Seattle Sounders Stadium

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by BLG, Jul 17, 2002.

1. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    i made myself the same question...

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American football fields normally are raised in the middle, that is, they have a crown that runs down the center of the field, lengthwise, that aids runoff in the event of heavy rain.

Soccer pitches are perfectly flat.

A narrow pitch (commonly the case when soccer is played on a surface designed for American football) combined with a crown makes the playing surface play even narrower than it really is since, in essence, passes to the sidelines are always going slightly downhill. If the playing surface is an artificial one that plays faster than grass, it makes the situation even worse.

3. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Ah..ok, so does the 8" crown on this field make a big difference, will it affect the quality of play in your opinion?

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I would say that since every MLS field except maybe Columbus (I think it's crowned also actually) has a crown, I doubt it. 8" on a regulation sized pitch is nothing.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    All MLS stadia have crowns. And the players have adjusted. RFK had a crown in the 1994 World Cup, so FIFA obviously doesn't have a problem with it.

Sachin

6. Geoduck

Geoduck Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Nothing new in the following commentary, but I wonder why the only decent columnist with integrity around here writes for the Tacoma paper. The 2 Seattle papers are shills for Paul Allen and the stadium.

http://www.tribnet.com/news/local/story/1642177p-1759068c.html

Paul Allen asks for more credit than deserved for buying Hawks
    Peter Callaghan; The News Tribune (Tacoma, WA); August 22nd, 2002

7. pugetsoundmls

pugetsoundmls New Member

Oct 6, 2000
    Seattle
    Since I didn't read about this crown thing until after the Vancouver game, it didn't even enter my mind. I was more or less focusing on how the FieldTurf played, along with being mesmerized by Vancouver's lack of possesion.:D

Following the game, players spoke glowingly of the turf. Not surprising considering the concrete they normally play on.

8. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    Here's a recent article from the Eastside/South County Journal: http://www.eastsidejournal.com/sited/story/html/102833

The Sounders had hoped to play their playoff games in the Seahawks stadium, but scheduling difficulties make that impossible. Talks are proceeding at a slow pace about playing next season in the stadium (interested Sounders fans should fill out the survey at http://www.seattlesounders.net/stadiuminterest.asp).

The Sounders are also pursuing the option of a SSS at the Midway landfill site.

9. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    An artificial pitch needs to have a slope of less than 1% to be certified as indicated here. Over 30m, that's .3m or about 11.8".

10. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    the sounders play in memorial isn't it?????

wich is the capacity of that stadium???

i know that sounders might want to play in the new seahawks stadium next season... the prices will be around 130 - 325 bucks... a little expensive for an A-League match isnt' it???

11. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    Memorial has a capacity of 13,000, I think, but they only open one grandstand, so it's half that for Sounders matches.

Current season ticket prices are $130 for GA and $195 for reserved seats with discounts for youth and seniors.

12. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    well i think that thi is a little high....... really...

13. pugetsoundmls

pugetsoundmls New Member

Oct 6, 2000
    Seattle
    For the lowest price range, that averages out to less than $10/game. That's a great deal, at least here in Seattle, considering what tickets cost to major league sports these days. Add the benefit that those games might be in a stadium far nicer than what the team now has.

14. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    well i don't understand anything... I've read that the tickets will go at a $130-$300+ range...

and now pugetsoundmls says that the tickets will be at $10... please, explain this thing because i should be an idiot...

15. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nacional,

The proposed price for season tickets next year in the new stadium is $130-$325. A season ticket is one ticket that allows you to go to all games for the season. The A-League season includes 14 home games.

So the proposed price for season tickets breaks down to less than $10-per-game at the low end and less than $25-per-game at the high end.

Season tickets might also include any US Open Cup games, and maybe a playoff game or two, which means an even lower price-per-game.

Hope that explains things.

- Paul

16. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Personally, I still think it's too expensive. I can go to a Mariner's game for 6 bucks out in centerfield or 12 bucks out in left field. That's to watch a team that is at the top professional level, unlike the Sounders. I just can't justify to myself why I should pay 4 or so dollars more to go see a team that doesn't compete at the highest level and plays on fake grass vs. seeing one of the best teams play at the highest level in a superb facility (I'm still not sold at Seahawk Stadium as being a good venue for the Sounders, especially if they continue to only bring in 5,000 or so a game) (at least until they go on strike, after that, MLB doesn't exist to me).

17. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    cheap bastard..

;)

well... I'm really an idiot... i thought that the $130 price will be for an ONLY match for the sounders...

well you can call me an idiot now

18. BlueLightning

BlueLightning New Member

Sep 7, 1999
    pesto of all cities
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd get a better view of the game from a $10 seat at a Sounders game at Seahawks Stadium than you'd get of the game from a $6/$12 seat at a Mariners game at Safeco Field.

19. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think $10 a match is that outrageous. Basically the cost of a movie, although the concessions are certainly cheaper than the movies!!

As for baseball, to each his/her own, but if someone offered me a free baseball ticket v. having to pay my own way to the footy, I choose footy, hands-down. In fact, I've done that on more than one occasion this year :)

And yes, the footy doesn't go on strike unlike those multi-zillionaire babies who can't seem to realize what ELSE do you need to buy when you're making so much $$$ to begin with???

20. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, baseball fans are so damn comotose at games, only cheer when they're told to, and constantly chatting on their mobile phones :(

21. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    I think I've seen some of them sleeping in there....

i like baseball.. but only when Edgar Rentería plays (league champion with the Floirida Marlins, now playing with St Luis Cardinals)...

22. pugetsoundmls

pugetsoundmls New Member

Oct 6, 2000
    Seattle
    Hey Nacional,

How about Luis Castillo? He's better than Renteria.

The problem with some of the fans in Seattle is that they don't know much about Mariners baseball pre-95. For those of us who've stuck by the team through the lean years, times are certainly good.

So, looks like no playoff games in Seahawks Stadium for the Sounders...?

23. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    who is him???? where is he from?????.... he is colombian too??? i don't know....

24. pugetsoundmls

pugetsoundmls New Member

Oct 6, 2000
    Seattle
    My fault, I thought he was Colombian, upon further review, he's from the DR (at least that's what a friend of mine says). He's second baseman for the Marlins. I think he was an All-Star this year, including a 30+ game hit streak earlier this season. He's been a solid player for a few seasons now.

25. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Starting to look like no playoff games at Safeco for the Mariners too. Will Garcia come out of his coma in time? Will the A's ever lose again? Starting to look iffy for the M's at best you have to admit.