Season Ticket Holder Party - Don't Worry, Be Happy or Ask Questions?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by DavidJames, Sep 1, 2012.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    The season ticket holder party is coming up next Sunday. When I go, I usually get my grub hang around and leave.

When things are going like this I'm tempted to ask some question, but usually don't, except for one occasion when I did engage Jeff Plush. He was very cordial assured me everyone felt our pain, we smiled and went our separate ways. He to share the pain with another and me wondering why I just wasted perfectly good oxygen.

I'm tempted to try it again, not because I expect some earth shattering information, but just to hear which random platitude drops onto their lips.

Me: What's it like being the Coach/Technical Directory/President of one of the worst teams in MLS?
    Them: It's been a challenging year, no one is giving up, we fought for 90 minutes, Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
    Me: WTF?

I honestly believe they are in as much pain (or more) then fans. I believe each thinks they are doing the best they can and the results simply don't reflect that. I also suspect each one is pretty sure it's they other guy(s) that needs to get their act together. So I ask myself, what value is there in asking them any "tough" questions? I take no comfort in watching someone squirm. I also doubt anything I ask hasn't already occurred to them, if only in the midst of a hellish nightmare, so I don't expect my question will invoke a eureka moment provoking a flash of insight enabling them to turn the ship around.

So at this point, my approach will be to grab the grub, watch others win the swag and try to remember where I parked the car.

What do you plan on doing?

2. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have a bite, be cordial and friendly with the players and remember they aren't enjoying this season either.

fhnkeeper03 repped this.
  3. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I go, I'll eat, maybe try to get a few photos with team members make small talk and leave.

Sure, the fact that the team sucks is going to be an 800 pound gorilla in the room for everyone, but picking their brain just to hear a bunch of platitudes seems kinda pointless. Clearly, the team is not where it's supposed to be, and you're right, they are probably in more pain than the fans cause of how much they have to lose. If the Rapids lose every game they've got left, the fans just get annoyed, rage about it on the internet and go on with their lives; however at least one (or all) of Parinchv0 (is that what we decided on?) would almost certainly lose his job if that happened.

I think they're already feeling the pressure, they don't need reminders of it from a fan at a cocktail party. Just my 2 cents though....

4. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be out of town but I would like to know if they still claim " attractive possession soccer" is there goal- since we saw zero of it this year.

Are they finally ready to dismantle this aged team.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The part I struggle with is trying to swallow food while hearing their endless excuses. After this season, I don't think I could hold down the food.

I'll just stay at home and save the gas money.

6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    ME: Serious question; why haven't they fired you yet?

7. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kroenke's going to be there?

jayd8888 repped this.
  8. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a horrible STH party. Nachos & pretzels w/soda (no dogs/burgers or better). Argus security setup a runway block-off for presenting the new jersey f/Drew. Exactly 2hrs when people were ushered out.

What would I do? Unlimited photo sessions for 2hrs from 10am to noon. Free lunch (more than burgers/dogs but also offer that for kiddies). Actual party starts at noon to eat w/players and staff. Have a quick player intro late lunch. Games after. Have part of field for fans and 1/4 of field for a Rapids player competition (soccer tennis, distance volley-soccer elimination, heading competition, speed drill, etc.). Have the Rapids players participating near west stands so people can watch and keep track of the individual/overall winners and preset 1st/2nd/3rd winners prizes (necklace gold/silver/bronze medals). Fans cheer on their favorites during the events. Culminate with the jersey unveiling and have a front/back two jerseys on easles for viewing by fans in addition to a player/two model the new kit. Finish with free ice cream and let people hand around for an extra hour if they want.

But the front office and owner are COMPLETE SHVTE!!! So this will never happen.

Jasonma repped this.
  9. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the cheapest and least fun STH party I've been to in 6 years. Even the raffle used to have a LOT of winners, this one seemed far less generous with the amount and quality of prizes.

Also, I saw Bravo floating around but not Hinchey or Pareja. Did anyone see them?

10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Hinchey busy looking at C.V.s, Pareja busy working on his?

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between reports here and on Facebook, sounds like it was a lousy party, especially if you didn't have young kids. Glad I made the choice to stay home and watch the NFL.

12. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    We didn't go either. Reading the emails yesterday and waiver it didn't seem like something I would be interested in.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    A guy working the autograph line had a list of people who weren't there, I heard him say Oscar would not be there. I didn't see Hinchey but also wasn't looking for him.

I was looking for Pablo, but heard he was down on the field when I was there. I did see Edu in an autograph booth with Zapata and Castrillon, so I guess he is still around.

14. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That or they were righting up some rules for the team's use of social media. "If you know someone has asked for a transfer or any other player movement, do not mention..."

jayd8888 repped this.
  15. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Wish I could have gone, I've been up in Wyoming :alien:.

16. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I went and it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't fantastic either. It's the first I've actually showed up for, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was a little surprised that they didn't have hotdogs and hamburgers out. Then I thought about it and realized that KSE still owns the team and I stopped being surprised.

Brian Mullan gave my kid a balloon, which made my day (the kid is one and had no idea what was going on). Granted the balloon kept wacking him in the back of the head and I'm pretty sure he'd been searching for a good excuse to get rid of it for the better part of the day.

17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I've only been to a couple, the one Sunday and the one at Toby Keith's. This one was far more spread out, as players were on the field, at autograph stations at the south corners, and playing games along the east side (foosball, corn hole, etc.). OTOH you could hear each other speak as you didn't have to fight the music. Since so many people were queued up for the locker room tour and the autograph stations, there were plenty of chances to talk to players who were at the game stations.

The food was meh for sure, but there wasn't a huge amount at Toby Keith's, either.

It did seem better for kids as they could run around on the field and play games with the players.