Seating announcement

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by bbarrie, Dec 2, 2004.

1. bbarrie

bbarrie New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Charleston, SC
    just got this from the powers that be:

Dear D.C. United Planholder,

We would like to update all of our loyal fans with the most recent information from the D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission with regard to Major League Baseball coming to RFK Stadium next April and how this will affect the seating areas for D.C. United matches.

While details on the exact seating manifest have not yet been completely finalized, we now have a better idea of which sections will be affected by this new baseball/soccer configuration at RFK.** Based on recent conversations with the Sports Commission, it is expected that we will retain the majority of our sideline seating.

The old rail-based system originally installed at RFK that supports the stands opposite the team benches (East side of the stadium) is going to be

re-activated to once again make that part of the stadium movable, and capable of being re-positioned from a baseball configuration to a soccer configuration in a relatively short turnaround time.** The re-activation of that rail system will allow D.C. United to continue to offer prime sideline seating to our fans.

The use of the rail system however will mean the loss of a sizeable number of seats behind the North goal.** Additionally there will be some smaller areas affected by other conversion issues.** We will be contacting planholders directly regarding these affected areas to arrange for alternative seating for the 2005 season.

Again, this is preliminary information with exact details expected from the Sports Commission over the next few weeks.** We will send out another notice with final definitive information as soon as details are confirmed and we will contact you directly if your seats are in affected areas.

Additionally, we continue to meet with the Sports Commission and the stadium project managers to determine a final solution for converting the baseball infield for our matches.** We will pass on information related to these plans as they come further into focus.

We hope to make these next couple of seasons with our co-tenants, the Washington Nationals, as pleasurable as possible for our fans. We value your continued support and looked forward to seeing you again at RFK Stadium in 2005.** Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns regarding the baseball/soccer seating issue and we will help to answer them accordingly.** Thank you.

Sincerely,

The Management of D.C. United

good for the bouncers, bad for the TP tossers, but what are the "smaller areas affected by other conversion issues" ... anyone been contacted re: this?

2. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This had been broken earlier in the Barra Brava sub-forum.

SZack and co did a great job if this announcement is realized. As much as I appreciate that effort, I believe in duality so I am now waiting for the other foot to fall regarding how to convert the infield to a grass pitch. I am hoping for a woderful announcement, but I'm not holding my breath.

I am very happy that the barracudas will be jumping in '05!

GM

3. bbarrie

bbarrie New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Charleston, SC
    This is why the sub-forums suck... some of us don't browse over there.

4. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Well, we knew LaNorte would take a hit for the new visitors dugout. I hope it is just a couple of rows like the home side. Great to hear the bouncing stands will remain. Still wanting to hear the solution to the infield. BTW, don't let the term fool you. When they had the "infield" marked at the celebration it went all the way to the center circle. Ugh!

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The entire section behind the goal (where the sideline seats will commute to/from) will be a gaping hole.

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We already had one side behind the goal a gaping hole and we survived so maybe it won't be so bad.

7. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be like the early season matches a few years ago (after baseball had a couple game @RFK). Overall, I don't think it's so bad. Maybe the least disruptive solution. And I commend the DC Untied negotiation team in getting this for us.

But La Norte and the rest of the fans in that region will be 'taking one for the team' for a couple of seasons.

8. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I'm sure this is great news to Tony Meola.

9. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just think it means that La Norte and assorted other northern denizens need to immediately embark on an offseason training regimen in order for the TP, donuts, and other assorted pastries can still land in, on and around the goal after being launched from the corners.

10. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Or Jonny Walker. He might actually be able to use toilet paper for the first time in awhile.

11. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was told some seats in the 200 level will need to be removed to be made accessible for wheelchairs (so maybe this is what this means).

K

12. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Well as long as those of us in those areas can move closeby, shouldn't be a big problem. Or maybe I can convince my girlfriend to stand next year...

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I wonder if this means they'll open the upper deck next season?

14. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Good question. I bet it might depend on the expected attendance for the given game. They may not want to downsize to a "capacity" of under 20,000, but for the average game where the crowd does not reach that level, opening the upper deck doesn't really help them and means that they have to spend a lot more for staffing.

15. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an aside, I think it's unfair that the team releases information about the stadium configuration, and Gomez re-signing on the equipment sale day.

We get to light up this forum for 24-48 hours on these three topics and then not have squat for the next four weeks.

16. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Also baseball will be using the upper deck facilities as well, so any infrastructure needed up there will be maintained (well as DCSEC defines it). I think United got a break on their lease by telling DCSEC that they were not going to use it at all, so nothing needed to be kept operational.

17. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I was told they will have the option if they want to/need to use the upper deck. While I can appreciate the view from up there, I really like a packed lower bowl.

K

18. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Oh hell no. If anything, we're gonna be 10 times worse than ever. I am enraged at this development, and I'll be damned if any enemy keeper is gonna rest easier because we weren't there to abuse them. Fatass will still get his recommended daily serving of donuts, and Red-Label Boy will look like a goddamned mummy by the time we're done with him.

19. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    I was saddened to hear of LaNorte's plight... :(

I hope that your new digs will lend themselves to many more successes and moons from distracted and angry keepers..ohh and throw Tony a coconut donut for me :D

20. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    There used to be temporary stands that went in the area behind the South Goal for Redskins games (and were in place for the 97 final and the '96 USA-Portugal Olympic match). I'm guessing those will come back and something similar will be put behind the North goal as well.

This might actually make the atmosphere at RFK better

21. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    There won't be any temporary stands.

Like someone said, we'll be taking one for the team.

I can't wait for our new stadium.

On the plus side, I got some encouraging news about the stadium. Nothing concrete, but that things are moving well, albeit under the radar.

Sachin

22. bbarrie

bbarrie New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Charleston, SC
    Bear in mind that the north side isn't going to be a mirror image of the south side. When the stands slide around, there will still be some seats that are a little bit behind the end line, i think. You'll still be able to taunt Fat Tony, but you should probably start working on that throwing arm now.

23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

I think the best bet will be if and when Bo comes to town. You could put La Norte a mile away from that guy and he would still piss himself with rage.

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I have a feeling Bo will pull a hammy right before the United game next year.

Sachin

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SZack said there will be no endzone seating like there was post-Olympics