Seattle Sounders Stadium

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by BLG, Jul 17, 2002.

1. BLG

BLG Member

May 13, 2000
    Moses Lake, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Seahawks have their stadium with the plastic grass. I keep reading possibilities of the Sounders getting a facility. There were some great links to Seattle newspaper stories in the past. Can anyone add to those?

2. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same stadium as the Seahawks will use. The Sounders will open the place later this month.

It has Fieldturf and lower bowl capacity is about 30K.

3. BLG

BLG Member

May 13, 2000
    Moses Lake, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love this:

... Shawn Springs of the Seahawks was leading a youth group on a stadium tour. While at the south end of the field, a ball rolled toward him. He dribbled it back up toward the Sounders' practice and kicked it back into play -- but declined an invitation to join the team. ``You don't get paid enough, and you run too much,'' he said with a big grin.

4. splinterhead

splinterhead Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Beaver, PA
    What is the Sounders' average attendance? Is it possible for an A-League team to afford rent in a brand new NFL stadium? Is anyone going to the game against the Whitecaps? Will MLS notice if they can pull it off?

5. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The average attendance is around 2,000. :( If you saw the Sounders play at home against Calgary on Fox Sports World this weekend, you will have noticed that Memorial Stadium has a narrow astro-turf field with permanent football lines. Just this season have I convinced myself that I should attend more than a couple games despite the ugly ugly ugly pinball-variety of soccer that takes place on that ugly ugly ugly field. I think a lot of fans stay away (as I did for many seasons) because of the current field even though Memorial Stadium itself is in a great location in Seattle Center right under the Space Needle.

The Sounders might be able to get a break in rent at the new stadium from Paul Allen, but who knows. I highly doubt that they can afford to rent the stadium out at normal prices. I have heard that the Sounders are planning to use the big stadium for playoff games.

Does anyone have an information on how much Memorial Stadium currently costs to rent? And maybe some idea of how much the new stadium may cost to rent? It would be nice to do some kind of cost analysis. Even though the new stadium is huge, the quality of the playing surface would be a huge upgrade and I would encourage the move out of Memorial because of that ... if it is affordable.

I am going to the game against the Whitecaps at the new stadium. I am not sure how much of an attendance boost will take place. I bet it will be more than 2,000 people, though. :)

- Paul

6. Mark Coker

Mark Coker Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Seattle,WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard third-hand that they've sold over 13k for the opening match at Seahacks Stadium, and expect it to break 20k.

7. dawgcatching

dawgcatching New Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Northwest
    Flounders Suck

We get 3 times the fans. Go Timbers!

8. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Re: Flounders Suck

And you win fook all.

9. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I watched that Sounders Calgary game. First of all, just how bad is Calgary. They looked just putrid. Second, how wide is the field at Memorial and why not turn it into a grass pitch? Yes, yes, I know that costs money - but several A-League teams have great fields. MN's stadium is in an awful location, but the turf on the field is absolutely superb. Memorial Stadium could be a sweet venue if there was real grass there.

10. Mark Coker

Mark Coker Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Seattle,WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The stadium is owned by the Seattle School District. The Sounders merely get to write them checks for its use. And supposedly it's one of the more oppressive rents in the league.

2. And yes Memorial would be sweet. In a perfect world, the Sounders would buy the stadium and turn it into a great facility. It would have both a good size and a good location.

11. GR8ftblr

GR8ftblr Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Depends
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vot the Portland Timbers fore MLS! Yea, like I really wanna see a 3/4 empty stadium in Seattle and field turf.....see Cardinal Stadium....

12. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calgary is BAD. One win in like 18 matches.

Seattle School District were supposed to have put in FieldTurf this year, but backed out at the last minute (postponing it till next year). This is why Sounders played 12 of their first 15 on the road and why no home games from mid-may until the end of June.

13. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Flounders Suck

3 times the fans disguised as comp's, giveaways and no-shows reported as actual attendance.

Oh, and like all Portland teams, you always win *************** all :D

14. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds an awful lot like PGE park with the 3/4 empty seats and the "other" kind of fakegrass

15. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    How many more of you are going to post about FieldTurf without having a fricking clue as to what it is? Believe me, FieldTurf blows away the crap at Philly, Naperville & PGE which are completely different and inferior products.

Go to http://www.fieldturf.com

16. GR8ftblr

GR8ftblr Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Depends
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I have played on field turf. It does play much better than traditional turf. It has a much truer bounce and feel. You can also wear regular studs on it. But, bottom line is, why play on turf when the climate will tolerate grass? Why play in a huge football stadium when this is not the direction mls is headed? Turf will never be better than a quality grass pitch!

17. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    Some would say that grass in Seattle (and Portland, for that matter) is just a precursor to mud. Well, bollocks to that, as if anyone ever tried...

What I'm hearing from other places, and seeing around the Northwest where already installed, is a different matter. To make a stadium viable, you need dates. FieldTurf eventually gets matted down, and eventually plays too hard. My understanding (the rumor mill, something definitely worth questioning) is that long-term reports reaching USSF are not that favorable. Furthermore, if you're sharing with gridball, the lines don't wash off. Whomever here has been selling FieldTurf should be wary.

You know, the Timbers may win **** all, play on crap (if slightly better than Memorial), and have had padded crowds the first year, but we still draw paid crowds at more than double your take. We appreciate your modesty.

18. pugetsoundmls

pugetsoundmls New Member

Oct 6, 2000
    Seattle
    Actually, as Delta posted many times on this thread pre-crash, the FieldTurf in Seattle does allow for the washing off, and repainting, of lines. Frankly, there may not be many soccer games in there so it probably won't matter.

While its been great seeing various Sounders on the local news the past week or so with regard to the Open Cup and the opening of the stadium, they really could have done a better job of plugging soccer's case. I've only seen Sawatzky say that artificial turf of any kind basically sucks and that grass needs to be in any soccer stadium. Granted, I figure the players are basically just doing what they're told. Be positive about the stadium, thankful, happy to be a part of it, etc.

Another article about the Sounders, Seahawks Stadium and MLS.

Soccer makes its pitch-Seattle P.I.

19. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why don't they just install grass in the new stadium -- surely grass technology has improved -- better drainage, durability, etc. If the Seattle stadium builders included soccer in the deal, then there should be natural grass (it is as simple as that)... otherwise including soccer in the package was a big joke!

20. Mark Coker

Mark Coker Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Seattle,WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how Sawatzky feels after last Wendesday's match. Seattle would likely be in the round of eight of the Cup had they been playing on an artificial surface (or a well-maintained grass one).

Let's not also forget that First and Goal has advertising all over the Sounders' matches. Can't say bad things about the sponsors, can we?

IMO, the reason they don't is that Paul Holmgren, Seahacks coach and GM doesn't want it, but I don't think he's ever explained why. But in Seattle he doesn't have to explain himself. He's the 800-pound gorilla in all this. He'll get exactly what he wants.

They performed a "bait-and-switch", pure and simple.

They was even a "soccer person" on the approval board (Fred Mendoza). He wound up voting in favor of Field Turf because, to paraphrase him, it would give an opportunity to host more high school, college, and youth matches in the stadium (I'm not going to hold my breath). The only person who voted against Field Turf (Benson Fong), did so because to paraphrase wellington "it wasn't in the deal."

Had I known it was going to be some non-natural variant, I would have definitely voted NO. And I like Field Turf..I've played on it a couple of times in my men's division. It's just not the right stuff for the top flight of our sport.

21. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The crazy thing is that the Seahawks will only be using the stadium for 8 home games.

22. pugetsoundmls

pugetsoundmls New Member

Oct 6, 2000
    Seattle
    This is a crazy town. Two more preseason games and about 2 college football games a season (one WSU, one bowl).

Mark, true to what you said. The bad bounces Sawatzky got made me ill.

Spent some time on the FieldTurf this weekend during the open house. It was pretty slick, literally. I imagine once it gets some use, that slickness will go away.

23. YTFC

YTFC New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    We visited the Seahawk Stadium, wearing my England shirt, when a gentleman approached us. He began asking me what I thought about the new surface for soccer. I noticed he was wearing an access badge with the Seahawk logo on it. I took that opportunity to tell him that except for the fact that this surface is not FIFA-approved, it was great.

It was then that he went into "salesman" mode. He said "FIFA was behind the times." Well, whether or not FIFA are behind the times, they are the governing body for football. We in the football community for better or worse have to answer to FIFA. The NFL don't have to answer to anyone regarding their rules (perhaps the television networks).

It was then that he introduced himself as the play-by-play announcer for the Seahawks...and was formerly the play-by-play guy for Chicago Fire until mid-00.

I was hoping that I could buy tickets to next Sunday's Sounders match at the new stadium. Didn't see any obvious sales presence...I didn't miss it, did I? Wouldn't be the first time that they missed a good opportunity...