Seattle in MLS 2009

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mellon002, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinsellagem

kinsellagem Member

Apr 27, 2004
    UK
    I think this is great news!

2. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm tired of arguing about it. MLS in Seattle is a very good thing. I just hope everything works out logistically.

Good luck to Seattle and grats to the fans that have supported them for so long. We may not see eye to eye on all the details, but Seattle is a perfect city for an MLS team.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome news! What's the 16th shoe to drop? Yes, I have no patience.

4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be happy once I hear of the stadium plans that are a go...

5. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as there is plans for a SSS, great news. The Pacific NW could use an MLS franchise. If they plan on simply using Qwest indefinately, then I'm quite disappointed.

6. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the feeling there are going to be some seriously disappointed :( (or pissed off :mad:) fans in either Philly or St. Louis pretty soon. Congrats to Seattle....that would be a great road trip for anybody--the area up there is beautiful.

7. kinsellagem

kinsellagem Member

Apr 27, 2004
    UK
    I agree one of them is gonna be pissed off but probably only for a year.

I reckon

2009 - Seattle & St Louis
    2010 - Philly & ????

8. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This certainly will take off some sting from Garber's "You have to have an SSS built or advanced plans for one before getting a franchise". At least in San Jose there is some discussion with the city and a potential stadium site near the airport. In Seattle: nothing. Maybe they managed to keep SSS plans in Seattle hush hush, but if you need any kind of help from the local government, this news would have gotten out.

As far as QWest field being a feasible long-term venue...don't get me started on that ridiculous idea.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Considering Garber's been pushing Kraft to get a SSS for the Revs, I can't see Qwest being a long term solution for Seattle.

10. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Congratulations to to Seattle. Great to see the league have a presence in the Northwest. Its a beautiful city and has a very good history with the sport. I know this annoys Sounders fans but I will be very dissappointed if the final stadium solution there is Qwest. That would be a major mistake by MLS.

11. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I like those picks, I would hope to see Portland fill the gap. Portland has a strong fan base and a built rivalry with Seattle . . . and of course a strong supporters section.

Beyond that, maybe Vancouver and Montreal would probably be high on "my" list, but only after St. Louis, Philadelphia and Portland.

I'd like to see a team in the southeatern US, but I'm just not reading a whole lot about that area outside the typical "expansion list", certainly nothing like we've read about the 3 cities listed above.

12. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Szetella is doing great at Lazio.

I'll believe it when I see it.

13. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong, but suspending operations in 2008 doesn't really make much sense to me. It would give the team a chance to build support and develop a roster throughout the 2008 season. To avoid salary issues in 2008 in USL they could sign players to contracts that are back-loaded with salary incentives that begin after the 2008 season. Doesn't look like there is any official word on a stadium plan. I guess we can probably expect an official announcement at MLS cup.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the likelyhood of local governments in the Seattle being willing to help being pretty low, there's a good chance there isn't a publicly funded plan in the works.

15. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...or Roma. I concur with you. I'll believe it when there's an official announcement.

16. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Damn It!! Just when we were getting away from the corny team names, MLS brings back "Earthquakes" and "Sounders". I really hope they're not called Sounders. Emerald City is so class. I thought we were goin in the right direction with FC Dallas and Toronto FC. Guess not. Good to see Seattle get a team though. I am a little surprised. I thought Philly and St. Louis were next.

On the topic of a stadium, it would have to be a retractable roof style dome right? Kind of like the Cleveland plans?

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emerald City is soooo not going to happen.

18. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Why do you say?

19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is slightly more than a discussion. The city has three different groups of people working on the stadium proposal at this time. It has been characterized by the guy in charge as "going gangbusters", and "no glitches so far".

20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there is no way that the team will not have "Seattle" in the name.

21. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promotion for being in the USL Finals ;)

22. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%.

23. burninator

burninator Member

Aug 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Now I will have two teams to root for: RSL and Seattle. I hope the Seattle jersey looks good...oh, as said elsewhere, the road tripping will be awesome. Seattle is an amazing city!

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess we'll agree to disagree, as I think slapping an "FC" on everything is as corny as corny can get.