Season Ticket Info and Questions

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Scoey, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I bought 2010 season tickets (and placed a deposit for an additional 2011 MLS season ticket) yesterday. Here's what I learned in my brief talk with the ticket rep:

- they plan to cap season ticket sales at 14,000

- he didn't have an exact number of 2010 Timbers season tickets sold, but he guessitamed that about half of the sellout crowd (15,000 + change) for the opener were there on some form of season ticket (full plan, flex plan, half plan, etc.). This would comport with the number recently reported in the Business Journal that the Timbers currently have 7,000 season ticket holders. If true, that's pretty darn impressive, IMHO.

- he couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me how many people have paid deposits (as opposed to paid for 2010 season tickets).

- more info about seat selection process, etc. will be mailed out in June or July of this year.

Thank you. That is all.

2. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7,000 season tickets for 2nd division soccer is nuts. That really bodes well for attendance this season. Especially considering the walk up crowd we get here.

3. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I don't think its 7,000 full season ticket equivalents. I think its 7,000 people who hold some form of season ticket. Still, that is pretty crazy if its true. And, again, he was guessing. Also, if 7,000 people were there on some form of season ticket, its a fair assumption that a lot of them have also reserved an additional seat with a deposit, like I did. I honestly think he was trying to be evasive with the numbers, though, so take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm thinking tonight's game will draw one of the year's worst attendances, going head-to-head with the Blazers/Suns game. If it draws well (say, 7-8,000), I think Portland is in for a monster attendance year.

Does anybody know how they are dealing with season tickets in the Timbers Army/GA section (I love the army but am not involved and don't sit there). With the push to get as many season tickets as possible, will the general admission section sell out with season tickets, or will walkup still be available?

4. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word is that there will be a Timbers Army season ticket. So the TA will be different from GA. It'll be handled like any other season ticket, but if you want TA, you need to get TA when it comes time for you to pick your spot.

5. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think attendance tonight will be between 6,000-8,000. 2nd match of the year (always lowest), Blazers playoffs... THOUGH it's a Thursday, so cheap beer brings in the crowd. It's a great feeling with you begin thinking that 6-8k would be low. It wasn't long ago when that was higher than average.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, question is... Which gets more people. Portland's second home game on a Thirsty Thursday or the Sounders game in Frisco. I'm betting Portland.

7. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I'm not sure how this will work. I assume the TA season tickets will all go in certain designated sections (105-109?). So nobody who isn't committed to a season ticket can come sample the fun? Will a TA ticket be the only way to sit in the hardcore TA sections? How will the TA grow if the TA sections are limited to TA season ticket holders? I'm sure the front office has given this some thought and won't set up a system that will stifle TA growth, but I'm curious what the scheme will be.

8. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    6-8k would be a fantastic turnout, all things considered. The nice weather at this very moment will surely help walkup. I think the Blazer effect is not to be underestimated -- it will be keeping me away from the stadium tonight.

I'm actually betting on Dallas for numbers. Portland will have more noise, though!

9. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they did not announce the attendence but it was at least 7 could have been in the high 8s.

10. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    5,893 according to the Timbers website.

11. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    There will be a specifically branded and marketing Timbers Army season ticket. The Timbers Army will receive a portion of each season ticket and half-season ticket sale. There will still be a very limited number of single game tickets available. The Timbers Army area is conceived to run from Section 101-108.

Pricing details and a season ticket drive is tentatively scheduled to start on June 12th, with some highlights being a part of a US-England viewing party thrown by the Timbers in partnership with the Timbers Army.

12. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    That's correct. If you do not have a TA season ticket you will not be allowed to enter the section.

The TA section is not static. Every year we will meet with the front office to gauge our growth and needs. Like every other popular ticketed event, there will also probably be waiting lists to get in, which is one reason why it was important to get TA season ticket deposits registered this year. In the meantime, there's nothing stopping supporters from joining the chants, doing their own flags and banners, and spreading the love throughout the stadium.

You can also join 107ist

http://www.timbersarmy.org/107ist/

to be able to support the Timber Army's activities outside the stadium, get in on bus trips, get early notice on new merch items, and aprticipate in elections to select a representative body to advocate for your needs.

13. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bet you regretted that decision.

14. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    ...and how

15. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blazers got clowned that night and Timbers won 3 nil.

16. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah man that was a beautiful game. Played beautifully and even the chanting seemed more coherent. Either people were drinking less beer or people were drinking more. :D

Last night was fun, but man was that some down and dirty footie. Nice to scrape through the win.

Oh and I just went off topic. Carry on.

17. yabollox

yabollox New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    There will not be a TA section but rather a supporters section. The Timbers Army are allready all over the stadium thus the TA's growth will not be stunted. I would hope that the Portland Timbers management will keep a few sections GA next to the supporters section for expansion.