Seattle Team Anthem

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Macksam, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Do you guys have one yet?

2. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Yeah, we've had it for quite some time, like since the '70s. Salute to the Olympians, written, and performed by, multi-grammy and acadamy award winner Henry Mancini.

3. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Awesome.

4. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    We also sing Perry Como's "Seattle".:cool:

5. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. footballer7883

footballer7883 New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle
    Ok, I know I'm about to get ripped a new one, but I'm not a huge fan of our theme song. To me it sounds like some music that you might hear over the P.A. while you're waiting in line for a ride at Disney Land...in 1974.

I've been to loads of games and have heard it over the loud speaker and it just doesn't get me fired up about the Sounders.

I can respect the history behind it, thats great. But for pumping me up about the team, it just falls flat.

Now, if someone were to write some lyrics that had some bite to 'em, MAYBE I could be convinced...

7. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's room for more, or another, or an update. Still, "Sounders" needs to be played some of the time, at some point, on match nights.

8. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Agreed. Besides, how do you improve over music by one of the 5 most influential musicians/composers of the 20th century?

9. footballer7883

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle
    Just because a great artist makes mediocre music doesn't make it amazing.

How many Grammy's did Micheal Jackson earn? That doesn't mean his late stuff was worth a damn.

Now I'm not opposed to having the Anthem played OCCASIONALLY, but I certainly think we are all creative enough to add to the list or perhaps write some clever lyrics for it.

10. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    That song, and the rest of the songs on that album (Visions of Eight) were written for the IOC, and were used at the '72 Munich Games. Originally, they were to be the "official" score for the IOC, like the John Williams composition they use, now. Because of the negative memories most have for the '72 games, the IOC dumped everything they licensed for them, including the music. Except for that one incident, we would likely still be hearing "Salute to the Olympians" on TV, every two years, instead of at Sounders matches.

11. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    While I think it should stick around, I do not think it needs to be overdone.

12. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I love it, and you tube does not do it justice, nor does the PA. But when All City fires it up during Torchlight or some other function, the hair on my neck stands up and I get goosebumps. I say wait until Drew's marching band has had some time with it before you pass judgement on what is played over the speakers.

13. footballer7883

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle
    I'll give Drew's Boys a chance.

14. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pearl Jam's Alive. I would prefer TFC adopting it, but I doubt that will happen.

15. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think "Seattle" is primo.

16. BorussiaUSA

BorussiaUSA New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Seattle
    I hate the band idea. You don't see it anywhere else but here, but I guess if it is with us we have to make the best of it.

17. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then become a member of the Fan Association and see if it can be brought up in the vote. Now personally if done right I think it will be just fine, marching bands tend to go hand in hand with American collegiate sports. The atmosphere at American collegiate sports is the closest thing we have to global soccer atmosphere. Maybe the band will help some of that dancing in the stands atmosphere that is so readily on display at Cameron Indoor, The Kennel, The Swamp, Death Valley, Camp Randall, et al....

18. BorussiaUSA

BorussiaUSA New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Seattle
    I'm a season ticket holder and I seriously can't wait until I can vote them off. The problem is, we aren't trying to create a "collegiate football" atmosphere. We are trying to create the European atmosphere. In Europe the extent to any type of band is either only a drum, and the occasional trumpet at certain clubs. It's just so fake, like it seems we are trying to hard to make noise. More often than not, the band will be hard to work with when trying to do chants as well. Not a lot of the chants are real "band" material. I suppose it could work, but not to the extent that Drew is envisioning it to work.

19. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to create a European atmosphere????? God I hope not. Seattle is not a European city and "trying" to be European is posing. Let the game-day experience evolve naturally. The band will probably play before the game, at the half and afterwards. I'd rather have the band motivate the crowd as opposed to "canned" "everybody clap there hands" crap. ECS will do their stuff and perhaps their enthusiasm will motivate others to join in. The last thing we need to "try" and be is European. Leave that for Europe.

20. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind missed a post deleted scathing reply

21. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So honestly are you from the US or Germany? Do you watch college football or basketball, or more to the point do you attend? Does it seem fake to you there? If you don't attend college hoops or football games you have nothing to base your opinion on other than you like how Europe is presented in terms of club support. The thing with the band is that Americans grow up going to schools that have bands that are an integral part of the atmosphere for the schools games. This typically starts in high school but can start in junior high depending on where in the US you live. Have you ever been to a pep rally where a band was not present? The band rarely leads in chanting or cheering but does things to augment it. A steady drum beat, an occassional brass interjection, the periodic fight song. That type of support is organic, and is what the majority of American grow up with.

22. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's one right way. I prefer a chanting and singing atmosphere but am more than willing to give the band a try. If we can work with the band then all the better.

23. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    As long as the band works with the supporters, I think it can work.
    I don't think the supporters should be taking cues from them.

24. BorussiaUSA

BorussiaUSA New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Seattle
    lol. I go to UW so you didn't have to explain that all to me. Here is your problem with the Drum beat, we normally already have a drummer with the ECS, and I have spent almost the entire season this season with them, is that we don't need forty drummers doing the same thing. Also on a side note being a supporter is something totally different than singing a fight song. You can't compare the two.

25. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Do we know where in the stadium the band will reside? Do you think that Anfield or Estadio Azteca have a lone drummer during matches? Somehow I don't think the additional drum or two in the band will overshadow the ECS. [sarcasm]I would also expect that since the band will be filled with musicians they will be able to keep a drum beat, such that if the ECS has a steady beat going the band will find someway to synchronize with them. [/sarcasm]

In the end I think we have a different take on how to get to a festive atmosphere but I think we both agree that we want a good atmosphere at the match. So lets agree to disagree about the band.