Post-match: SEASON FINALE - MLS MATCHDAY 34 CREW @ SWAMP CATS SUNDAY OCT 9TH 2:30PM. (ORLANDO)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Oct 7, 2022.

?

RESULT

Poll closed Oct 9, 2022.
  1. CREW WIN BY 2 OR MORE AKA CALEB PORTER MASTER CLASS

13.5%
  2. CREW WIN BY 1

2.7%
  3. DRAW (CANADIAN WIN)

29.7%
  4. CREW LOSE BY 1

13.5%
  5. CREW LOSE BY 2 OR MORE AKA COACHBOT 9000 DISASTER CLASS

5.4%
  6. THANK GOD ITS OVER - ALL OF US

5.4%
  7. ONE SHINING MOMENT - CREW SCORE GWG IN 92ND MINUTE OR LATER, CREW WIN AND QUALIFY (WORTH 10 POINTS)

29.7%
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Here is the thing.....there are fans that have their personal identity so tied to their fandom of the Crew that they need to blame something other than the team's actual performance, than the coaching, than the player acquisition.

So they hold onto conspiracy. Garber, the logo, the illuminati. They need to believe their identity wasn't wasted following a club that is a total embarrassment on and off the field....so they choose conspiracy. They challenge fans that would suggest the season was a failure.

This season was an abject failure. In every possible way. It is what it was, and it was gross.

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Or it could be an attempt at humor.

3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was unable to watch due to having family in hospital care but was able to tell who was the lone Crew fan in the waiting area.

A 2-1 loss after taking a lead is the appropriate end cap on this entire season of just barely enough to be average and tread water. I'm not going to just blame Porter for everything but there probably needs to be a come to Jesus meeting somewhere. On paper we should probably be in the playoffs but this underscores that you can't build a stadium, acquire some high quality players and expect instant results.

I think Ty Conklin said this but "every point counts" and it's true. It's a cruel thing but unless you are perennial bottom or top tier team that can afford to not to claw, scratch and fight for standings it is a reality to deal with and the Crew failed that.

Pauncho, Bill Archer and hardhead repped this.
  4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team is sorely lacking in leaders. Mensah, at his peak, was one, but in the quiet, lead by example kind of way. But as a defender, there’s only so much he could do. I can’t think of anyone, these past two years, who’s the kind of player who other players will follow, who looks and acts like a winner. It’s as if they all expect someone else to be playing that role.

5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was up the road this afternoon helping my dad with some projects. Did not even check on the score from kickoff until I knew it would be over—around 5:15.

I figured we’d be up by a goal and then give up a goal in the last 15,’ and draw our way into the playoffs.

I was right about the giving up a goal in the last 15,’ but that prediction isn’t rocket surgery.

I can’t think of a previous occasion on which I wanted the Crew to lose. In retrospect, I’m glad we did.

Porter out. Clean the house.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  6. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a sh!tty attempt at humor.

F#ck that. I am pissed we lost. I hate Porter, dropping points to the worst ********ing teams in each conference, and getting our ass handed to us yet again by a minor league team.

I will never bathe in the hog-shit of happiness with a Crew loss.

Also, hopefully this has a ring of truth.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  7. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Uh no it’s just a horrible owner the Browns suck our FO sucks and i have 0 faith in the Haslams doing anything right . The logo change and the lies and comments about fans shows they don’t give a f about Columbus

8. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, I don’t think the original poster of that truly believes “the soccer gods are sending us bad karma because of our crappy logo” or some such. He’s been pretty vocal about how poor of a group of players Bez has assembled. And I’ve stated that a good coach changes tactics when things aren’t working and also is able to get the most out of his players—two things Porter has shown he’s incapable of. Blaming the “soccer gods” was an excuse used by the Bearded Clam back in the ‘00’s.

AND we have a poorly designed, crappy-ass logo that very few people actually like. Yep—two years with the logo, two years missing the playoffs. Coincidence? Of course it is.

Porter can be a $h!tty coach AND we can have a $h!tty logo. It’s not either/or. And Dong Arbor is an @sshole for his complicity in trying to help Trust Fund Baby move our team out of Columbus.

Now, let’s cut Porter free, rework the roster, and do some damage in 2023. When is the 2023 schedule announced?

9. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta say we had a pretty good day in Orlando: Jewish Deli for lunch, club seats with free food & drinks at the stadium, very polite and hospitable OCFC fans around us - most of whom were Ohio ex-pats - and gorgeous weather for it all. Couldn't have asked for a better day.

Oh, right. Except for Caleb F*cking Porter shitting the bed once again when this time all he actually needed was a tie. Left another sub unused (and don't ask me who'd I'd put in - with the season on the line and nothing to lose how about Igbekeme for Nagbe? Try literally anyf*ckingthing) and no new ideas or tactics. From my view both Cucho and LZ appear to be shells of their former selves and bounce between playing hero ball and jogging around aimlessly. Caleb has well and truly driven this group of players into the ground.

Caleb Porter should sell his house and give every Crew season ticket holder a couple hundred dollars as restitution for 3 of his 4 seasons here. I wish him nothing but the best in his upcoming AppleTV career, cause I hope to Guillermo he never manages another MLS team.

