Seb Hines

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by JuanPeron, Jul 19, 2007.

1. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old is he?

3. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's an '88 so that would make him 19

4. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Another sign that US soccer has really grown. In the past, I would have screamed for this guy to be immediately capped. But we are so deep across the back right now that I find myself only moderately interested in getting this kid into the US fold. My how times change...

5. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Agreed. I've always said that US soccer will have arrived when we can say the same things that Argentina or Brazil says: "Just because he's a starter for [Big Club X] doesn't mean he's US International material."

We're still a long ways off from that, of course. If Hines plays this year and DeMerit and Simek stay in the CCC, Bocanegra and Spector struggle for time, and Onyewu continues to disappoint, Seb will have chances.

6. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I looked him up on Wiki, they have this guy listed as a Englishman born in Leeds, England. Am I missing something, is he a Yank? Why we talking about him here?

7. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you go to the link in the first post and read down to the last paragraph, Hines mentions that he is still eligible to play for the US and has been called into one US national camp. He has appeared for English youth teams on several occasions.

Based on this interview, he is still contemplating playing for the US.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    read the article... I think one of his parents may be a US citizen

9. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm.... interesting. He sounds like he would play for either national side, just whichever one invites him first. I'm sure we'll blow it.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol... I laugh to hide the sorrow, I agree we will find someway to blow it... especially since Terry, King, Rio, the fake retired Carragher and many others are in a better position than him and are still in their mid 20s... and yet when he turns 21 the US will not have made an offer

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! This sounds good. Maybe we can boost the # of posts to leave Rossi in the dust. No, really. A versatile back who can play anywhere and is deemed, by several coaches, to be Prem quality? I hope BB has at least knocked on Hine' door and said hello. Maybe Brad, the Enforcer, should drop by for a chat.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    As an '88, I don't think he has been brought in since the previous U-17 cycle and I guess he didn't want to commit to the team at that point. I believe Rongen was aware of him, too, but I suppose he's still playing it cool. (Don't think he was ever actually named to a U-20 camp during this cycle.)

If he really is a promising player, I would think bringing him into a U-23 camp might be smart. That is a really impressive group we have there.

13. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    We should call him in for the next U-23 camp......im sure he will be empressed w/ this group of players( Adu, Edu, Altidore, Spector, Simek) etc...

We are probably better than England in this age group, if u ask me.

14. rebel77fl

rebel77fl Member

Dec 19, 2003
    I think Rongen wanted to bring him in, but Hines was wanting to join England's U19 team in May and got snubbed. Interesting that he brings up the US/England eligibility in the article now. The only place left to bring him in is with the U23 team. He plays a position where they are thin with Spector, Sturgis and Ianni as the best players, but then college players or non-playing pros behind them. The tough thing for Hines is to get a look, he will need playing time but then Boro might not release him for qualifying and do you bring him into the olympic team without any experience with the team? It would be nice if he was at the same level or higher as Spector/Sturgis because then you could possibly move Spector outisde possibly or at least improve the depth.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Do U-23 and Olympic caps count with FIFA as picking a country for dual-nationality players?

16. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd guess that U-23 caps count, but Olympic caps don't because the Olympics aren't a FIFA event. (Un)educated guess.

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Olympics were considered an official FIFA event, part of their four world championships (the U-23 bit). Anyway.

It's getting pretty damn difficult to track all these Americans over there.

18. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are. My (un)educated guess was, well, just plain wrong. In fact, here's a link to FIFA's site on the Olympic tournament in Beijing 2008.

19. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Is this guy any good? What are the chances he becomes a premier league regular this year?

If he is actually a good player, then the US should pay close attention...we aren't that heavy on young CB prospects...

If he's not any good, well...

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    You are retarded!

We need to get this kid into the U-23's ASAP!

He could only play sparingly for England because of the depth they have at CB, but he could be a star for us.

21. BarefootWonder11

BarefootWonder11 New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Tennessee
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sebastian could help in the defense. If he is interested and England has no intention of calling him up if the near future what harm could it to do try to swing him our way. Even if england do want him we should still try to persuade him. He deserves at least an U-23 call up!!!

He scored for middlesbrough reserves on September 9th
    He plays reserves and full team.

(His dad is african-american)