Seasonal Attendance 2002

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kasai, Aug 29, 2002.

1. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    As of 8/29/02 this is how the MLS attendance stands. I know some of the averages are weighted by big July 4 crowds, but that is what marketing is all about. This information is taken directly from MLSNET.com

1) Colorado - 20,938
    2) NY/NJ - 18,423
    3) LA - 17,828
    4) DC - 16,868
    5) NE - 16,751
    6) Columbus - 16,427
    7) Dallas - 13,179
    8) Chicago - 12,475
    9) KC - 11011
    10) SJ - 9,591

Six teams in MLS have good attendance. Two others are not bad and considering Chicago's stadium situation, their attedance is definitely respectable. The other two teams are absolute jokes when it comes to attendance. Both KC and SJ are not supporting their teams for a multiple of reasons. A lot has to do with marketing and some has to do with their stadiums. With LA's stadium coming on line next year and Chicago moving back into Soldier stadium in 2004 the league's attendance average should continue to increase a bit. If the league can somehow improve attendance in SJ and KC, I believe getting the league average above 16k should be no problem.

Marketing is a huge part of selling tickets in the US and the league must do a better job. In San Diego before the current ownership group arrived the Padres were drawing about 1.1 million and fielding a bad team. Today they draw over 2 million and still field a bad team. A lot has to do with the good job of marketing the Padres do.

2. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC will have 15K plus for the final two games...

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    colorado got some great promotions... us v mexico, uswnt, and july 4th... props to them, they got the butts in the seat

dallas, i believe, is an improvement over last year... and if it is, then they deserve props as well

personally, considering how i was in the early going for the fire's hopes, i'm awed and humbled... i hope the newbies go back with the team to soldier field after next year and i hope the people that aren't attending this year will return at soldier field... if that happens, the fire could have a large increase over last year's numbers (speaking for 2004)

DC and NE are incredible... lousy teams and they still draw... great fans... dc does some great work to retain their fans, but it often seems like ne's effort is lacking... and i don't mean the performance of either team on the field

columbus is a rock

new york needs an sss more than anyone (la doesn't get thrown into this argument because they are getting one)

it's my bet that la goes up next year in avg... opening a fantastic stadium... nothing against ccs, but this thing looks to be a true gem...

kc i believe is an improvement over last year.... they had 2 good draws this year (july 4th and a christian rock concert)... so they have shown they can get people out...

sj has been improving of late, i'd like to see what they can do with a front office that will have the chance to put in some hard work over the office season... narrow pitch, but friendly confines

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

cool, what are the reasons, sam?

5. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Igor and Fabbro.

6. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    for those interested...

based upon above figures...
    Average = 15,349

7. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    If the Revs can pull one off in Columbus this weekend look for them to pull in 20000 to 30000 for the last two home games. If the finale vs. NY/NJ is due or die for both teams I would not be suprised to see 35000 for this game. One can hope.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12,574 Regular season alone
    12,901 If you include the one home playoff game

Dallas has 2 home games left - a Thursday nighter v the Metros and a Saturday night against the Revs. Dallas should hopefully go up from 13,179.

MLSnet Avg: 15,362

We can kiss 16,000 goodbye for this year.

9. Im actually a little disappointed in DC's numbers....lats year they led the league in the stands and were last on the field. Now this year, I think there was more hype generated with Hudson, and all, that things could get turned around...and the fans seemed to have left. Unfortunate...

Have to agree with jmeissen bout Chitown, Naperville could be deemed a success if the Fire's attendence is a significant jump from 2001's. This would indicate a few things...

1) They've tapped into a new market in SW Chicago and showed fans what a packed house, with some soccer crazies is like.

2) Those fans that were too far/ couldnt get into Naperville are still there, and as happy as ever to get their team back in the city.

Overall...I think they'll draw 19,000 a game in 2004...but thats just my gut feeling.

San Jose has an advantge on many other teams...much like Columbus, a smaller crowd still looks good. I couldnt believe their last ESPN2 broatcast had less the 15,000. I thought it looked packed.... A little bit of work in the front office and we could be seein a 14k average.

Dallas has put up some VERY nice numbers every once in a while, but slide back down there to 11k a game. Consistancy is the key here...think next season they could hit 15k a game?

Kansas City is just disgusting....theyre the worst in the league because San Jose didnt have any special events, unlike KC which had 2 IIRC.