Kyle Crew, Minnman, CybrSlydr and 2 others repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys bitching about the logo conversation are missing the point.

The logo IS responsible. That's gotta be the message. Because if we can convince enough people it's the truth... maybe they'll change it back. :)

Kryptonite, TKyle and Paul171121 repped this.
  11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, with the season ending, there isn't much of a sense of urgency for this, but any word on Etienne's injury?

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  12. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Because Columbus sailed the ocean blue I have tomorrow off. I hope to wake up to a black and white picture of Caleb Porter with a quote from Dr. Pete thanking him for his time and sending him on his way.

At Land-Grant I heard the same rumor that I have heard before about Porter losing the locker room in 2020 and never getting it back. I found it interesting that when Lucas scored Wednesday he ran to the assistant coach and not porter.

Crew 2 has loads of leaders, and they all like Courtois. The happiest I've seen Crew players this season is during Cucho's first appearances and when they were watching Crew 2. I don't think the Haslams will hire him, a first time head coach, in a sport they don't know much about.

But I look forward to our arguments in the replacement of CB9K thread.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just waiting to see if what I heard is true or not. (Not necessarily about that, but the last bit reminded me of something I heard about the FO a week or so ago.)

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the rate things went this year, when does the 2023 MLS Next Pro schedule come out? The Capybaras have a championship to defend!

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a year left on my contract and I'm not a quitter. I love this club. I love my guys. I gave everything I had this year. I can honestly say that. I’m at peace with how much I gave; it doesn't mean I was perfect,” Porter said. “I definitely made mistakes this year. And clearly when you fall short the coaches are responsible. It's not just me, we are a club, there were more mistakes than me. But at the end of the day, the buck stops with me.”

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has 5 months to recover, if he even comes back with his contract expiring now.

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He gave everything. So… things can’t get better than this? Yikes. Dude has zero PR ability.

18. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Or... "I gave everything I could but others didnt."

Or

"I gave everything I could with what I was given to work with."

19. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    I fully expect to be mocked for this, but I'm very much reminded of the words from Just Once, the bittersweet James Ingram/Quincy Jones song from years ago:

"I did my best
    But I guess my best wasn't good enough
    Cause here we are
    Back where we were before
    Seems nothin' ever changes....

Just once...

Can't we figure out what we keep doin' wrong
    Why we never last for very long
    What are we doin' wrong

Just once...

Can't we find a way to finally make it right
    To make the magic last for more than just one night

I gave my all
    But I think my all may have been too much
    Cause Lord knows we're not gettin' anywhere
    Seems we're always blowin'
    Whatever we've got goin'
    And it seems at times with all we've got
    We haven't got a prayer"

TKyle, zman31 and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  20. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I’ll go with the latter

21. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    Is he fired yet or what ?

22. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    It may seem counterintuitive to some, but more and more I'm becoming convinced that winning the Cup in 2020 was the worst thing that could have happened. It papered over a whole bunch of problems and gave management a pass for two years when they should have building the club for the future instead of plugging the occasional hole while demanding our trust and loyalty: "Hey, we won the Cup so obviously we know what we're doing and you should trust us"

And it's taken until now for most fans to say "No, you clearly don't"

LaMacchia repped this.
  23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that’s a load of shit.

The whole point of sports is to win championships. There’s no way you can try to spin it that winning a championship is a bad thing.

If we hadn’t won in 2020, would we be in a better position right now because we would’ve started rebuilding sooner? Possibly. But the trade-off is, we won a championship. The team might be better off right now this second, but with one less title.

stanger, TRUJDUB21, POdinCowtown and 7 others repped this.
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think long term, Cucho will be fine. I think it's probable with a new manager or new voice in the locker room next season he's likely to approach or exceed 20 goals.

However, all the blown leads, the Porter pressers, and several other embarrassing moments have papered over the fact that our DP striker scored 1 goal in his final 8 games. Somehow he got off 48 shots over that stretch and put 12 on net, but only one goal to show for it. More talented and prolific strikers have been labeled wasteful for better stretches than that.

Cucho built up a lot of good will with his hot start. And god knows this fanbase needs something/someone to believe in. But Cucho's drought over the final 8 games is one of many reasons we missed the playoffs. And one of many reasons to make a change at manager for next season.

LaMacchia, TRUJDUB21, zman31 and 2 others repped this.
  25. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And it wasn’t inevitable that we’d be in this situation. Porter’s inabilities as a coach notwithstanding, we’ve spent real cash on some players who simply failed to perform. Matan, being a prime example, but there are many others. We’re fortunate we still have a decent core, including two very talented attacking players in Lucas and Cucho. Fortunate, as well, that we have some promising young talent, like Morris and some of the Crew 2 guys.

For all the missteps, this team isn’t far away from being, well, maybe not a contender, but not far off. Trouble is, ownership is going to need to make an inspired choice as regards the next coach, it’s going to have to be willing to throw good money after bad and buy out Molino. And then there’s the Bez situation and a scouting operation that’s flagged players like Matan and Cadden for greatness.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.