you cannot get time at Livingston you need to look yourself in the mirror

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's early days and "he's still only 21", etc. but I'm not seeing anything that would lead to him being taken on by a League 1-to-Championship yo-yo side like Barnsley. And if that's the case, there's a real question mark over whether he'd survive in 2022's MLS.

TBH, I don't see that at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see him being picked up, but it's just that I could see him being loaned out to a USL side within 12 months. That he couldn't get PT at Livingstone can be explained, but not getting it at Porto B as well is more telling IMO

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This walkabout route doesn't suggest folks are very impressed either. Generally, as a young striker, even if you don't fit a certain team's needs, there's enough chatter that you get passed to someplace that will give you a chance. It's one thing to wander Europe while cashing a Chelsea check, it's another to appear to be showing up hat-in-hand at every lesser league over there. Having watched a little bit of him with the Us and the few games I did, he looked to have promise, but whatever he's doing at the moment is not working. Seems like the time in a career to take a step back, get a lot of game, and show your stuff. Needs to take a page out of Wright's book.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Let's do the half-full stuff people here like doing: at this point, Chile is no longer after him, so there's no pressure to play him.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt realize Barnsely went down. Its amazing, they were a couple games from the Premier League when Dike played there, now theyre in league 1

Martino2Buddle and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21 is plenty old enough to write off a player. It happens all the time.

russ, The Irish Rover and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His agent got him a contract at Norwich, so I think he did a damn fine job for a true stiff of a player.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    When Dike arrived there, they were in 12th place and - by points - closer to the relegation slots than to the playoffs IIRC.

Daryl didn't return and the coach, Valerien Ismael, moved to West Brom, where he signed/got West Brom to sign Daryl.

Last season was a disaster for Barnsley. They dropped into the relegation zone at the beginning of October and never got out, cycling through 3 coaches in the process.

16. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Well, write him off from achieving certain levels. There have simply been to many eyes on him and non seem enthused.

Even as Haji failed downward 3 teams were willing to play him. They saw something worthy of giving it a go.

We don’t see that here.

17. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The push for promotion was almost an anomaly as the season before the only reason Barnsley wasn't relegated then was due to a point deduction to Wigan due to going into administration.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  18. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they lost executive Dane Murphy (former UVA player) to Forest and what do you know he gets them to the playoffs too and of course promoted.

The Irish Rover and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Great, Dane!

russ, The Irish Rover and twoolley repped this.
  20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's always seemed like a real stiff to me. Even at the U20 World Cup, his mobility was poor in comparison to the youth opposition. That was a bad sign for success against adults. Haji at least always had the physical tools to succeed.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

BostonRed and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Was it you who said Soto was a Richie L creation? Whoever did looks pretty astute right now.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, I didn't know much about Soto other than that he tore it up at RSL before moving to Europe (can't even remember his first move at this point). I do recall watching the entire U20 WC when he played and not being impressed. He just seemed to have a lack of mobility/stiffness compared to the other guys on the field that left me with questions, despite his decent ability to finish chances. He's pretty much the opposite of the modern forward who can press that teams want these days.

The Irish Rover and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You guys are making me nostalgic for the days when forwards were judged in large part on their ability to finish.

25. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    When a forward doesn‘t finish they are finished.