Itll be nice to see how many people come to Victoria Street next year. Seems as though (much like Chicago) theyre tapping into a new market, with many more people. We definately have to look at 20k next year.

The Metros seem to draw for big games...like against DC. I guess thats a good sign, as we know people are aware of the big games and when to show...just wish a little more would. 20k a possibility? Definately..but Id call it for bout 19k first....but a Non WC year, so maybe some special events to boots the numbers=)

Colorado...can they do it again? Frickin amazing. Theyre doin it all right...more power to em.

Columbus has also shown times of brilliance...18k a wed nite? Dayum! Every Wed nite game should be a Buck a Brat night. that'd boost wed nite numbers while keeping the promotion to only a few games a year.

The Revs are doin OK...I would look for their attendence to get a boost form their late season surge...IM only jelous United couldnt do the same.=(

10. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if this were to come true, I think it would be one of the top 4 attended games post 1996 that was not a July 4th game nor a double header of some sort.

From my limited memory, the only games that drew in this range that were not double headers were

NE vs NY/NJ, season finale 1997, drew 36,273 as a stand alone game.

I am also pretty sure the Hermosillo home debut and Hernandez's home debut drew in this range or better.

Can anyone think of any other games post 1996 that drew in this range that were not double headers or July 4th games?

Andy

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a list of all 30k+ crowds, though, I haven't updated it through the end of last year, I don't think. But see for yourself.

12. "Because you watch soccer, you're not actually required to renounce interest in any other sport or become a pseudo-European microbrew-clutching poseur or become a car-smashing Visigoth, despite what the no-neck Sports column disgorger at your local paper seems to think." ---Godot22

SamPierron, Best Sig I've seen yet on B.S. Apologies to Segroves.

13. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi Kenn,

I can fill in some of the ? for you

32 SAT 9/12/98 Columbus at New England 35,462 ?
    Doubleheader, USWNT vs Mexico

24 SUN 6/ 7/98 New England at Los Angeles 38,383 ?
    Carlos Hermosillo home debut

25 SAT 8/ 8/98 Los Angeles at Chicago 37,122 ?
    One of the few Hermosillo bumps and was a 1st vs 2nd place game

27 SUN 6/ 4/00 Kansas City at Chicago 36,469 ?
    Doubleheader Nike Cup 2000 Mexico vs Ireland

18 SAT 5/29/99 New England at MetroStars 43,192 ?
    Doubleheader Colombia-El Salvador

19 SAT 5/27/00 Chicago at MetroStars 41,609 ?
    Doubleheader Colombia-Jamaica

44 SAT 9/ 4/99 Tampa Bay at New England 30,547 ?
    Doubleheader USWNT vs Ireland

I think that should get rid of all but 2 of the ?'s.

I will continue to see if I can figure out what they are. Could you fill in these ?'s when you get a chance?

Andy

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Andy B would have to renounce his boycott of Revs matches and attend his first game of the year in 2002 and bring many family members and friends with him.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It's usually annoying when people promote their sites. Yours is one hell of an exception. Great stuff.

16. I'd like to go back and visit this post in 3 weeks. KC draws 4 figures on weekends.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I would, too, because Sam's not the type of person to make those predictions unless he knows something. And KC did finish pretty strong last year.

18. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Kenn,

I think your list only includes regular season games. The Fire had 35,000 for a semifinal on a beautiful Friday night back in 98. Nothing but a 70 degree October night and the prospect of good soccer drew 'em in.

19. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i thought that was the open cup final?

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yessir. Thank you. A total update of the whole thing will come when the season ends in three weeks, I don't want to have to do it twice. But I'll see if I can tweak those today.

Thank you, sir. It's not so much promoting the site as providing the information, and my site is just the best place to put it all for posterity.

Right on both counts. I did a separate playoff thing, but haven't put it back up yet. 32,744 for Los Angeles on Friday, October 16. Still the largest non-MLS Cup playoff match ever, if memory serves.

The Open Cup final two weeks later got 18,615.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yawn. Another pessimistic prediction from you. ;)

22. Ken,

You got me there. I love saying that to people.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All crowds over 30,000 in MLS

An updated list can be found here, with some question marks remaining.

56 games since 1996, 16 of them known DH's (I'm going to guess some of the question marks were DH's as well), 13 4th of July games, 5 Inaugural matches, and some home openers/home finales/debut of a star type games.

Enjoy.

24. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    As far as I know, the Revs have a hard limit of around 21k and only open up a portion of the lower bowl for soccer games.

25. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States